Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cook0891
    • By cook0891 8th Sep 17, 6:34 PM
    • 93Posts
    • 33Thanks
    cook0891
    Governor work whilst being off sick
    • 8th Sep 17, 6:34 PM
    Governor work whilst being off sick 8th Sep 17 at 6:34 PM
    Hi,

I have been signed off from work for two weeks with depression/anxiety. During this time I am due to attend school governor meetings in my role as a parent governor. I didn't think this would be an issue but a family member questioned if I should go as I am not well enough to go work but ok to go school meetings. I must stress the main reason I am off is linked to work so I want to keep busy and take my mind off it and not go mad by sitting at home on my own.

Has anyone else had experience like this, would you recommend going or not? Could work contact the school to see if I have gone?

Thanks in advance.
Page 2
    • Gavin83
    • By Gavin83 9th Sep 17, 11:18 PM
    • 4,554 Posts
    • 7,191 Thanks
    Gavin83
    Getting out and about, taking part in things, meeting people, boosting your confidence etc are all things you should be doing when you're signed off with depression and/or anxiety.
    Originally posted by shortcrust
    Enjoying hobbies, meeting up with friends, going to the gym etc are all things I'd expect people signed off with stress to be doing. Doing what is effectively another job isn't.

If you were my member of staff I'd be looking on how I could manage you out. I'd be sitting there thinking "if your well enough to do this other job why aren't you well enough to be working for me" and would ultimately assume you were taking the pee. I'd imagine a number of employers would feel the same.

It's more hassle than it's worth, just don't go. Unless of course you have no intention of returning to your employer but then again you'd have already resigned if this was the case.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,953Posts Today

6,287Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin