Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • LaurenHeath123
    • By LaurenHeath123 9th Sep 17, 12:10 AM
    • 108Posts
    • 27Thanks
    LaurenHeath123
    Our extension used to be a coal shed - how do I improve it?
    • 9th Sep 17, 12:10 AM
    Our extension used to be a coal shed - how do I improve it? 9th Sep 17 at 12:10 AM
    Hi all

We are trying to make the extension on the back of our 1930s semi habitable again. It was used as a kitchen for years and years (probably around 50-60 years ago when it was attached to the house) but I lifted the vinyl and it is just earth, only concrete closer to the old entrance of the house where the AGA sits.

The room is completely damp and in 2 years time it will be knocked down to make way for a single story extension that runs across the whole of the back of the house. For now, we are hoping to 'tart it up' and make do so we can use it as a utility room.

As is the case in most houses these days, the internal floor is below the external ground so that is causing an awful lot of damp, coupled with the fact that there doesn't even seem to be a floor. I'm not really sure how to tackle this. My initial thought was to put a french drain around the extension but when I discovered the lack of floor, I'm not really sure how to go about that.

Should I dig down, fit a DPM, put floor battens in and insulate? Not really sure how to go about this without knocking the whole extension down and starting again (but we can't afford that for another 2 years).

Thanks in advance - sorry for rambling!
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,960Posts Today

8,214Users online

Martin's Twitter