Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • samfuller
    • By samfuller 9th Sep 17, 9:44 AM
    • 6Posts
    • 4Thanks
    samfuller
    A fine based on intentions?
    • 9th Sep 17, 9:44 AM
    A fine based on intentions? 9th Sep 17 at 9:44 AM
    Hi there

I know this might be annoying for some, but I think I might have a slightly different case (?) so wondered if I could ask the question:

I parked at a place run, it seems, by premier parking solutions (a member of IPC), with the intention of eating at the pub in which the land is on. The signs stated that the car park is for customers only. I parked my car just before 10, but the restaurant was closed. So, I decided to take a walk and come back when it opened. When I walked back I saw that I had a parking ticket (in fact it states : seen at 10.01 and fine issued at 10.17 for £100 pound).

How can they make a case that I was not planning to be a customer? Should I appeal, make a case to the owner of the restaurant, or just follow the guidelines in the newbie thread and do nothing for a month - until PPS contact me? Any thoughts? Suggestions?
    Many thanks and cheers for helping everyone out!
    Sam
Page 1
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 9th Sep 17, 9:47 AM
    • 7,521 Posts
    • 7,556 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 9th Sep 17, 9:47 AM
    • 9th Sep 17, 9:47 AM
    Your case is no different - you are overthinking things. PPCs just want money and don't care about how they get it.

This is not a fine.

The Newbies Sticky will light your way.
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 9th Sep 17, 9:50 AM
    • 14,537 Posts
    • 22,876 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    • 9th Sep 17, 9:50 AM
    • 9th Sep 17, 9:50 AM
    Complain very strongly to the restaurant. Send the IPC operator appeal to the PPC around day 26 (electronically) or day 23 if they only accept appeals by post. The NEWBIES FAQ sticky, post # 1 explains it.

If your user name is your real name, get it changed as PPCs read this forum and threads should therefore be anonymous.

Your case is not even slightly different to the hundreds we deal with each week.
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 9th Sep 17, 10:27 AM
    • 7,004 Posts
    • 6,073 Thanks
    The Deep
    • 9th Sep 17, 10:27 AM
    • 9th Sep 17, 10:27 AM
    If the restaurant fail to get it cancelled, tell the world about it on Facebook/TripAdviser and local pub guides.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • Half_way
    • By Half_way 9th Sep 17, 11:45 AM
    • 3,772 Posts
    • 5,334 Thanks
    Half_way
    • 9th Sep 17, 11:45 AM
    • 9th Sep 17, 11:45 AM
    Quick question, did you eat at the restaurant after it had opened?
    if you dd it will gve you more leverage, and as you were a customer their agents, the parking company had no just cause to issue a ticket/access your data and so on
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
    • samfuller
    • By samfuller 9th Sep 17, 5:54 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    samfuller
    • 9th Sep 17, 5:54 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 5:54 PM
    Hi there all. Thanks for all your feedback. I went into the pub and was going to still order food and a drink a bit later in the day, but then I thought: 'I dont want to give them any more money' and decided against it. I suppose I should have ordered, but I was pretty cross and fed up about the fine. Sort of ruined my day and lost them money, as my wife was going to meet me there. Anyway, will follow all your advice and thanks for taking the time. Cheers.
    SF
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

36Posts Today

3,490Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin