Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • simonlines
    • By simonlines 8th Sep 17, 11:17 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    simonlines
    Halifax Mortgage... First time buyer... Confused! HELP
    • 8th Sep 17, 11:17 PM
    Halifax Mortgage... First time buyer... Confused! HELP 8th Sep 17 at 11:17 PM
    Hi All, a fairly long tale so bare with me....

I found a property I wanted to purchase, a new 2 bed home through Morris Homes. The house is £149,750 and I intend to use the Help to Buy scheme. A bit of a background on me, I am a Community Nurse who earnt in the past year a basic salary of £24,550. I worked unsociable enhanced hours which came to around a further £1,200 and then overtime bank shifts which equated to around £1,100 after tax. As of Monday just gone I have got a promotion. I signed a new contract with my NHS trust to become a 'Student District Nurse' so basically the trust have seconded me, are funding me to go through this Course at University, are paying me £26,550 for the year so my basic wage has gone up and at the end of the course a job will be waiting for me at a higher salary again. So in the year ahead I will be continuing to do some bank overtime work.

Now in the NHS, overtime is there whenever you want it so you could earn as little or as much as you wanted each year. I have had a mortgage broker find the best mortgage for me, gone through everything with me. Halifax completed the valuation on Tuesday just gone and the mortgage broker was hopeful of an offer today. Now I have provided the Halifax with 12 months worth of pay slips (both normal salary and bank shifts), P60's from both my standard salary and overtime, 12 months worth of bank statements and my new contract only signed on Monday. They have signed everything off but the bank shift pay/enhanced hours. They are questioning this for some reason. The bank pay is fair enough I guess as its not guaranteed although if you know how the NHS is currently you would know it is guaranteed as much as you want. But the enhanced hours/unsociable hours is just what a Nurse does. I work 37.5 hours per week over 7 days, not Mon-Fri 9-5 or anything like that and I've tried to explain that. Nurses will almost always work some unsociable hours per month.

So after all that the Halifax have now requested my hospital trusts HR department to write them a letter on letter header paper detailing my contract, what type of contract and when it started. How much on average I earn per year etc etc etc! But I can't work out why, they have all this information in front of them in black and white from the information I have already provided. They were saying without the Bank pay and the unsociable hours pay I may be around 2-3k short on the affordability but looking on the Halifax website they accept NHS Enhanced hours and Nurse Bank pay as acceptable sources of income. So I am most baffled.

Any advice?
Page 1
    • BLOW FLY
    • By BLOW FLY 9th Sep 17, 1:36 AM
    • 102 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    BLOW FLY
    • 9th Sep 17, 1:36 AM
    • 9th Sep 17, 1:36 AM
    Sounds like the underwriters are seeking employer reference.

Halifax carried out similar with ourselves, hopefully you shouldn't have too much to worry about.

BF
    • Car1980
    • By Car1980 9th Sep 17, 5:31 AM
    • 151 Posts
    • 74 Thanks
    Car1980
    • 9th Sep 17, 5:31 AM
    • 9th Sep 17, 5:31 AM
    Welcome to the world of mortgage underwriters. Perfectly normal for them to ask inane questions or ignore what you've already sent them. You just have to roll with it.

Nationwide are the worst. They kicked off with me because a piece of paper said Apartment 58 instead of Flat 58 (or whatever it was)
    • surreysaver
    • By surreysaver 9th Sep 17, 7:50 AM
    • 2,247 Posts
    • 1,272 Thanks
    surreysaver
    • 9th Sep 17, 7:50 AM
    • 9th Sep 17, 7:50 AM
    I had the same with Abbey Nationa when doing a job with guaranteed overtime. And that was before the financial crisis in 2007 when they were dishing out mortgages like confetti. I suppose a point to remember is the overtime isn't guaranteed - a change in circumstances may mean you might not be available to work it.
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

228Posts Today

1,279Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin