Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pixiepops17
    • By pixiepops17 8th Sep 17, 4:30 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    pixiepops17
    Credit car hire - going to court!
    • 8th Sep 17, 4:30 PM
    Credit car hire - going to court! 8th Sep 17 at 4:30 PM
    Hi All,

I hope someone could help me with my situation right now.
    !
    I was involved in a car accident almost two years ago. !
    The accident happened in a traffic controlled roundabout.
    I was about to exit. I was in left lane, signalling left, the light was green so I proceeded, then suddenly the coming from my left side drove into the left side of my car.

The son of the third party got out of the car and asked if we were okay, and asked if we could move aside as we are causing traffic from my behind.They moved first, and I followed them. The third party told me his light was a go. I couldn’t answer him back, as I was in a state of shock. I was trembling the whole time.
    He reported the incident to the police, and the police said they won’t come as no one got injured. We exchanged details.! The car he was driving was a rented car and he's not from UK, and he would be leaving soon that time.
    !
    He then rang the rental company to report the incident and then passed the phone to me.
    The staff took my details, and the last question she asked me; ;Is it your fault'?
    And I said; No. I don't think so, I don't know'.
    I could not think straight that time. I was completely shocked as this was my first accident I had involved in. I even described the accident in two lines.
    !
    The car was not driveable therefore I hired someone to tow my car.
    I reported the whole incident to my insurance when I got home.
    My insurance arranged an engineer to assess my vehicle and has been deemed as a total loss..
    !
    I have no car to get to work, therefore I have asked my insurance if my cover includes a courtesy car, then they !passed me to Albany Assistance.
    I have talked to them they said that I have nothing to pay as they will recover the cost from the third party. I signed the agreement. I had the car for 3 weeks.
    !
    Albany cannot recover the cost! from the third party therefore they will take further actions against them. Third party disputing liability.

They have passed the file! to solicitors to recover the outstanding invoice.
    As of now, they will update me once they have issued a legal proceeding.
    !

These are all new to me.
    I do not know what to expect, or to do.
    Is there anyone can advise me on this?
    What would be the outcome if this goes to court?

Thank you.
    Last edited by pixiepops17; 08-09-2017 at 4:45 PM. Reason: Too detailed
Page 1
    • OnanTheBarbarian
    • By OnanTheBarbarian 8th Sep 17, 5:31 PM
    • 1,358 Posts
    • 824 Thanks
    OnanTheBarbarian
    • 8th Sep 17, 5:31 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 5:31 PM
    Just tell the truth and co operate with the solicitors and provide them with any information they require and you have nothing to worry about.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 9th Sep 17, 2:00 AM
    • 25,688 Posts
    • 10,208 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 9th Sep 17, 2:00 AM
    • 9th Sep 17, 2:00 AM
    Left lane turning left and someone drove into you from the left damaging your left side?
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • pixiepops17
    • By pixiepops17 9th Sep 17, 10:01 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    pixiepops17
    • 9th Sep 17, 10:01 AM
    • 9th Sep 17, 10:01 AM
    Yes, I was in a roundabout. Before, I approached my exit, I was in left lane, signalling left, then suddenly the third party drove into my car where she came from left.
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 9th Sep 17, 10:11 AM
    • 3,766 Posts
    • 2,351 Thanks
    csgohan4
    • 9th Sep 17, 10:11 AM
    • 9th Sep 17, 10:11 AM
    dashcam? would be useful for your insurer to prove fault
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land"
    • pixiepops17
    • By pixiepops17 9th Sep 17, 10:47 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    pixiepops17
    • 9th Sep 17, 10:47 AM
    • 9th Sep 17, 10:47 AM
    I did not have dashcam at the time.. We did not get a chance to take a photo of the scene as the third party's son asked us to move aside as we causing traffic from my behind.. I have only photos of the two vehicles' damages. No witness either.
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 9th Sep 17, 10:51 AM
    • 5,123 Posts
    • 4,777 Thanks
    eddddy
    • 9th Sep 17, 10:51 AM
    • 9th Sep 17, 10:51 AM
    Third party disputing liability.
    Originally posted by pixiepops17
    Are you sure that the third party are disputing liability?

Sometimes these court cases happen because the third party has accepted liability, but they are challenging the outrageously high car rental rates that the credit hire company are asking for.

If that's the case, normally with credit hire contracts, it will end up as an argument in court between the credit hire company and the 3rd party insurer. You just answer any questions that you are asked.
    • pixiepops17
    • By pixiepops17 9th Sep 17, 10:55 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    pixiepops17
    • 9th Sep 17, 10:55 AM
    • 9th Sep 17, 10:55 AM
    Yes, third party is disputing liability. They've been saying that it was my fault, which is not true.

My claim hasn't been settled.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 9th Sep 17, 11:10 AM
    • 25,688 Posts
    • 10,208 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 9th Sep 17, 11:10 AM
    • 9th Sep 17, 11:10 AM
    How did they crash into your left side if you were already in the left lane?

Before you approached your exit you were in the left lane and swung wide for some reason?

Puzzled how this car crashed into your left side if you were in the left hand lane??

To the other driver their version could be you were in front indicating left but then didnt actually keep to the left so they assumed you had left the indicator on and actually going straight on, they stayed in the left lane and you moved back to the left crashing into them?
    Last edited by forgotmyname; 09-09-2017 at 11:12 AM.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • pixiepops17
    • By pixiepops17 9th Sep 17, 11:16 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    pixiepops17
    The third party just entered the roundabout, I was coming from her right. My light was a go, I proceeded and suddenly he collided with my vehicle. It's a roundabout.
    • pixiepops17
    • By pixiepops17 9th Sep 17, 11:20 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    pixiepops17
    I believe the rules of exiting roundabout, you have to keep left, indicate left until you are about to exit the roundabout.
    • FutureGirl
    • By FutureGirl 9th Sep 17, 12:08 PM
    • 922 Posts
    • 371 Thanks
    FutureGirl
    What exactly is the other driver disputing?

Only thing I can think of, if it's a light controlled roundabout, is that they are alleging your light was red, and theirs was green.

Do you have any proof you had a green light? If not it'll likely go down as a 50/50 split, in which case Albany can recover 50% of their invoice from the other insurer.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

191Posts Today

1,514Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin