Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • David9Points
    • By David9Points 9th Sep 17, 8:10 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    David9Points
    Car Stereo Warranty
    • 9th Sep 17, 8:10 AM
    Car Stereo Warranty 9th Sep 17 at 8:10 AM
    I purchased a car stereo from a legitimate online retailer. It was a refurb unit that they were selling under their business name on eBay. It came with a 30 day warranty and it broke after about 90 days.

Because it was only a 30 day warranty I wen directly to the manufacturer to see about advice/repairs to the unit. They have said that I needed proof of purchase before they can complete the repairs for free.

So I emailed them a copy of the eBay and PayPal receipt. However, they do not accept this as proof of purchase. They need a VAT receipt (so they say)

I'm now faced with a bill to repair the unit that approximately equals the amount I paid for the original unit.

I tried to get a VAT receipt from the company I purchased from, but they're refusing because it's over 90 days.

Any help/advice please?
Page 1
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 9th Sep 17, 9:56 AM
    • 2,195 Posts
    • 1,114 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    • 9th Sep 17, 9:56 AM
    • 9th Sep 17, 9:56 AM
    Ask a mod (send them a PM) to move this thread to the Consumer Rights forum where you will find loads of helpful advice. Mods on this board are: - Nile, silvercar, Cornucopia
    • Nile
    • By Nile 9th Sep 17, 7:08 PM
    • 14,225 Posts
    • 14,160 Thanks
    Nile
    • 9th Sep 17, 7:08 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 7:08 PM
    Hi, we move threads if we think they’ll get more help elsewhere (please read the forum rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board. If you have any questions about this policy please email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.

I’ve moved your thread from the ‘In my home’ board to the ‘Consumer Rights’ board, where it is better suited.

Regards

Nile
    Hi, I'm the Board Guide on the In my home (includes DIY) and the I wanna buy-it or do-it boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
    • SouthUKMan
    • By SouthUKMan 9th Sep 17, 11:00 PM
    • 371 Posts
    • 296 Thanks
    SouthUKMan
    • 9th Sep 17, 11:00 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 11:00 PM
    Quite a few thoughts here...

1) Others please correct me if I am am wrong, but my limited understanding of the Consumer Rights Act means that an item bought second hand / refurbished / pre-loved from a trader (as opposed a private sale) means that you have pretty much the same rights as when you buy new. In other words goods must be as described, of satisfactory quality, and fit for purpose. An item that breaks after 90 days does not fit this description in my opinion.

2) Don't be fobbed off by the traders '30 days warranty'. While a warranty is welcome, it does not replace your statutory rights. To put it another way, even though the warranty has expired - your legal rights haven't. Sadly though, you will find many, many small traders don't understand this point. However, the small claims court does

3) If an item is sold as 'refurbished' (as opposed to second hand) that suggests that some level of skilled assessment and / or repair has taken place. In my opinion an item should therefore last longer than 90 days.

4) Your consumer rights and any claims are with the retailer and not the manufacturer. This is important as you do not have a contract with the manufacturer. The manufacturer is legally allowed to charge you for a repair if it wants to, although there are some manufacturers (thankfully) that recognise that customer service and good will is more important and will therefore repair items for free even though they don't have an obligation to do so.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

179Posts Today

1,761Users online

Martin's Twitter