Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • eLLeBee1986
    • By eLLeBee1986 8th Sep 17, 11:12 PM
    • 12Posts
    • 46Thanks
    eLLeBee1986
    Dedication ... and cake !!!
    • 8th Sep 17, 11:12 PM
    Dedication ... and cake !!! 8th Sep 17 at 11:12 PM
    Dedication and cake !!

I'm hoping these two ingredients will be enough to help me hit my goal of becoming debt free ... Dedication to keep going with every effort even when the surveys become tedious, the videos become mind numbing and the overtime becomes exhausting. Cake for ... well everything is better with cake.

After reading all of your inspiring diaries I have decided to give it a go to help me stay motivated and also to keep track of where I'm up to. I haven't yet gotten down to the nitty gritty of completing an SOA but I will.

Soooo the heartbreaking reality of my situation:

Barclaycard (mine) - 4150.08
    Barclaycard (hubby) - 7116.62
    Tesco Bank - 1669.84
    Halifax CC - 1342.15
    Very - 3213.74
    Capital One - 2499.75

Ouch ... that hurt.

My first target is capital one as this is the one Im currently paying interest on, the others are all on 0% balance transfers and very is BNPL.

What I currently have in place to help boost my income (in between the full time job and 6 children me and my husband have between us!!) is:

Overtime on a sunday when the rate jumps to nearly double time.
    Avon - already been doing this a fair few months but now the earnings will be dedicated to this
    Shoppix and receipt hog for uploading receipts
    Qmee, Swagbucks, Yougov, Pinecone, Onepulse, People.io & Vypr for surveys
    Lucky leftovers for earning points although seems to be a very slow earner unless I'm doing something wrong :s

I am finding the apps easiest to use as I can do it whilst out and about whilst playing taxi (the free version!) to the kids and their hobbies during the evening until I can settle with the laptop once all the other motherly duties are complete with a brew and .... oh go on then, more cake. My waist does not thank me but slimming world costs money after all so on to the back burner we go with that one until we're debt free. *excuses excuses*

I will also be checking all of our insurances/bills etc to try and cut back, meal planning to save on food and have joined the save £10 a day challenge.

My ultimate goal is to clear the debts so that I can then focus on the mortgage and fingers crossed there will be a happy ever after for our not so little family.

eLLe x
    Make up to £10 a day challenge: September £95.73/£300
Page 1
    • Scott_Weiland
    • By Scott_Weiland 9th Sep 17, 12:14 AM
    • 544 Posts
    • 1,119 Thanks
    Scott_Weiland
    • 9th Sep 17, 12:14 AM
    • 9th Sep 17, 12:14 AM
    Regarding surveys have a look at

Prolific Academic
    Opinium Research and Opinion Outpost.co.uk
    :-)

When your checking utilities and insurances etc have a look at going through top cashback.co.uk. extra funds to be had there
    Debts 16274.64
    Cashback Earnings YTD £161.92 Survey Earnings YTD £435.18
    • threepenny bit
    • By threepenny bit 9th Sep 17, 5:27 AM
    • 193 Posts
    • 1,660 Thanks
    threepenny bit
    • 9th Sep 17, 5:27 AM
    • 9th Sep 17, 5:27 AM
    Hi and good luck with your new diary! I have been on here for ages lurking but am now starting to knuckle down and try to pay off some debts before retirement!
    will subscribe and watch your diary xx
    Grocery challenge - $150 for Sept 81.65/150
    1st challenge to pay CC (JV1) 3250/$4250
    Work on selling items and make $100 a month for the rest of this year 36/100
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 9th Sep 17, 10:00 AM
    • 313 Posts
    • 1,363 Thanks
    redofromstart
    • 9th Sep 17, 10:00 AM
    • 9th Sep 17, 10:00 AM
    HI, and good luck with it.
    • eLLeBee1986
    • By eLLeBee1986 9th Sep 17, 10:32 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    eLLeBee1986
    • 9th Sep 17, 10:32 AM
    • 9th Sep 17, 10:32 AM
    Thank you all, it's nice to know we're not alone in our journeys no matter how never ending they may seem at times!

Regarding surveys have a look at

Prolific Academic
    Opinium Research and Opinion Outpost.co.uk
    :-)

When your checking utilities and insurances etc have a look at going through top cashback.co.uk. extra funds to be had there
    Thanks Scott, I have joined PA but no studies available yet - do you have much experience with it?
    I will have a look at the other two this morning and get signed up - let me know if you have any referral codes you would like me to use, every little helps

Hi and good luck with your new diary! I have been on here for ages lurking but am now starting to knuckle down and try to pay off some debts before retirement!
    will subscribe and watch your diary xx
    Thank you for subscribing, I'll have a look for yours and do the same! Which methods are you finding the best for you at the moment?

HI, and good luck with it.
    Thanks for reading

eLLe x
    Make up to £10 a day challenge: September £95.73/£300
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 9th Sep 17, 1:28 PM
    • 375 Posts
    • 1,106 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    • 9th Sep 17, 1:28 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 1:28 PM
    Well done on fitting in so much between children and a full time job! I have a large family too but the combination of job and home is a lot, so very impressed with you dong Avon and overtime.

I agree with the cake philosophy!
    paydbx #90 £325/£10,000.
    365 day penny challenge £37.66/£667.95
    Loan £17k - paid off in Aug 2017. Home improvement loans £3342 March 2017
    • Scott_Weiland
    • By Scott_Weiland 9th Sep 17, 3:52 PM
    • 544 Posts
    • 1,119 Thanks
    Scott_Weiland
    • 9th Sep 17, 3:52 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 3:52 PM
    [QUOTE=eLLeBee1986;73100891]Thank you all, it's nice to know we're not alone in our journeys no matter how never ending they may seem at times!

Thanks Scott, I have joined PA but no studies available yet - do you have much experience with it?
    I will have a look at the other two this morning and get signed up - let me know if you have any referral codes you would like me to use, every little helps

Thank you for subscribing, I'll have a look for yours and do the same! Which methods are you finding the best for you at the moment?

I don't have any referral codes sadly but all the sites are good. Its not loads but i get maybe 2-3 payouts from opinium research per year the surveys are dead straight forward and at max take 4-5 mins each.

Regarding prolific academic it is a very good site, before the school holidays i was making 15-20 quid per week from it. The site is very quiet as basically your doing research for students or lecturers at uni who are doing research for projects, dissertations etc stick with it. I have spoke with a few other survey gurus and it does start slowly picking up around now.
    Debts 16274.64
    Cashback Earnings YTD £161.92 Survey Earnings YTD £435.18
    • threepenny bit
    • By threepenny bit 9th Sep 17, 5:05 PM
    • 193 Posts
    • 1,660 Thanks
    threepenny bit
    • 9th Sep 17, 5:05 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 5:05 PM
    HI Ellebee1986 This is my plan for the start of my journey!
    I am going to take a stock of what we have int he freezer and cupboards and then meal plan so that I am not popping into the shops to get a couple of things and coming out with a boot full of groceries lol!
    I have the YNAB free trial right now and trying to get my head round that so that I know how much I can spend and how much I can send to my cc
    I have swagbucks to do surveys and will have a look at some others
    I am trying to use cash and no credit
    selling odds and ends on fb local sites
    Grocery challenge - $150 for Sept 81.65/150
    1st challenge to pay CC (JV1) 3250/$4250
    Work on selling items and make $100 a month for the rest of this year 36/100
    • Tea&Kittens
    • By Tea&Kittens 11th Sep 17, 8:03 AM
    • 43 Posts
    • 95 Thanks
    Tea&Kittens
    • 11th Sep 17, 8:03 AM
    • 11th Sep 17, 8:03 AM
    Hi,
    I've just joined here too. Just wanted to say good luck with everything
    I started my debtfree journey on 07 September 2017:
    Barclaycard: 14382
    HSBC Credit Card : 2932
    MBNA : 2400
    Overdraft: 350
    A journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step. I'm on my way!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,337Posts Today

7,310Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin