Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • anonmum
    • By anonmum 9th Sep 17, 12:34 AM
    • 39Posts
    • 50Thanks
    anonmum
    Extra searches from solicitor?
    • 9th Sep 17, 12:34 AM
    Extra searches from solicitor? 9th Sep 17 at 12:34 AM
    hi, in process of trying to buy a house, mid terrace in midlands, solicitors obviously got to do a bunch of the usual searches - mining water etc etc but are also offering to do extra searches if I want them done (and willing to pay for them of course!).

The extra searches available are -Planning search (a more comprehensive search than the standard planning that they doing anyway), Flood search (house not near any water source so wud think unlikely), Environmental search and Energy and infrastructure search. The only one I have considered is the Energy/infrastructure because that looks at Fracking potential in the area.

The area is an ex-mining area so my biggest concern would be subsidence - but this would be covered in mining search anyway.

Can anyone offer any thoughts on extra searches?

Many thanks

anonmum
Page 1
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 9th Sep 17, 7:37 AM
    • 23,114 Posts
    • 88,455 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 9th Sep 17, 7:37 AM
    • 9th Sep 17, 7:37 AM
    Would fracking potential be much different, say, a mile away? I doubt if anyone knows this for sure.

Whether there is flooding potential isn't just down to proximity to water, as there is surface water flooding, and in town locations buildings can hide culverts and storm drains. My house is quite close to water, yet it won't flood unless the laws of physics change, but not many places are that straightforward.

You can get basic info from the Environment Agency's flood map yourself:

https://flood-map-for-planning.service.gov.uk/

Insurance companies hold much data themselves about specific locations, so if you get a quote for the property, it may highlight any previous issues.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,350Posts Today

6,121Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin