Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jessie2017
    • By jessie2017 8th Sep 17, 7:38 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    jessie2017
    Release fee from storage
    • 8th Sep 17, 7:38 PM
    Release fee from storage 8th Sep 17 at 7:38 PM
    hello.
    two weeks my Honda scooter was stolen. two fays later the police found it and took it to a storage facility for forensic examination. To get it out and off to the Honda garage i had to pay a release fee. The bike requires repairs that are over my excess so I'll be proceeding a claim. Can i get this release fee added to the claim? (I'm hoping yes as it is an expense occurred by third party theft)
Page 1
    • angrycrow
    • By angrycrow 8th Sep 17, 9:02 PM
    • 358 Posts
    • 276 Thanks
    angrycrow
    • 8th Sep 17, 9:02 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 9:02 PM
    Yes the release fee should be reimbursed by your insurer. Send them the receipt.
    • konark
    • By konark 9th Sep 17, 2:27 AM
    • 867 Posts
    • 670 Thanks
    konark
    • 9th Sep 17, 2:27 AM
    • 9th Sep 17, 2:27 AM
    Bleedin' cheek charging a fee to get your own property back in my opinion.
    • angrycrow
    • By angrycrow 9th Sep 17, 6:41 AM
    • 358 Posts
    • 276 Thanks
    angrycrow
    • 9th Sep 17, 6:41 AM
    • 9th Sep 17, 6:41 AM
    Bleedin' cheek charging a fee to get your own property back in my opinion.
    Originally posted by konark
    It will always feel harsh when you have had a vehicle stolen and then have to pay to get it back. The problem is the police have a duty to secure the vehicle and then need to carry out forensics to try and catch the culprits to prevent further thefts. The police do not have their own recovery and storage facilities they sub contract the Job.

The recovery firm need paying and I would rather see the limited police resources spent on preventing crime than picking up vehicles.
    • Johno100
    • By Johno100 9th Sep 17, 8:34 AM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 3,179 Thanks
    Johno100
    • 9th Sep 17, 8:34 AM
    • 9th Sep 17, 8:34 AM
    I think it is reasonable to charge a one off recovery fee if the vehicle is found damaged.

It is when daily charges are added due to the tardiness of forensics in processing the vehicle or the vehicle is stolen with the keys, found undamaged and only recovered for forensic purposes that I have a problem. The motorist/insurers shouldn't have to stump up for that,
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

578Posts Today

6,303Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's Twitter poll: Do you agree with @TfL's decision not to reissue Uber's licence on grounds including falling to report serous crimes.

• RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Follow Martin