Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ElwoodBlues
    • By ElwoodBlues 8th Sep 17, 3:49 PM
    • 67Posts
    • 11Thanks
    ElwoodBlues
    TalkTalk Mobile, should I cancel the DD?
    • 8th Sep 17, 3:49 PM
    TalkTalk Mobile, should I cancel the DD? 8th Sep 17 at 3:49 PM
    I had a sim only mobile contract (12 months) with talktalk, and I was about 6 months into it when they announced their prices increases a couple of months ago. I didn't want to accept the price increase, so I phoned up to cancel (actually I got a PAC and ported my number to another provider).

Transfer away went through mid august, and 10 days later I get my 'final' bill from them. Only they've put on it a huge charge for all the remaining months on my contract, even though I'm fully entitled to cancel early due to their price increases (and they acknowledged this at the time I phoned up to cancel).

So I immediately got onto their online chat service, and spent a good while explaining the problem to them. They replied that it was being sorted out and that a credit would be applied to my account. I told them that I wanted it correctingout before the DD would be taken in two weeks time (for the wrong amount), and they assured me that it would be sorted before then.

Unsurprisingly, nothing seemed to get corrected, so I got onto the online chat with them again a couple of days ago. Had to go through the whole thing again, but this time I insisted they apply the credit while I was talking to them. Now my account shows a negative balance (i.e. the amount I'm in credit with them), but it also suggests that they're still going to take the wrong amount by DD in a couple of days.

So, should I cancel the DD and risk them getting stroppy and putting a black mark on my credit record, or just suck it up and hope that they refund me correctly in another months time?
Page 1
    • Farway
    • By Farway 8th Sep 17, 4:19 PM
    • 5,489 Posts
    • 6,685 Thanks
    Farway
    • 8th Sep 17, 4:19 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 4:19 PM
    Just suck it up and bide your time, unless you want 6 years of a bad credit record with all the problems that will give you
    • millie
    • By millie 8th Sep 17, 5:03 PM
    • 890 Posts
    • 305 Thanks
    millie
    • 8th Sep 17, 5:03 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 5:03 PM
    I had the same problem with them they put £124.50 on to my final bill. I spoke to them and they agreed to cancel it. don't know where they got that figure from anyway I was only paying £7.50 per month and only had 9 months left on the contract. A few days later it was still showing online for the same amount so I did an online chat, they insisted it was cancelled. I just left it and thought I would argue if they took it. They did not. I could not cancel my DD as my landline is still with them.
    • mobilejunkie
    • By mobilejunkie 8th Sep 17, 5:11 PM
    • 7,407 Posts
    • 2,304 Thanks
    mobilejunkie
    • 8th Sep 17, 5:11 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 5:11 PM
    Just suck it up and bide your time, unless you want 6 years of a bad credit record with all the problems that will give you
    Originally posted by Farway
    I agree. Make a formal complaint and when they ignore it go the the Ombudsman - though the one for Talkmobile is more concerned with fobbing complainants off than being impartial and fair. You do need proof other than "they confirmed it over the phone" since THIS Ombudsman will accept anything Talkmobile tell them (without proof) and nothing you tell them (sometimes even with proof).

The alternative might however cause you far more grief in the long run.
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 8th Sep 17, 5:25 PM
    • 398 Posts
    • 247 Thanks
    Mister G
    • 8th Sep 17, 5:25 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 5:25 PM
    I think that the OP is with TalkTalk Mobile, not Talkmobile.

That's not to say that they are not as bad as each other!
    • Terry98
    • By Terry98 8th Sep 17, 5:27 PM
    • 791 Posts
    • 719 Thanks
    Terry98
    • 8th Sep 17, 5:27 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 5:27 PM
    Haven't Talkmobile been taken over by Vodafone and will close down when it's current contracts expire?

Whoever allowed two different mobile companies to operate with very similar names?

Nothing to do with the OP's question though!
    • ElwoodBlues
    • By ElwoodBlues 8th Sep 17, 6:35 PM
    • 67 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    ElwoodBlues
    • 8th Sep 17, 6:35 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 6:35 PM
    Yes, it's TalkTalk Mobile (the mobile division of talktalk), and no relation to Talk Mobile.

They did something very similar when I transferred my landline and broadband away from them too. Seems to be a normal part of their cashflow 'system'.
    • mobilejunkie
    • By mobilejunkie 8th Sep 17, 6:43 PM
    • 7,407 Posts
    • 2,304 Thanks
    mobilejunkie
    • 8th Sep 17, 6:43 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 6:43 PM
    My mistake - not sure who the Ombudsman is for TlkRalk - hoipefully not the same as Talkmobile's. It doesn't change my advice, however!
    • phillw
    • By phillw 8th Sep 17, 6:50 PM
    • 801 Posts
    • 396 Thanks
    phillw
    • 8th Sep 17, 6:50 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 6:50 PM
    Only they've put on it a huge charge for all the remaining months on my contract, even though I'm fully entitled to cancel early due to their price increases (and they acknowledged this at the time I phoned up to cancel).
    Originally posted by ElwoodBlues
    It's pretty common across all providers for this to happen. They then wait for you to complain and when you do they make you wait.

The wait is because the money doesn't clear immediately and they are worried that you'll get a refund from them and then the payment will bounce, or be reversed.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,237Posts Today

8,192Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin