Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SarahDFW
    • By SarahDFW 8th Sep 17, 6:21 PM
    • 11Posts
    • 1Thanks
    SarahDFW
    What's CIAS? British gas Old debt help
    • 8th Sep 17, 6:21 PM
    What's CIAS? British gas Old debt help 8th Sep 17 at 6:21 PM
    Today I discovered I couldn't open a basic current account due to my credit rating being poor. I couldn't understand why so checked Experian and found British Gas have put me down as missing payments and owing them money for the last 3 years. Since after I notified them I had moved out of my old house.

After talking to them on the phone today the operate helped look back into and can see a few issues I had with them years back. When I notified them that I had moved out they didn't say I owed anything and hey didn't ask for new contact details or anything. It says on my Experian that I changed address without notifying them of my new one and left behind debt.

The operator said she'd open an investigation into it which should hopefully get to the bottom of it and could get it taken of my credit score. She said it was a CIAS or something?? I don't know if I trust them? I'm confused to what she was talking about. Can someone give me advice?
Page 1
    • macman
    • By macman 8th Sep 17, 7:01 PM
    • 41,290 Posts
    • 16,954 Thanks
    macman
    • 8th Sep 17, 7:01 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 7:01 PM
    You appear to have a CIFAS marker on your account, which means that fraud is suspected. This is bad news and means you have no chance of getting mainstream credit anywhere. So your first priority is to get a copy of your credit report and investigate.
    When you move out, it is normal to give final readings, and you then get a final bill within 6 weeks-which, unless online, requires a forwarding address.
    Last edited by macman; 08-09-2017 at 7:04 PM.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • SarahDFW
    • By SarahDFW 8th Sep 17, 8:14 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    SarahDFW
    • 8th Sep 17, 8:14 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 8:14 PM
    You appear to have a CIFAS marker on your account, which means that fraud is suspected. This is bad news and means you have no chance of getting mainstream credit anywhere. So your first priority is to get a copy of your credit report and investigate.
    When you move out, it is normal to give final readings, and you then get a final bill within 6 weeks-which, unless online, requires a forwarding address.
    Originally posted by macman
    Thanks macman, on my equifax is doesn't say I have a CIFAS. I moved out and my ex husband remained in the property until it was sold last year. However, they did tell me it was changed to his names and all payments were made by him after that. When I notified them that I no longer lived there they never asked for a forwarding address or anything. They assured me I owed nothing.

I moved out April 2014
    We continued to pay gas direct debit from joint account
    Notified them I had moved in Nov 2014 and changed name to ex husbands
    First 'missed payment' appeared on Credit report Feb 2015
    Red Missed payment defaults every month since then on credit report

I don't know what 'CIAS investigation' she was talking about today...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,739Posts Today

8,746Users online

Martin's Twitter