Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sunnyjim1234
    • By sunnyjim1234 9th Sep 17, 10:10 AM
    • 28Posts
    • 3Thanks
    sunnyjim1234
    Annual allowance
    • 9th Sep 17, 10:10 AM
    Annual allowance 9th Sep 17 at 10:10 AM
    Hi, I'm hoping some of the experts on here can answer this.
    I finished work in May 2017 and in that month I received a 6k employers contribution to my SIPP. No other contributions this year.
    I was planning on commencing drawdown in January 2018.
    If I take anything other than a tax free sum, will I fall foul of the new rules regarding annual allowance reducing to 4k, which I believe will be backdated to April 2017.
    Or does the rule apply to contributions made after the pension withdrawal?
    Many Thanks
    James
Page 1
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 9th Sep 17, 12:31 PM
    • 89,546 Posts
    • 55,992 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 9th Sep 17, 12:31 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 12:31 PM
    In the first tax year that the MPAA applies, it is only contributions paid to money purchase arrangements after the trigger event that are measured against the MPAA.

The contributions paid before or on the trigger date will be measured against the alternative annual allowance (£40,000 less the MPAA). Those paid after the trigger date are measured against the MPAA.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,891Posts Today

9,328Users online

Martin's Twitter