Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sumarokov
    • By Sumarokov 8th Sep 17, 2:15 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Sumarokov
    Filing return even if not reached tax threshhold?
    • 8th Sep 17, 2:15 PM
    Filing return even if not reached tax threshhold? 8th Sep 17 at 2:15 PM
    Hello

I was resident in the UK for the whole 2016/17 tax year. Over this period, I was living off my savings and looking for work (which I found in May 2017). I did have an income of just under £1,500 from doing a translation in this period, but this was the only income I had over the 2016/17 tax year.

Do I still need to file a tax return regardless?
Page 1
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 8th Sep 17, 5:38 PM
    • 4,787 Posts
    • 4,158 Thanks
    00ec25
    • 8th Sep 17, 5:38 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 5:38 PM
    interesting question?

do you qualify for a UK income tax personal allowance because you pass the statutory residence test? eg are you a citizen of an EC country?
    http://www.litrg.org.uk/tax-guides/migrants-and-tax/residence-and-domicile/what-residence

If you do then you do NOT have to file as tax return as the personal allowance would more than cover your earnings so no tax is due. If no tax is due you are not required to report the income to HMRC
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 8th Sep 17, 9:09 PM
    • 18,434 Posts
    • 14,147 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 8th Sep 17, 9:09 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 9:09 PM
    Have you been asked to file a return? If so you either have to do it or ask HMRC to withdraw the request.
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 9th Sep 17, 2:09 AM
    • 687 Posts
    • 676 Thanks
    badmemory
    • 9th Sep 17, 2:09 AM
    • 9th Sep 17, 2:09 AM
    Have you been asked to file a return? If so you either have to do it or ask HMRC to withdraw the request.
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    And get them to put it in writing or you could land up with penalties.
    • Sumarokov
    • By Sumarokov 9th Sep 17, 7:58 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sumarokov
    • 9th Sep 17, 7:58 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 7:58 PM
    Hello and sorry for not providing the additional information in my initial post.

I am a British citizen. I was living abroad until March 2016, when I came back to the UK to look for work. I ran down my savings and did not apply for any financial help with anything, as I had over £18K in my bank.

I have not been asked to file anything with HMRC, no tax return. I have registered with them over this period of residence, but that is all. I do not appear on any accounts, PAYE returns over the 2016/17 period, etc. The only thing is if my bank has to inform HMRC of all money coming into my account and that was just £1,500 during that period.

I just thought I would ask, as from living abroad I know that some countries require a return even if you are below the tax threshhold, just to have you on record anyway. And I was not sure about the situation in the UK.

Thanks for the replies.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,420Posts Today

7,849Users online

Martin's Twitter