Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • TheEnergyThread
    • By TheEnergyThread 8th Sep 17, 10:56 PM
    • 20Posts
    • 8Thanks
    TheEnergyThread
    Question about insurance
    • 8th Sep 17, 10:56 PM
    Question about insurance 8th Sep 17 at 10:56 PM
    I am currently deciding what to do, I have a car that’s MOT runs out in January & my insurance runs out in February. Now I want to know if I can continue to pay insurance for that month but not drive the car due to no MOT until my insurance runs out then sell the car without MOT. Could I do this or would my insurance go VOID the moment I have no MOT?
Page 4
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 9th Sep 17, 5:06 PM
    • 245 Posts
    • 119 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    No but I have a recordering tracker device that I have in the vehicle, which I can use as evidence if I do get a fine to show that I have not driven the vehicle after all it seems useless to me to have an MOT if you are just using the car for storage for example.
    Originally posted by TheEnergyThread
    Can't you find a car park or any other public place that isn't a road to park it legally?
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 9th Sep 17, 5:08 PM
    • 4,608 Posts
    • 3,611 Thanks
    glentoran99
    So anytime my mot expires (every year) and im waiting on a date, they can fine me? they should be making a fortune...

Tell me, when ive to wait 3 weeks for an MOT date you are telling me I can be fined? how often?
    • TheEnergyThread
    • By TheEnergyThread 9th Sep 17, 5:09 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    TheEnergyThread
    No I have a private parking space that is allocated to myself off the road. So regarding the road aspect I am not worried the original question was would my insurance be VOID or policy cancelled if my MOT runs out even if I still have tax.
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 9th Sep 17, 5:11 PM
    • 245 Posts
    • 119 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    So anytime my mot expires (every year) and im waiting on a date, they can fine me? they should be making a fortune...

Tell me, when ive to wait 3 weeks for an MOT date you are telling me I can be fined? how often?
    Originally posted by glentoran99
    You either need to sort your admin or find another garage.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 9th Sep 17, 5:12 PM
    • 32,810 Posts
    • 16,840 Thanks
    Quentin
    No I have a private parking space that is allocated to myself off the road. So regarding the road aspect I am not worried the original question was would my insurance be VOID or policy cancelled if my MOT runs out even if I still have tax.
    Originally posted by TheEnergyThread
    You must have missed #2!!
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 9th Sep 17, 5:12 PM
    • 4,608 Posts
    • 3,611 Thanks
    glentoran99
    You either need to sort your admin or find another garage.
    Originally posted by Warwick Hunt

Its not an option here, and their are sometimes months wait for a date
    • TheEnergyThread
    • By TheEnergyThread 9th Sep 17, 5:16 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    TheEnergyThread
    You must have missed #2!!
    Originally posted by Quentin
    I would prefer to keep in on the street but if not worst case scenario I can place it on private land.
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 9th Sep 17, 5:25 PM
    • 245 Posts
    • 119 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    Its not an option here, and their are sometimes months wait for a date
    But you know 12 sometimes 13 months in advance when it will expire so why leave it until the last minute?
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 9th Sep 17, 5:27 PM
    • 4,608 Posts
    • 3,611 Thanks
    glentoran99
    But you know 12 sometimes 13 months in advance when it will expire so why leave it until the last minute?
    Originally posted by Warwick Hunt

because you cant book that far in advance
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 9th Sep 17, 5:38 PM
    • 1,377 Posts
    • 918 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    because you cant book that far in advance
    Strictly, that's not true. You can (in GB in any case) have your MOT done at any point and as many times as you like, but you are limited on dates if you want to keep a certain date as your anniversary date for the purposes of getting your car tested.
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 9th Sep 17, 5:52 PM
    • 3,348 Posts
    • 7,384 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99

You can preserve the date by having an MOT up to 30 days before. So ring up for a test date 30+(some number) days in advance.

If you can't get a test date before the old test expires, keep it off road until you can get it tested. Not too difficult.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • Aretnap
    • By Aretnap 9th Sep 17, 7:14 PM
    • 2,725 Posts
    • 2,165 Thanks
    Aretnap
    You can't be fined simply for letting your MOT expire - there is no equivalent of continuous insurance enforcement for MOTs. To charge you the police would also have to prove that it was used or stored on a public road rather than your driveway or a private car park. And they have better things to do than go around checking the MOT status of parked cars, so your chances of actually being fined would be slim. But if you drew attention to the car, or you were reported by a nosy neighbour then it's possible that you could be fined, unless you keep it off-road, yes. (In England at least - things may be different in NI)
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 11th Sep 17, 6:16 PM
    • 4,608 Posts
    • 3,611 Thanks
    glentoran99
    You can't be fined simply for letting your MOT expire - there is no equivalent of continuous insurance enforcement for MOTs. To charge you the police would also have to prove that it was used or stored on a public road rather than your driveway or a private car park. And they have better things to do than go around checking the MOT status of parked cars, so your chances of actually being fined would be slim. But if you drew attention to the car, or you were reported by a nosy neighbour then it's possible that you could be fined, unless you keep it off-road, yes. (In England at least - things may be different in NI)
    Originally posted by Aretnap

I think the rules are the same pretty much (other than the length of time before first MOT and where it has to be done)

Interesting that there is legal precedent against what the authorities told me and not a new case either
    • TheEnergyThread
    • By TheEnergyThread 11th Sep 17, 10:29 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    TheEnergyThread
    Just to confirm, I have been in contact with my insurance company that I hold the policy with they have advised me the policy will continue without MOT as long as the vehicle is SORNED and kept off road, the policy would continue & will continue to occur NCB unless I claim ofcourse. I have also received verification via email address. Just thought it give everybody a heads up.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,774Posts Today

7,549Users online

Martin's Twitter