Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 8th Sep 17, 10:59 PM
    • 2,545Posts
    • 405Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    Speeding offences & insurance policies
    • 8th Sep 17, 10:59 PM
    Speeding offences & insurance policies 8th Sep 17 at 10:59 PM
    I recently got caught 42 in a 30. First offence for speeding. I returned the paperwork this week so i imagine i'll hear from them next week at the earliest, maybe the week after depending how long it takes to process.

Now someone at work (yeah that classic - where we find all the experts ) who got caught doing 41 in a 30 said that 41 is the cut off point for a speed awareness course. You'll get the option at 41 but not 42.

Correct or not?

They went on to say that i certainly wont get the option of a speed awareness course as when they got the initial paperwork through the post, it stated what the punishment would be (points, fines) & gave the option of a course.

I don't know if this is area specific but when i got mine there was no mention of this. I just had to fill out my name and give in my driver licence number.

I believe i am looking at, with the change in punishment this year, '4 to 6' points.
    So as i don't yet know what's happening, do i phone my car insurance company to tell them i just got given points? If so i assume i wait on the points being given rather than now to say i got caught speeding.
    Or do you just do it at renewal?

Page 1
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 8th Sep 17, 11:03 PM
    • 33,227 Posts
    • 17,175 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 8th Sep 17, 11:03 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 11:03 PM
    Check your policy wording to see when your insurer requires informing about convictions/points/speed awareness courses

Different insurers have different policies on this

42 is generally the cut off point
    • George Michael
    • By George Michael 8th Sep 17, 11:54 PM
    • 2,878 Posts
    • 3,896 Thanks
    George Michael
    • 8th Sep 17, 11:54 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 11:54 PM
    I recently got caught 42 in a 30. First offence for speeding. I returned the paperwork this week so i imagine i'll hear from them next week at the earliest, maybe the week after depending how long it takes to process.
    Originally posted by JustAnotherSaver
    Provided that your speed was recorded at 42 then this is just in the band for a possible course being offered.
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 9th Sep 17, 1:13 AM
    • 1,433 Posts
    • 956 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    • 9th Sep 17, 1:13 AM
    • 9th Sep 17, 1:13 AM

Now someone at work (yeah that classic - where we find all the experts ) who got caught doing 41 in a 30 said that 41 is the cut off point for a speed awareness course. You'll get the option at 41 but not 42.

Correct or not?

They went on to say that i certainly wont get the option of a speed awareness course as when they got the initial paperwork through the post, it stated what the punishment would be (points, fines) & gave the option of a course.

I don't know if this is area specific but when i got mine there was no mention of this. I just had to fill out my name and give in my driver licence number.

I believe i am looking at, with the change in punishment this year, '4 to 6' points.
    So as i don't yet know what's happening, do i phone my car insurance company to tell them i just got given points? If so i assume i wait on the points being given rather than now to say i got caught speeding.
    Or do you just do it at renewal?
    Even if a course weren't offered, you'd still be eligible for 3 points and £100 fixed penalty up to and including 49mph.

As Quentin says, when you tell your insurance company depends on what your policy documentation says.
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 9th Sep 17, 10:55 AM
    • 2,545 Posts
    • 405 Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    • 9th Sep 17, 10:55 AM
    • 9th Sep 17, 10:55 AM
    I'll have to check when I finish work

I'm with admiral. Does it say in your online documents? I don't remember there being a whole lot of small print in them

• Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 9th Sep 17, 11:00 AM
    • 1,433 Posts
    • 956 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    • 9th Sep 17, 11:00 AM
    • 9th Sep 17, 11:00 AM

I'm with admiral. Does it say in your online documents? I don't remember there being a whole lot of small print in them
    Admiral group usually require notification of Speed Awareness Courses, but I don't know when they require notification. That would be somewhere in your documentation.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 9th Sep 17, 12:01 PM
    • 33,227 Posts
    • 17,175 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 9th Sep 17, 12:01 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 12:01 PM

There's always loads of small print in a car insurance policy!

You need to tell admiral about convictions/points/speed awareness courses etc at renewal
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 15th Sep 17, 8:05 PM
    • 2,545 Posts
    • 405 Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    • 15th Sep 17, 8:05 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 8:05 PM
    Well i got it through today & i've been offered the course, thankfully.

I was expecting 4-6 points & 100% of weekly wage to be mentioned somewhere but it's not. If i don't take the course at £80 then the punishment is 3 points & £100.

So if i go on the course then what do i do regards my insurance? At renewal i obviously wouldn't say i have points because i'd have been on the course. So what would i put down when it comes to the section of have you committed any motoring offences?

• Quentin
    • By Quentin 15th Sep 17, 9:56 PM
    • 33,227 Posts
    • 17,175 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 15th Sep 17, 9:56 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 9:56 PM
    You normally don't get asked that - you normally get asked about convictions

Consider not renewing

At present there are plenty of insurers not in the Admiral Group who don't enquire about courses.

Shop around and see if you would be better off going to a new insurer who doesn't ask

Do dummy quotes to see what difference it makes with admiral if you have a course to disclose in your history.

Then decide whether to go elsewhere
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 16th Sep 17, 11:04 AM
    • 2,545 Posts
    • 405 Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    So if the question asks about convictions (such as speeding & the points for that) then I would answer no then (based on going on this course instead of taking the points)?

Unless of course somewhere in the questioning they also said - have you taken a course to bail yourself out of points.

• Strider590
    • By Strider590 16th Sep 17, 11:10 AM
    • 11,622 Posts
    • 6,528 Thanks
    Strider590
    One speeding conviction won't really do much to harm your premiums, they're given out far too liberally as camera partnerships are run as business and it's all about money, there are probably more people with points on their licence than without.

If your caught and stopped by the actual Police, then things get expensive.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
    • Johno100
    • By Johno100 16th Sep 17, 11:21 AM
    • 3,151 Posts
    • 3,413 Thanks
    Johno100
    One speeding conviction won't really do much to harm your premiums, they're given out far too liberally as camera partnerships are run as business and it's all about money, there are probably more people with points on their licence than without.

Originally posted by Strider590
    Is that on the basis that the police will usually only go after the 'gross' speeders, not your 35 or 40 in a 30?
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 16th Sep 17, 11:31 AM
    • 2,389 Posts
    • 1,553 Thanks
    Car 54

Hardly. According to the DVLA, as of June 2017, there were 39,975,351 licence holders, of whom 2,742,895 had points - 6.86%. Looking at it the other way, the vast majority (93%) of drivers have clean licences.

Why would things get more expensive if caught by the "actual" police?
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 16th Sep 17, 11:41 AM
    • 563 Posts
    • 295 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    Hardly. According to the DVLA, as of June 2017, there were 39,975,351 licence holders, of whom 2,742,895 had points - 6.86%. Looking at it the other way, the vast majority (93%) of drivers have clean licences.

Originally posted by Car 54
    Well it wouldn't, same court, same conviction same result. Makes no difference whether a cop or a civvy pulls the trigger.
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 16th Sep 17, 11:49 AM
    • 11,622 Posts
    • 6,528 Thanks
    Strider590

Originally posted by Car 54
    Well it wouldn't, same court, same conviction same result. Makes no difference whether a cop or a civvy pulls the trigger.
    Originally posted by Warwick Hunt

Nothing the insurance companies do appears to make sense and yet you question this?

Is that on the basis that the police will usually only go after the 'gross' speeders, not your 35 or 40 in a 30?
    Originally posted by Johno100
    The BiB go after gross speeding and dangerous/reckless driving, unless they're really bored. They look at who is driving, what they're driving and how they are driving.

The manned camera vans are indiscriminate, they'll happily catch 90yr old Doris coming back from Tescos in her WagonR.
    Last edited by Strider590; 16-09-2017 at 11:58 AM.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
    • arcon5
    • By arcon5 16th Sep 17, 11:50 AM
    • 13,105 Posts
    • 8,307 Thanks
    arcon5
    If you do the course then do it and forget about it.
    Don't tell any insurer.

There's no way they can find out. Them asking in the first place is a !!!! take.
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 16th Sep 17, 12:06 PM
    • 563 Posts
    • 295 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    Nothing the insurance companies do appears to make sense and yet you question this?
    No, it was your idiotic comment. How do the insurance companies know whether a conviction for speeding is from the police or camera safety partnership?
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 16th Sep 17, 12:34 PM
    • 10,227 Posts
    • 7,152 Thanks
    neilmcl

You really do post nonsense, one would have thought you'd learnt your lesson by now. The vast majority of drivers in the UK have a clean license, that's a plain fact, and please explain why being caught by the police rather than a speed partnership makes any difference. An SP30 is an SP30, the fine's the same, the hike (or not) in insurance is the same. Please stop posting drivel!
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 16th Sep 17, 1:12 PM
    • 2,389 Posts
    • 1,553 Thanks
    Car 54
    If you do the course then do it and forget about it.
    Don't tell any insurer.

There's no way they can find out. Them asking in the first place is a !!!! take.
    Originally posted by arcon5
    There's no way they can find out - at the moment. There's no guarantee that will remain the case.

Why is it a !!!! take? They obviously think it's relevant. On the face of it, they're right. The driver has committed the same offence as someone given points, and there is no evidence that the courses have any effect.
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 16th Sep 17, 1:24 PM
    • 11,622 Posts
    • 6,528 Thanks
    Strider590
    You really do post nonsense, one would have thought you'd learnt your lesson by now. The vast majority of drivers in the UK have a clean license, that's a plain fact, and please explain why being caught by the police rather than a speed partnership makes any difference. An SP30 is an SP30, the fine's the same, the hike (or not) in insurance is the same. Please stop posting drivel!
    Originally posted by neilmcl

Those offences are devalued by the fact they get handed out indiscriminately, even to those who are otherwise responsible drivers OR (as mentioned) 90yr old Doris in her WagonR.
    The Police actual aren't going to chase down a 90yr old for doing 35 in 30 limit.
    In fact Doris could probably whiz past them every day at 40 and all they'd do is run the plates, that is until there is something wrong with the car or she upgrades to a Focus RS with blacked out windows.

If you these offences to mean anything, then you'd have to to leave speed enforcement to traffic officers, and we know the Police don't the have resources or funding to do that.

A Police traffic officer saying "yeah this guy is a dangerous driver", means a hell of a lot more than some sad little man in van pointing a glorified laser pointer at passing motorists.

If that doesn't make sense then I can't really help you.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,056Posts Today

6,988Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin