Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 8th Sep 17, 7:43 PM
    • 1,171Posts
    • 1,204Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    Tackling old debt
    • 8th Sep 17, 7:43 PM
    Tackling old debt 8th Sep 17 at 7:43 PM
    I've got 3 old debts that I pay via payplan and I'm not sure how to get rid of them quicker. Currently the arrangement will still be going after I die, its so long!
    I thought of an IVA but that's going to impact my husband which I don't want as the debt was mine before I met him. I could increase payments but it would still drag....
    The only thing I thought is to save up then offer a lump sum to the smallest then repeat twice more?
    Any suggestions please?
Page 1
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 8th Sep 17, 9:53 PM
    • 11,934 Posts
    • 11,418 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 8th Sep 17, 9:53 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 9:53 PM
    Hi,

No magic solutions I'm afraid.

There are only the debt solutions laid down by parliament available to you, they are :

Bankruptcy

IVA

DRO

DMP (unregulated).

How old are the debts ?

You could try CCA requests, see if they can produce compliant paperwork, making settlement offers as and when your able is another good option.
    Last edited by sourcrates; 08-09-2017 at 11:43 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • Newstart3
    • By Newstart3 9th Sep 17, 1:21 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Newstart3
    • 9th Sep 17, 1:21 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 1:21 PM
    I managed to agree full & final settlements on almost all of my accounts for around 60% of the total remaining balance. I made small monthly payments of around £20 to each of them to stop them from taking me to court and used my remaining available income to save up lump sums. I've gone from 11 creditors to 5 using this method.

Good luck x
    TSB £3,303, MBMA £4,315, Barclays £4,463, Argos £1,260, Mortimer Clarke CCJ £2,174, Lloyds CC £1534, Littlewoods £796, Next £510, Wonga £123, , Lending Stream 1 £130.87, Bensons for beds £1509, Lending Stream 2 £255.96, Lloyds CC £1,534, Total Jan £21,908, Feb £20,412 Sept £15,515 Debt repaid in 2017 = £6,393 TARGET DFD APRIL 2018
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 9th Sep 17, 4:36 PM
    • 1,171 Posts
    • 1,204 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    • 9th Sep 17, 4:36 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 4:36 PM
    Thanks. Newstart3 that's interesting thanks. I try not to think about the debt too much, its 15 years old so long off my credit file, but it does bother me hanging there in the background.
    I'm not eligible for bankruptcy or a debt relief order and an IVA would impact my husband ( because my spare income would be taken, thus reducing our joint available money).
    Settling at 60% might be doable if I put my mind to it though.
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 9th Sep 17, 5:59 PM
    • 11,934 Posts
    • 11,418 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 9th Sep 17, 5:59 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 5:59 PM
    its 15 years old so long off my credit file.
    Originally posted by Fireflyaway
    All the more reason to CCA each relevant account first then.
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

• Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 10th Sep 17, 10:37 AM
    • 1,171 Posts
    • 1,204 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    • 10th Sep 17, 10:37 AM
    • 10th Sep 17, 10:37 AM
    All the more reason to CCA each relevant account first then.
    Originally posted by sourcrates
    Yes I will try this. The debts have been passed through probably 3 or 4 different agencies since I first had them. Will try and see what happens.

I am a bit nervous that the creditors might try and escalate matters. Maybe I will wait until we have bought a house? Even if the CCA doesn't appear could they not try other tactics because I have admitted the debt is there because I've been paying it.
    Last edited by Fireflyaway; 10-09-2017 at 10:46 AM. Reason: T
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 10th Sep 17, 11:16 AM
    • 11,934 Posts
    • 11,418 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 10th Sep 17, 11:16 AM
    • 10th Sep 17, 11:16 AM
    Yes I will try this. The debts have been passed through probably 3 or 4 different agencies since I first had them. Will try and see what happens.

I am a bit nervous that the creditors might try and escalate matters. Maybe I will wait until we have bought a house? Even if the CCA doesn't appear could they not try other tactics because I have admitted the debt is there because I've been paying it.
    Originally posted by Fireflyaway
    Its your right under the consumer credit act to make a request for information.

You will not be treated any differently for doing so, admitting the debt has nothing to do with a CCA request, they are separate issues.

If a creditor cant comply, then the debt becomes unenforceable, this removes there rights to an legal remedy, so they can ask you to pay, but cant force the issue through the courts.

Its likely the creditor will be able to comply by sending a reconstituted copy of the agreement, but then again they may not, you wont know till you ask.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,727Posts Today

6,297Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin