Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SarahDFW
    • By SarahDFW 9th Sep 17, 9:51 AM
    • 11Posts
    • 1Thanks
    SarahDFW
    Discovered unknown defaults
    • 9th Sep 17, 9:51 AM
    Discovered unknown defaults 9th Sep 17 at 9:51 AM
    I have discovered British Gas has wrongly reported I have defaulted on payments.

I notified them I had left address in Dec 2014 and that my ex husband was remaining in the property
    I was told no money owed and never asked for forwarding address etc.
    Found out today I have missed payments appearing on Equifax starting from Feb2015 until now

I'm trying to deal with this supposed debt with British gas as it seems to there error. Question is, should it be coming up as red unpaid every month since then? I'm trying to figure out how to get this removed fromEquifax

Thanks
Page 1
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 9th Sep 17, 11:04 AM
    • 26,034 Posts
    • 10,383 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 9th Sep 17, 11:04 AM
    • 9th Sep 17, 11:04 AM
    You complain to BG if you instructed them you have left the property and gave final readings and paid your final bill.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 9th Sep 17, 11:58 AM
    • 12,455 Posts
    • 11,854 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 9th Sep 17, 11:58 AM
    • 9th Sep 17, 11:58 AM
    Complain to British gas in the first instance.

If they cannot uphold your complaint, then, depending on their explanation, the next step is the ICO (Information commissionaires office).
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • nic_c
    • By nic_c 9th Sep 17, 1:04 PM
    • 1,088 Posts
    • 620 Thanks
    nic_c
    • 9th Sep 17, 1:04 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 1:04 PM
    Equifax only put down what BGas tell them, so it is with BGas you need to complain. If you have proof that nothing was owed (in writing) that will strengthen your case.
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 9th Sep 17, 1:53 PM
    • 1,418 Posts
    • 1,865 Thanks
    shortcrust
    • 9th Sep 17, 1:53 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 1:53 PM
    Itís only one default, not a new one each month. Itís displayed like that to show that the account is still in default as opposed to repaid or settled.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,015Posts Today

8,278Users online

Martin's Twitter