Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • threepenny bit
    • By threepenny bit 9th Sep 17, 5:14 AM
    • 210Posts
    • 1,728Thanks
    threepenny bit
    Time is a ticking!
    • 9th Sep 17, 5:14 AM
    Time is a ticking! 9th Sep 17 at 5:14 AM
    I have been a member here for 4 years and have scratched around doing SOA, trying to snowball etc but not been at all accountable and now is the time to get on with it!
    So, I have started to think about retirement - probably have 6 years left before I can retire and really don't want to be in a difficult position not being able to afford things.
    I have a small pension from the UK, hubby will have a UK pension as well as one here in N America. I won't have a pension here as I am self employed and so cannot contribute - I have started to put away some cash each month in a savings account though; probably not the best return but it has easy access if I need it.
    We have debts on CC and store cards of $42,500 as well as a car loan and buildings loan. We also have a home loan but that is very low interest and is not worth paying extra onto it while we have CC with a higher rate.
    I have a cc (JV1) that I took out specially for a piece of medical equipment I needed and has $4200 on it, I'm hoping to get back $3000 from my health insurance and then work first on paying this card off with minimum payments on others. Once I pay this off I will snowball the payment to other cards.
    I know what I should do but find it hard to stick to anything as I get a bit bogged down with trying to pay things and then it not working.
    I am determined this time though and hubby is on board so please wish me luck and send me a swift kick up the bum when needed!!
    x
    1st challenge to pay CC (JV1) 0/$1850 updated
    Work on selling items and decluttering
Page 2
    • threepenny bit
    • By threepenny bit 3rd Oct 17, 1:44 AM
    • 210 Posts
    • 1,728 Thanks
    threepenny bit
    Snow has finally stopped and is just wet slush right now; the mountains got beautiful skiing snow but down in the valley it is just cold and slushy!
    I am failing miserably at doing my SW diet - am good all day and the sabotage everything I have paid for 6 months online so I need to make it worth while else that is more money I have thrown away.
    • Purplebonnie
    • By Purplebonnie 3rd Oct 17, 6:33 AM
    • 89 Posts
    • 577 Thanks
    Purplebonnie
    I am exactly the same with SW, good all day and come the evening I turn into a raging eat-all monster! I have just got a copy of Brain Over Binge to read, let's see if that helps! Enjoy your day
    September 2017 Total Debt £37188.89 / DFD 01/05/22
    October 2017 Debt £36149.48 / DFD 01/04/22
    Extra Payments : 0.1% = £37.19 Total paid 0.3%
    MBNA - £5350.73

October Food Budget : £200/£114.94 Extra Income £100 /£81.06
    SFD : 8/31 Weight Loss (Goal 8lbs) :
    • threepenny bit
    • By threepenny bit 8th Oct 17, 8:09 PM
    • 210 Posts
    • 1,728 Thanks
    threepenny bit
    sorry for the lack of diary the past few days - I have been so tired after class that I just couldn't find my mojo to write lol!
    Today is a beautiful warm Autumn day for Thanksgiving weekend, just hubby and I home so we are having turkey and trimmings on our own. I have a colonoscopy scheduled for Wednesday and start to take the clean out meds Tuesday - not looking forward to it but it is a blessing that it is even possible to check for these things. I want to try get some of the household chores done today and tomorrow so I don't have too much to do the rest of the week; laundry and bathrooms this morning I think.
    Had to add medications and car related expenses to our visa this week so the total has gone up but there was no choice - I need to build up an emergency fund for these things but just can't seem to find the extra $ for it right now. Was thinking that if I sell things maybe I should put that into he emergency fund rather than paying the visa? What do other people do??

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend and the weather is kind
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,214Posts Today

6,823Users online

Martin's Twitter