Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Lollipops1990
    • By Lollipops1990 8th Sep 17, 6:17 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Lollipops1990
    Car insurance on a new car for my partner?
    • 8th Sep 17, 6:17 PM
    Car insurance on a new car for my partner? 8th Sep 17 at 6:17 PM
    I'm taking out a finance agreement for my partner as his credit profile is not good enough for him to take out in his name.

I won't be driving the car ever, my partner will use it solely. However the car will be in my name and belong to me.

I need to be insured on the car on the day we pick it up as for obvious reasons as the owner of the car we won't be allowed to take it away unless I am insured on it.

My insurance is much higher than my partners as I only passed my test three years ago and he's been driving since he was 17.

As the owner of the car, do I need to stay on the insurance policy or can I remove myself after a day?
Page 1
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 8th Sep 17, 7:01 PM
    • 4,596 Posts
    • 4,010 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    • 8th Sep 17, 7:01 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 7:01 PM
    The dealer won't check who is insured when you pick up the car anyway. At least, none have ever checked any time I've bought both new or used.

However, depending on the type of finance you are taking out, there may be terms in the small print about insurance - make sure you check them.

Oh, and final thought - this is a really, really bad idea. We've seen loads of 'my partner/wife/husband left and took the car I'm paying for with them' threads...
    • wongataa
    • By wongataa 9th Sep 17, 8:38 AM
    • 1,103 Posts
    • 598 Thanks
    wongataa
    • 9th Sep 17, 8:38 AM
    • 9th Sep 17, 8:38 AM
    The dealer won't check who is insured when you pick up the car anyway. At least, none have ever checked any time I've bought both new or used.
    Originally posted by BeenThroughItAll
    The last time I bought a car (second hand from a dealer) They checked to make sure I was insured before giving me the keys. If I wasn't insured they would not have let me take the car.
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 9th Sep 17, 8:43 AM
    • 4,596 Posts
    • 4,010 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    • 9th Sep 17, 8:43 AM
    • 9th Sep 17, 8:43 AM
    The last time I bought a car (second hand from a dealer) They checked to make sure I was insured before giving me the keys. If I wasn't insured they would not have let me take the car.
    Originally posted by wongataa
    Well that's conscientious of them. Never once checked and I must have bought at least 40 new and used cars, motorbikes, vans and motorhomes over the years from dealers.
    • Money maker
    • By Money maker 9th Sep 17, 8:44 AM
    • 4,851 Posts
    • 11,083 Thanks
    Money maker
    • 9th Sep 17, 8:44 AM
    • 9th Sep 17, 8:44 AM
    If no one else will give him finance, why would you put yourself and your finances on the line for him? Check out the loans board for those who absolutely trusted a partner to repay but are left holding the debt. If you're adamant, take steps to protect yourself for when this happens.
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed.

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite!
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 9th Sep 17, 9:09 AM
    • 26,052 Posts
    • 10,386 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 9th Sep 17, 9:09 AM
    • 9th Sep 17, 9:09 AM
    If the finance is in your name you may need to be the person insuring it.

He will need to declare the care is not owned or registered to him which means the comparison sites possibly wont work for you.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • missile
    • By missile 9th Sep 17, 12:04 PM
    • 8,993 Posts
    • 4,372 Thanks
    missile
    • 9th Sep 17, 12:04 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 12:04 PM
    I need to be insured on the car on the day we pick it up as for obvious reasons as the owner of the car we won't be allowed to take it away unless I am insured on it.
    Cars are often purchased for another person e.g. a parent for their offspring.
    I have never been asked to show insurance. Even if you are asked, then provided the driver is insured that would be sufficient.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

410Posts Today

3,393Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin