Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JohnB47
    • By JohnB47 8th Sep 17, 4:45 PM
    • 901Posts
    • 284Thanks
    JohnB47
    Bloomin' Brother Ink saga.
    • 8th Sep 17, 4:45 PM
    Bloomin' Brother Ink saga. 8th Sep 17 at 4:45 PM
    I changed the various ink carts on my Brother printer about a month ago. I bought high capacity Think compatible ones from Choice Stationery Supplies. Since then, no problems, although we use the printer fairly rarely (perhaps 10 - 12 sheets in that time).

Today it wouldn't print blue text and when I ran a test print it clearly showed a problem with cyan ink. So I ran a series of cleaning cycles. Sometimes these seemed better, then worse. At the start of this process, all inks were showing almost full.

Eventually I removed the cyan cart and noticed that although it clearly had ink in it, there wasn't any in the 'output' spout bit. When I pushed a cocktail stick in there, air actually rushed in, so I checked for the little hole that should let air in. I had pulled the tape off OK but it had left a film of clear tape still there, so it was blocked. Success, I thought. Not so. The next test print showed almost perfect but one after that was worse. Not only that but now the magenta and yellow inks were almost done!

When I removed them, sure enough they were nearly empty. So now I have almost no magenta and yellow ink and a cyan cart that appears to be a quarter full but won't print properly. What a mess.

Could I really have used up all of the inks doing 6 or 8 test cycles including test prints? Surely not.

Seems like I now need to order more carts but who from now? Any point in complaining to Choice Stationery Supplies?

Any advice welcome.
Page 1
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 8th Sep 17, 6:01 PM
    • 3,516 Posts
    • 7,722 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    • 8th Sep 17, 6:01 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 6:01 PM
    This is the DIY forum, not the technial forum, the replies you get may reflect that.

I can tell you from experience that cleaning cycles use a LOT of ink and will burn through cartridges very quickly.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • dj1471
    • By dj1471 8th Sep 17, 6:02 PM
    • 901 Posts
    • 598 Thanks
    dj1471
    • 8th Sep 17, 6:02 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 6:02 PM
    Such is the joy of inkjet ownership.

I invested in a colour laser for precisely this reason (the majority of my ink was wasted in cleaning cycles rather than used for printing) and have never looked back.

I used to use 365ink, their compatible cartridges were as good as any other.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 8th Sep 17, 7:00 PM
    • 11,174 Posts
    • 7,485 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 8th Sep 17, 7:00 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 7:00 PM

I invested in a colour laser for precisely this reason (the majority of my ink was wasted in cleaning cycles rather than used for printing) and have never looked back.

Originally posted by dj1471
    And in other news HP have Instant Ink.
    • JohnB47
    • By JohnB47 8th Sep 17, 7:16 PM
    • 901 Posts
    • 284 Thanks
    JohnB47
    • 8th Sep 17, 7:16 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 7:16 PM
    This is the DIY forum, not the technial forum, the replies you get may reflect that.

I can tell you from experience that cleaning cycles use a LOT of ink and will burn through cartridges very quickly.
    Originally posted by onomatopoeia99
    Oops. Sorry - and thanks. Yes, I'm wondering now if I had a cyan cartridge problem and ran through all my other ink trying to fix it. Arrrrggg.

Mods - Any chance of you moving this thread to the 'Techic Stuff' forum please?
    • dj1471
    • By dj1471 9th Sep 17, 6:12 AM
    • 901 Posts
    • 598 Thanks
    dj1471
    • 9th Sep 17, 6:12 AM
    • 9th Sep 17, 6:12 AM
    And in other news HP have Instant Ink.
    Originally posted by theonlywayisup
    Your point being?

The OP has a Brother printer and inkjets are still a PITA whatever the cost of the ink..
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 9th Sep 17, 10:00 AM
    • 2,191 Posts
    • 1,112 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    • 9th Sep 17, 10:00 AM
    • 9th Sep 17, 10:00 AM
    Send a PM to a board guide, choose from one of these: - Nile, silvercar, Cornucopia
    • JohnB47
    • By JohnB47 9th Sep 17, 11:28 AM
    • 901 Posts
    • 284 Thanks
    JohnB47
    • 9th Sep 17, 11:28 AM
    • 9th Sep 17, 11:28 AM
    Send a PM to a board guide, choose from one of these: - Nile, silvercar, Cornucopia
    Originally posted by Le_Kirk
    Cheers. I've done that.
    • Hermione Granger
    • By Hermione Granger 9th Sep 17, 3:18 PM
    • 776 Posts
    • 1,198 Thanks
    Hermione Granger
    • 9th Sep 17, 3:18 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 3:18 PM
    Your point being?

The OP has a Brother printer and inkjets are still a PITA whatever the cost of the ink..

Some people don't need a point to post, they simply like to post to make themselves look big.
    Unfortunately for them, in most cases they simply end up looking like complete tw**s.
    • Nile
    • By Nile 9th Sep 17, 7:10 PM
    • 14,223 Posts
    • 14,160 Thanks
    Nile
    Hi, we move threads if we think they’ll get more help elsewhere (please read the forum rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board. If you have any questions about this policy please email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.

I’ve moved your thread from the ‘In my home’ board to the ‘Techie Stuff’ board, where it is better suited.

Regards

Nile
    Hi, I'm the Board Guide on the In my home (includes DIY) and the I wanna buy-it or do-it boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
    • virgo17
    • By virgo17 10th Sep 17, 9:20 AM
    • 665 Posts
    • 228 Thanks
    virgo17

Not wishing to hijack the thread but I am in the same position. Which colour laser did you go for? Thanks.
    • dj1471
    • By dj1471 11th Sep 17, 10:17 AM
    • 901 Posts
    • 598 Thanks
    dj1471
    Not wishing to hijack the thread but I am in the same position. Which colour laser did you go for? Thanks.
    Originally posted by virgo17
    I went for a HP 1515n but that's no longer a current model. I chose HP based on the price of the printer and the availability and price of compatible toners. I've had it for a number of years with no issues.
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 11th Sep 17, 12:16 PM
    • 3,253 Posts
    • 1,477 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    I'm going to suggest Intstant Ink too... from a cost and minimum hassle point of view...
    Option1. assuming your printer can print a test page AND you have some time on your hands to follow this through; buy this HP printer for £15 (after trading in your current printer) and try HP's Instank Ink for £2/month which includes an allowance of 50 pages/month
    https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/hp-officejet-pro-8710-wireless-all-in-one-printer-hpstore-75-15-after-trade-in-3-year-warranty-2784891

Option2. Cheapest Instant Ink printer is about £30 e.g.
    https://www.johnlewis.com/hp-deskjet-3630-all-in-one-wireless-printer-hp-instant-ink-compatible/p2251357
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature because somebody complained that the information contained within it was too helpful.
    • JohnB47
    • By JohnB47 11th Sep 17, 1:43 PM
    • 901 Posts
    • 284 Thanks
    JohnB47
    Thanks for the latest replies.

I contacted Choice Stationery Supplies and they've agreed to send me a replacement cyan cart FOC. I've still lost out on the other colours but I suppose it would have been too much to ask for them to agree to 'consequential loss'. Fair enough.

I've decided that I need to always check, when replacing carts, that the little breather hole is unobstructed, after tearing off the sealing strip. I think mine was still taped up, which was at the root of my problem.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,585Posts Today

7,581Users online

Martin's Twitter