Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • harshitguptaiitr
    • By harshitguptaiitr 8th Sep 17, 2:45 PM
    • 88Posts
    • 14Thanks
    harshitguptaiitr
    FTB - pre-paid key meter for electricity
    • 8th Sep 17, 2:45 PM
    FTB - pre-paid key meter for electricity 8th Sep 17 at 2:45 PM
    Hello
    The property I am planning to buy has a pre-paid key meter for electricity.

Are there any particular questions that I should be raising with the vendor since having a pre-paid meter is not a common practice.

At what point during the process am I allowed to ask the energy companies to switch the meter to a standard credit meter. Note that appointment times will not be next day, so when should I ideally ask them and find a suitable appointment date.

I want to be sure that energy companies will be able to change the meter type and there won't be expensive issues because of anything related to the property or wiring.

Looking forward to your help please.
Page 1
    • aneary
    • By aneary 8th Sep 17, 4:45 PM
    • 751 Posts
    • 633 Thanks
    aneary
    • 8th Sep 17, 4:45 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 4:45 PM
    I've had to change mine in a rental accommodation.

Some companies do it for free. Some take a deposit. Some charge. Some you have to be a customer for a period of time. Check all as you need to factor this as well as ongoing prices.

Also check there isn't any debt on the meter I didn't and ended up paying £15 debt not a massive amount but annoying. It can be fair fair higher so check this and call the current energy provider the day you move in.
    • RiversTam
    • By RiversTam 8th Sep 17, 6:01 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    RiversTam
    • 8th Sep 17, 6:01 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 6:01 PM
    When you officially own the property you can call up and register with the gas/electric company.
    Don't worry about debt, they reset the meter to 0 for new customers.

You can change easily to a normal meter but may need to change supplier first - some are easier than others to sort it, look for companies that change it for free and without a credit check.
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 8th Sep 17, 8:42 PM
    • 3,127 Posts
    • 4,334 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    • 8th Sep 17, 8:42 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 8:42 PM
    We bought a house like this not long ago and you have to wait until you own the house and then get the company that owns the meter to change it. You have to do it because you are the one who will be paying for the supply.
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 8th Sep 17, 10:56 PM
    • 2,793 Posts
    • 2,795 Thanks
    cjdavies
    • 8th Sep 17, 10:56 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 10:56 PM
    Day 1 when it becomes yours, do not use the key as it's linked to the seller.

Are there any particular questions that I should be raising with the vendor since having a pre-paid meter is not a common practice.
    Originally posted by harshitguptaiitr

Really? Had mine for 9 years.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,191Posts Today

6,785Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin