Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Hil6
    • By Hil6 9th Sep 17, 8:17 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Hil6
    Mortgage offer taking months ...
    • 9th Sep 17, 8:17 AM
    Mortgage offer taking months ... 9th Sep 17 at 8:17 AM
    Any advice on what I can do? Applied for mortgage end of April and still no offer / mortgage deed. Self employed and a BTL going through same time as new residential mortgage. They say something will take 24hrs and it takes a week or two for them to process / look at it. We are near loosing the new house as taking so long. Going through a financial advisor who calls them every day. Don't know what to keep saying to the estate agent 5 months on ...
Page 1
    • jim2334
    • By jim2334 9th Sep 17, 9:02 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    jim2334
    • 9th Sep 17, 9:02 AM
    • 9th Sep 17, 9:02 AM
    Call them direct, its your mortgage not the FA's and the FA can't be doing that good a job if they can't give you a clear picture of why its taking weeks.
    • Fiesto88
    • By Fiesto88 9th Sep 17, 9:07 AM
    • 112 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    Fiesto88
    • 9th Sep 17, 9:07 AM
    • 9th Sep 17, 9:07 AM
    Which lender is it? Five months is a ridiculously long time to still be chasing an application. Most lenders are very strict in that if they don't have everything they need from your broker within around 10-15 working days, they'll mark the case as inactive and stop chasing.

If it was me, I'd demand that my broker told me exactly what's going on and what they're waiting for. They obviously aren't doing a very good job of escalating things if it's gone on this long and I think I'd have given up and used a different broker long before now.
    • ACG
    • By ACG 9th Sep 17, 9:13 AM
    • 15,749 Posts
    • 8,044 Thanks
    ACG
    • 9th Sep 17, 9:13 AM
    • 9th Sep 17, 9:13 AM
    Who is the lender?
    Do you know what is causing the problems?

If I did not have a mortgage offer within 2-3 weeks without a good reason, I would move on to a new lender. It rarely takes more than 2 weeks to get an offer issued.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • Fiesto88
    • By Fiesto88 9th Sep 17, 9:15 AM
    • 112 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    Fiesto88
    • 9th Sep 17, 9:15 AM
    • 9th Sep 17, 9:15 AM
    Call them direct, its your mortgage not the FA's and the FA can't be doing that good a job if they can't give you a clear picture of why its taking weeks.
    Originally posted by jim2334
    Entirely the OP's choice, but personally I wouldn't suggest doing this. Some lenders will not deal directly with the mortgage applicant where the case originated from an intermediary. If they will speak to you, if you're not careful about what you say, you're running the risk of prejudicing your own application. It also creates more opportunities for miscommunication and misunderstanding.

I'd firmly suggest that either the broker gets it moving or you will request to visit their office and have them call to chase things up with you present and able to hear the conversation.
    • amnblog
    • By amnblog 9th Sep 17, 10:15 AM
    • 10,000 Posts
    • 3,892 Thanks
    amnblog
    • 9th Sep 17, 10:15 AM
    • 9th Sep 17, 10:15 AM
    Entirely the OP's choice, but personally I wouldn't suggest doing this. Some lenders will not deal directly with the mortgage applicant where the case originated from an intermediary. If they will speak to you, if you're not careful about what you say, you're running the risk of prejudicing your own application. It also creates more opportunities for miscommunication and misunderstanding.
    Originally posted by Fiesto88
    Agreed, a big no no for the reasons stated above.

That said, even for the most experience advisors these cases happy occasionally. As a minimum your advisor should be letting you know what is going on every week so you at least understand what is causing the delays. If the Lender is not performing, you also need to understand why another Lender has not been approached.

Call your advisor on Monday and let them know exactly what you expect from them going forward.
    I am a Mortgage Broker

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • middy991
    • By middy991 9th Sep 17, 10:36 AM
    • 37 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    middy991
    • 9th Sep 17, 10:36 AM
    • 9th Sep 17, 10:36 AM
    Ours went in on the 10th of August but looking on the lenders website documents and post are at least 2 weeks behind
    • amnblog
    • By amnblog 9th Sep 17, 11:32 AM
    • 10,000 Posts
    • 3,892 Thanks
    amnblog
    • 9th Sep 17, 11:32 AM
    • 9th Sep 17, 11:32 AM
    Come back in February if you want to compete with our original poster Middy.

That's how long its been.
    I am a Mortgage Broker

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,543Posts Today

7,376Users online

Martin's Twitter