Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • set
    • By set 9th Sep 17, 8:40 AM
    • 232Posts
    • 42Thanks
    set
    Storage heaters help new flat
    • 9th Sep 17, 8:40 AM
    Storage heaters help new flat 9th Sep 17 at 8:40 AM
    Hi

We have been in our new home for almost 3 weeks (I'm ruddy knackered but we love it) we have two storage heaters Dimplex Economy 7, We thought we best try them out last night, well we tried the one in the livingroom. We switch it on at the plug, no light came on (which we expected) then later on the light came on when economy 7 started we presume. We had imput to 4 and output to 1. Thought we were in the ruddy tropics this morning so I guess they work! Think we will try imput to 2 and output to 1 tonight. The light at the plus is still on now so does that mean that light will stay on all the time now. Sorry if it sounds like a dumb question but haven't got a clue! If it's too hot and I switch it off at the plug during the day does that mean it will stop giving out heat? I've had to open windows for now haha

Thanks
Page 1
    • set
    • By set 9th Sep 17, 8:49 AM
    • 232 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    set
    • 9th Sep 17, 8:49 AM
    • 9th Sep 17, 8:49 AM
    Oops just had a look and the light is now off. Need to check what time economy 7? Stops and starts
    • set
    • By set 9th Sep 17, 9:09 AM
    • 232 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    set
    • 9th Sep 17, 9:09 AM
    • 9th Sep 17, 9:09 AM
    Forget post, I'm a moron! Think I've figured it out, it's amazing what you discover if you go online and read some instructions! Move along nothing to see here haha
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 9th Sep 17, 9:25 AM
    • 27,031 Posts
    • 13,157 Thanks
    Cardew
    • 9th Sep 17, 9:25 AM
    • 9th Sep 17, 9:25 AM
    RTFM rules OK
    • frugalmacdugal
    • By frugalmacdugal 9th Sep 17, 9:35 AM
    • 6,162 Posts
    • 5,291 Thanks
    frugalmacdugal
    • 9th Sep 17, 9:35 AM
    • 9th Sep 17, 9:35 AM
    Hi,

well done, though I would have output set to 0 all the time, idea is that you open it up when wanting a bit extra heat (output), no point having a hot room at night when in bed, or during the day when at work.

The more heat loss the more it costs to heat up again.
    Y'all take care now.
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 9th Sep 17, 9:42 AM
    • 4,857 Posts
    • 3,856 Thanks
    glentoran99
    • 9th Sep 17, 9:42 AM
    • 9th Sep 17, 9:42 AM
    input always as high as it will go, that way it wont run out by the evening,
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 9th Sep 17, 11:14 AM
    • 2,445 Posts
    • 654 Thanks
    AndyPK
    • 9th Sep 17, 11:14 AM
    • 9th Sep 17, 11:14 AM
    input always as high as it will go, ,
    Originally posted by glentoran99
    In the middle of winter, yes
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 9th Sep 17, 11:15 AM
    • 2,445 Posts
    • 654 Thanks
    AndyPK
    • 9th Sep 17, 11:15 AM
    • 9th Sep 17, 11:15 AM
    so that one works,

test the other one now with low settings.

A hour maybe enough to check its getting warm
    • macman
    • By macman 9th Sep 17, 8:14 PM
    • 41,351 Posts
    • 17,001 Thanks
    macman
    • 9th Sep 17, 8:14 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 8:14 PM
    Switching them off during the day will do nothing, as they only draw power on overnight cheap rate.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • knightstyle
    • By knightstyle 9th Sep 17, 9:12 PM
    • 4,454 Posts
    • 1,641 Thanks
    knightstyle
    Best to think of them as background heating only. Keep them turned down low on input and zero on output. Then they will keep the flat slightly warm and mould free.
    Use a separate heater/fire in the living room when needed.
    This is the best MSE way to use storage heaters.
    Plus check which tariff you are on as some put the whole flat on cheap electricity at night so you can use the washing machine, dishwasher etc. at night on cheap electricity.
    • Torry Quine
    • By Torry Quine 9th Sep 17, 9:18 PM
    • 16,996 Posts
    • 25,997 Thanks
    Torry Quine
    I can't remember the last time my storage heaters were put up to the highest input and I rarely open the output either. Despite this my home is warm enough without any other heating. They are an effective way to heat a home
    Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving . Albert Einstein.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
    • Richie-from-the-Boro
    • By Richie-from-the-Boro 9th Sep 17, 10:40 PM
    • 6,327 Posts
    • 4,759 Thanks
    Richie-from-the-Boro
    A brick is a brick :

- each brick will hold 1.48kWh of cheap heat and depending on insulation will release it over the next 17 hours
    - each of the (up to 4) vertical 850W elements sits in the gap between 4 of these bricks
    - each brick is 230x190x50 - if you divide the total amount of heat you want by 1.48 you know how much stored heat you need
    - a NSH tin comes in 4 varieties up to a 16 bricker 16 x 1.48kW = 23.8kWh of stored heat

Input is what you feel you need for the season / month of the year Output on mine is set to zero and has been since I first used them 3 dwellings and 40 years ago. You fill them with the cheap stuff and let radiation do its thing, output which is convection and not radiation is for ceilings and I'm one of those who's feet are on the floor not the ceiling. Best of luck.
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
    • set
    • By set 14th Sep 17, 7:11 AM
    • 232 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    set
    Sorry didnt only just seen these replies. Thanks very much. I will check the MSE link for storage heaters. I dont think we will have the output set too high even in winter as we can stand it too warm. Thanks again for replies. :-)
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 14th Sep 17, 12:14 PM
    • 2,445 Posts
    • 654 Thanks
    AndyPK
    If you don't like it hot, you keep the input down, and save ££
    • lstar337
    • By lstar337 14th Sep 17, 2:33 PM
    • 3,263 Posts
    • 1,756 Thanks
    lstar337
    Sorry didnt only just seen these replies. Thanks very much. I will check the MSE link for storage heaters. I dont think we will have the output set too high even in winter as we can stand it too warm. Thanks again for replies. :-)
    Originally posted by set
    The output should always be down. Don't touch it unless you need a boost.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

293Posts Today

1,499Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin