Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jrsga
    • By jrsga 8th Sep 17, 4:00 PM
    • 68Posts
    • 2Thanks
    jrsga
    PPI advice
    • 8th Sep 17, 4:00 PM
    PPI advice 8th Sep 17 at 4:00 PM
    Hello

I had many credit cards and loans in the late 80s and through the 90s.

I contacted Barclays by phone who say they can only go back 6 years.

Can anyone advise:

- Does Barclays PPI "Enquiry" form online go back further than 6 years?
    - I am a person who believes I was savvy enough never to have taken PPI in those years. Is it possible PPI could have been added without my knowing?

regards
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 8th Sep 17, 4:12 PM
    • 14,130 Posts
    • 14,817 Thanks
    zx81
    • 8th Sep 17, 4:12 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 4:12 PM
    If Barclays only retain data for 6 years, then it won't change that, no matter which channel you go through.

PPI would have appeared on your statements.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 8th Sep 17, 4:29 PM
    • 89,593 Posts
    • 56,068 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 8th Sep 17, 4:29 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 4:29 PM
    - Does Barclays PPI "Enquiry" form online go back further than 6 years?
    The form doesnt have any timescale. Their records are the things that get deleted over time. 6 years is the date recommended by the FCA after closure.

- I am a person who believes I was savvy enough never to have taken PPI in those years. Is it possible PPI could have been added without my knowing?
    No. It appeared as a transaction on the statement each month on the credit card. For loans, it was included in the breakdown if you had it. So, as long as you read your documents, you cannot have had it without knowing.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • jrsga
    • By jrsga 8th Sep 17, 4:42 PM
    • 68 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    jrsga
    • 8th Sep 17, 4:42 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 4:42 PM
    The form doesnt have any timescale. Their records are the things that get deleted over time. 6 years is the date recommended by the FCA after closure.

No. It appeared as a transaction on the statement each month on the credit card. For loans, it was included in the breakdown if you had it. So, as long as you read your documents, you cannot have had it without knowing.
    Originally posted by dunstonh
    Then if their records get deleted where do I stand on making a claim? I understand one can go back as far as is necessary.

Not according to the FCA - they say " It is likely you were mis-sold PPI if you experienced any of the following"
    • PPI was added without telling you
    Ultimately as its nearly 30 years I have no paperwork so I'm rather concerned that I had it been added on cards/loans without me knowing.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 8th Sep 17, 5:06 PM
    • 89,593 Posts
    • 56,068 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 8th Sep 17, 5:06 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 5:06 PM
    hen if their records get deleted where do I stand on making a claim? I understand one can go back as far as is necessary.
    If they have no records and you have no records then its game over.

Not according to the FCA - they say " It is likely you were mis-sold PPI if you experienced any of the following"
    PPI was added without telling you
    It is a complaint reason. However, if you saw an entry for PPI on your statement each month that you did not agree to, would you not contact them?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • jrsga
    • By jrsga 8th Sep 17, 5:17 PM
    • 68 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    jrsga
    • 8th Sep 17, 5:17 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 5:17 PM
    If they have no records and you have no records then its game over.

It is a complaint reason. However, if you saw an entry for PPI on your statement each month that you did not agree to, would you not contact them?
    If they have no records isnt the onus on them to access this information?

If its a complaint its a complaint. I am going back 20+ years I would have had no clue trying to recall if something was showing or not.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 8th Sep 17, 5:59 PM
    • 89,593 Posts
    • 56,068 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 8th Sep 17, 5:59 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 5:59 PM
    If they have no records isnt the onus on them to access this information?
    No its not. That is not how English law works. And for good reason.

For example, I make the allegation that you stole £20 from my wallet. If the law was your way. You would have to prove that you didnt steal it. Whereas English law requires proof you did. The burden of proof is on the one making the allegation.

How can you prove something that didnt happen? If PPI was not sold there would be no paperwork showing that it wasnt sold.

If its a complaint its a complaint.
    Not all complaint reasons are equal though. Some complaint reasons are completely valid but have virtually no chance of success.

I am going back 20+ years I would have had no clue trying to recall if something was showing or not.
    That is now. What about when you got the statement? You said in post #1 you were someone "who believes I was savvy enough never to have taken PPI". If you didnt check your monthly statements then your view of yourself is wrong.
    • -taff
    • By -taff 9th Sep 17, 1:34 PM
    • 7,113 Posts
    • 5,112 Thanks
    -taff
    • 9th Sep 17, 1:34 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 1:34 PM
    Then if their records get deleted where do I stand on making a claim?
    Originally posted by jrsga
    Nowehere

I understand one can go back as far as is necessary.
    No

Ultimately as its nearly 30 years I have no paperwork so I'm rather concerned that I had it been added on cards/loans without me knowing.
    If you were 'savvy' you would have checked your statements and seen an extra charge which you would have queried.

If you want to set your mind at rest, you can send a SAR and£10 to each company to see what info they have left
    • jrs101
    • By jrs101 11th Sep 17, 9:01 AM
    • 98 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    jrs101
    • 11th Sep 17, 9:01 AM
    • 11th Sep 17, 9:01 AM

For example, I make the allegation that you stole £20 from my wallet. If the law was your way. You would have to prove that you didnt steal it. Whereas English law requires proof you did. The burden of proof is on the one making the allegation.

How can you prove something that didnt happen? If PPI was not sold there would be no paperwork showing that it wasnt sold.

Not all complaint reasons are equal though. Some complaint reasons are completely valid but have virtually no chance of success.

That is now. What about when you got the statement? You said in post #1 you were someone "who believes I was savvy enough never to have taken PPI". If you didnt check your monthly statements then your view of yourself is wrong.
    Quote Martin - One of the ways PPI was mis-sold was by being added without you being told....That has nothing to do with being savvy and thankfully the view of myself still stands.

If I was sold it without my knowing then it's perfectly possible I didnt see it from a statement - we all know how clever institutions were like back in those times.
    • jrs101
    • By jrs101 11th Sep 17, 9:01 AM
    • 98 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    jrs101
    Nowehere

No

If you were 'savvy' you would have checked your statements and seen an extra charge which you would have queried.

If you want to set your mind at rest, you can send a SAR and£10 to each company to see what info they have left
    Originally posted by -taff
    Incorrect - one can go back as far as is necessary,
    • jrs101
    • By jrs101 11th Sep 17, 9:03 AM
    • 98 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    jrs101

If it was added without my knowing then without doubt the onus is on them to verify and pay out. Thats fraud in my book.
    • RADDERS
    • By RADDERS 11th Sep 17, 10:09 AM
    • 158 Posts
    • 144 Thanks
    RADDERS
    If you had PPI on your credit cards it would have shown on every single statement, if there was a balance outstanding. So 12 statements every year.
    If you paid the balance off every month then as PPI is paid on the outstanding balance you would have not paid PPI.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 11th Sep 17, 10:09 AM
    • 89,593 Posts
    • 56,068 Thanks
    dunstonh
    Quote Martin - One of the ways PPI was mis-sold was by being added without you being told....That has nothing to do with being savvy and thankfully the view of myself still stands.
    It cannot have been added without your knowledge. It would have appeared on the application. It would appear on every single monthly statement you had.

Martin is referring to people who dont check their paperwork before signing it or those that dont read their statements each month.

Incorrect - one can go back as far as is necessary,
    Incorrect. There are some sales that can only go back to 2005. However, if its not one of those, then there is no time limit in the rules. However, documentation gets destroyed over time. Especially on closed accounts. The regulator recommends 6 years is retained. So, whilst they cannot refuse to look at your complaint, the available evidence may be little to non-existent the further back you go.

If it was added without my knowing then without doubt the onus is on them to verify and pay out. Thats fraud in my book.
    You will need to prove it was added without your knowledge for that complaint to succeed. Seeings as hardly any complaints succeed on that basis alone, its unlikely you or they have any evidence to support your allegation.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

888Posts Today

6,609Users online

Martin's Twitter