Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • msallen
    • By msallen 8th Sep 17, 2:43 PM
    • 555Posts
    • 491Thanks
    msallen
    Barclays IT woes
    • 8th Sep 17, 2:43 PM
    Barclays IT woes 8th Sep 17 at 2:43 PM
    I'm assuming I'm not the only person this has just happened to?

I just received a text from Barclays saying that they recently asked me to confirm my details with them (but they didn't), and that I should log in where I'll see a reminder with details and instructions.

Having logged in there is no reminder and if I click on either Messages, Notifications or Contact us it just reloads the home page again.

I have dealings with Barclays IT through my job and I'm not totally surprised !

Edited to add - I then click on logout and gives me a 502 error telling me that I am not logged on !
    Last edited by msallen; 08-09-2017 at 2:46 PM.
Page 1
    • Mchambers
    • By Mchambers 8th Sep 17, 3:19 PM
    • 452 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    Mchambers
    • 8th Sep 17, 3:19 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 3:19 PM
    Not surprised. It is a c*ap bank. I left them several months ago to take retirement.

Suggest you phone customer services. You will probably get one of their awful Indian call centres. Just politely ask to speak to someone in the UK. I has always worked for me. Then complain.

As you are probably aware, Barclays are being prosecuted for fraud in 2019 with 4 of their directors (including their ex-ceo John Varley).

HTHs.
    • Zanderman
    • By Zanderman 8th Sep 17, 3:31 PM
    • 1,291 Posts
    • 3,717 Thanks
    Zanderman
    • 8th Sep 17, 3:31 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 3:31 PM
    Two observations:

1. Was the text really from Barclays? And did you follow links from the text? Or login from the app or from the website? Could be a scam...
    2. Barclays online system was very very slow this morning when I logged in. Took an age to load each page, to the extent I nearly gave up several times, but I got there in the end. Only trying to do a transfer.
    Last edited by Zanderman; 08-09-2017 at 3:32 PM. Reason: typo
    • msallen
    • By msallen 8th Sep 17, 3:53 PM
    • 555 Posts
    • 491 Thanks
    msallen
    • 8th Sep 17, 3:53 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 3:53 PM
    I can't be sure the text was from Barclays, but there was no link in it so I can't see the benefit of any potential nefarious reason behind it, and given that the website wasn't functioning when I go there (from my normal stored bookmark) I'm sure it was genuine (even if sent in error).

I've just tried again. This time clicking Messages or Notifications gets a "Bad Request" result, whilst Contact us opens a new tab and logs me out in the original one.

Seems like they're having some serious glitches today. I'm sure someone at Radbroke Hall is pulling their hair out as I type .
    • Shakin Steve
    • By Shakin Steve 8th Sep 17, 5:27 PM
    • 1,040 Posts
    • 760 Thanks
    Shakin Steve
    • 8th Sep 17, 5:27 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 5:27 PM
    I just logged in and out with no problems and have used the app twice today. I received the 'update your details' notification earlier this week. Just four boxes with country of birth, country of residence, name of employer and annual salary.
    The pre-filled information had an employer and salary that was five years out of date.

OP, have you tried using a different browser?
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
    • jeanniej
    • By jeanniej 8th Sep 17, 6:17 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    jeanniej
    • 8th Sep 17, 6:17 PM
    I had the 'update your details' notification a few months back - when I clicked on it it opened up a 'Docusign' document - same four questions as the previous contributor mentioned. Filled in and got message on-screen to say if they required further info they would contact me. Today another notifcation in online banking to say I hadn't responded! Phoned up and appears information got through but they told me that there is a known on-going problem with this in online banking.

Also if I mark the message as read all I get is an error code.
    • msallen
    • By msallen 8th Sep 17, 6:17 PM
    • 555 Posts
    • 491 Thanks
    msallen
    I cleared my cookies and tried again. I was then able to log in and when I clicked Notifications this time found a similar message asking me to check my details (again referring to a previous request which I definitely did not receive). However when I clicked on the link to check my details I get a screen saying "Application Error" and then a link to "Try again". Clicking Try Again I was taken to a page titled "Sign It" (thats sign IT, not sign IN) and prompted to enter a "Reference Number" (apparently minimum length 16 digits) and an "Access Code" (minimum length 6 digits), but I had no idea what these were.

I signed out/in again and was prompted to use the PINSentry to prove my ID. After doing this I was finally able to check my details as requested.

As chance would have it I got the random popup asking me to review my visit to the site today on this final attempt. Needless to say I left a scathing review
    • msallen
    • By msallen 8th Sep 17, 6:19 PM
    • 555 Posts
    • 491 Thanks
    msallen
    • 8th Sep 17, 6:19 PM
    Thanks jeanniej - glad no know its not me going mad !
    • Mchambers
    • By Mchambers 8th Sep 17, 6:19 PM
    • 452 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    Mchambers
    Just complain as I advised in a previous post.
    • jeanniej
    • By jeanniej 8th Sep 17, 6:24 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    jeanniej
    I have - but won't do any good.

Haven't been able to mark the message as read for three months - just 'notifications centre is unavailable'
    • jeanniej
    • By jeanniej 8th Sep 17, 6:39 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    jeanniej
    One thing maybe of note is this message was only present when viewing via a web browser - when I logged in via the ios app - no message there.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,726Posts Today

9,594Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Sneaky NAKED photo... ...of the room where many political and regional TV interviews are done. This is before the? https://t.co/fDdeKQOQuU

• The Premium Bond rate is being boosted from 1.15% to 1.4% should you pile in? My analysis... https://t.co/3Q7tjphAFO

• RT @colinjdunn: First #Plevin cheque received this morning - £548.66 from Nationwide & with other claims still outstanding - so thanks @Mar?

• Follow Martin