Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mutley74
    • By mutley74 8th Sep 17, 2:06 PM
    • 3,711Posts
    • 1,255Thanks
    mutley74
    Advice neighbour asbestos roof
    • 8th Sep 17, 2:06 PM
    Advice neighbour asbestos roof 8th Sep 17 at 2:06 PM
    New neighbours are having major works done on the house.

They have told me they are intending to replace their garage roof, which is made of corrugated asbestos. The garage roof is about 0.5m from our conservatory. I realize that asbestos can only be removed under special permit, is there anything I need to know being so close to this roof? Could my house be affected by any asbestos dust, and does the neighbor have a duty to inform me, so I can keep windows closed etc?

(on previous building work the neighbor has not pre-warned me, resulting in my car being covered in concrete and building dust when the replaced the house roof and rendered wall (I was not pleased with them).
Page 1
    • Niv
    • By Niv 8th Sep 17, 2:22 PM
    • 1,537 Posts
    • 1,341 Thanks
    Niv
    • 8th Sep 17, 2:22 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 2:22 PM
    One thing you need to know is that for the removal of asbestos cement you do not need a special permit (nor do you need to be a licenced contractor).

I would not be particularly worried, unless the removal is especially amateurish the chance of releasing asbestos fibres from cement is low.

As it is approx. 0.5metres away it is probably not a bad idea to close the windows on that side while they do the removal 'just in case' but honestly, it would not be a major concern to me.
    YNWA

Target: Mortgage free by 58.
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 8th Sep 17, 2:29 PM
    • 2,957 Posts
    • 5,406 Thanks
    EachPenny
    • 8th Sep 17, 2:29 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 2:29 PM
    ...I realize that asbestos can only be removed under special permit, is there anything I need to know being so close to this roof? Could my house be affected by any asbestos dust, and does the neighbor have a duty to inform me, so I can keep windows closed etc?
    Originally posted by mutley74
    Anyone can remove asbestos, but only a competent contractor should remove asbestos.

A competent contractor will know how to remove it without spreading dust around, so if they carry out the work correctly then you have nothing to fear.

The question to your neighbour should be whether the contractor is competent. Just because they are a 'builder' doesn't mean they are competent to deal with asbestos.

It might be worth discussing this with your neighbour because it is their house/garden as much as yours that would be at risk if they use a contractor who isn't competent. Having asbestos spread around their garden will cost significantly more to rectify than employing the right people to start with. There are various threads on this forum from people who have suffered as a result of not having the right contractor doing the work.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • docmatt
    • By docmatt 8th Sep 17, 7:39 PM
    • 789 Posts
    • 389 Thanks
    docmatt
    • 8th Sep 17, 7:39 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 7:39 PM
    As long as the sheets are lifted off the roof carefully and in one piece you don't have to bother calling the asbestos police.
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 8th Sep 17, 8:28 PM
    • 2,957 Posts
    • 5,406 Thanks
    EachPenny
    • 8th Sep 17, 8:28 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 8:28 PM
    As long as the sheets are lifted off the roof carefully and in one piece you don't have to bother calling the asbestos police.
    Originally posted by docmatt
    But as the OP explains, the work is being carried out for the neighbour and there is a history of work being done with no thought to controlling dust.

Out of interest, how would you get to the point where the sheets could be "lifted off the roof carefully and in one piece" - given that they are likely to be secured by bolts which almost certainly will have rusted solid? An angle grinder perhaps?
    • PhilE
    • By PhilE 8th Sep 17, 10:46 PM
    • 178 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    PhilE
    • 8th Sep 17, 10:46 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 10:46 PM
    Are they doing it themselves or is an asbestos company doing this?

You have every right to ask. If its the latter, probably nothing to worry about and you should be able to have a chat with the company and make sure there is no risk to you. If its done right, there will be no risk.

Given your neighbors previous history, I'd be concerned if they were doing it themselves and would want to know for your own safety what safety precautions they were taking.

I feel its common courtesy to notify neighbors of anything that may give them a cause for concern.
    • firely2327
    • By firely2327 10th Sep 17, 9:28 PM
    • 125 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    firely2327
    • 10th Sep 17, 9:28 PM
    • 10th Sep 17, 9:28 PM
    I've had this work done nearly three years ago, except on a utility room. There is little to worry about from this corrugated type, however it's the disposal that requires a bit more care. Even there though it just needs to be double bagged and taken to an appropriate centre, no licence required. As someone above said, it's unlikely the sheets will come off intact, that's why the contractors should be wearing some protective gear. As for the OP, just do keep your windows closed on the day/s and take a look outside when the contractors leave in case any obvious 'bits' have entered your property, if they have I'd ask them to come and remove them.
    • mutley74
    • By mutley74 11th Sep 17, 7:39 AM
    • 3,711 Posts
    • 1,255 Thanks
    mutley74
    • 11th Sep 17, 7:39 AM
    • 11th Sep 17, 7:39 AM
    Thanks for the advice. Even though the neighbor is using a "big/major" local firm they don't have any courtesy or consideration for others property.
    How do we ensure they remove any bits from our property? Do they need to wash the area down? As the garage is so close to our fence, it is possible they may need access to the roof from our property side.

I found this information sheet on the HSE website http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/guidance/a14.pdf
    • mutley74
    • By mutley74 24th Sep 17, 10:01 AM
    • 3,711 Posts
    • 1,255 Thanks
    mutley74
    • 24th Sep 17, 10:01 AM
    • 24th Sep 17, 10:01 AM
    So this morning I hear lots of banging. The neighbour's builders started to remove their garage roof on a Sunday 9am. No prior warning or courteous notification to move my car (which is parked ~2m from their garage) and close our windows.
    Not happy
    Last edited by mutley74; 24-09-2017 at 10:11 AM.
    • baza52
    • By baza52 24th Sep 17, 10:23 AM
    • 2,038 Posts
    • 1,994 Thanks
    baza52
    move the car, problem solved
    • JP1978
    • By JP1978 24th Sep 17, 12:47 PM
    • 321 Posts
    • 247 Thanks
    JP1978
    The only need to worry about the car is if they were creating dust.... but if they were creating dust (from the asbestos), it wouldnt be my car I was worried about!

Assume that the banging you can hear isnt them smashing the asbestos panels up? One would hope that they are been unscrewed and removed in one piece?
    • mutley74
    • By mutley74 24th Sep 17, 6:17 PM
    • 3,711 Posts
    • 1,255 Thanks
    mutley74
    The only need to worry about the car is if they were creating dust.... but if they were creating dust (from the asbestos), it wouldnt be my car I was worried about!

Assume that the banging you can hear isnt them smashing the asbestos panels up? One would hope that they are been unscrewed and removed in one piece?
    Originally posted by JP1978
    They made a hole in the roof first, which they used to throw down panels into. Not much use of water to dampen the panels, and mostly hand tools to displace them. They only wore part fitted Protective suits, no dust masks - men were part of a major demolition firm, but working today as favour for the owner.
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 25th Sep 17, 11:22 AM
    • 2,957 Posts
    • 5,406 Thanks
    EachPenny
    They made a hole in the roof first, which they used to throw down panels into. Not much use of water to dampen the panels, and mostly hand tools to displace them. They only wore part fitted Protective suits, no dust masks - men were part of a major demolition firm, but working today as favour for the owner.
    Not the way to do the job, even if you believe the panels are 'safe' asbestos.

But 9am on a Sunday is a good a time as any to do that kind of thing... difficult to get hold of anyone from the council or HSE, and very little chance of a random inspection by the authorities.

And as workers for a demolition firm they have no excuse for not knowing the dangers involved, or what the correct working methods should be.
    • mutley74
    • By mutley74 25th Sep 17, 11:27 AM
    • 3,711 Posts
    • 1,255 Thanks
    mutley74
    Not the way to do the job, even if you believe the panels are 'safe' asbestos.

But 9am on a Sunday is a good a time as any to do that kind of thing... difficult to get hold of anyone from the council or HSE, and very little chance of a random inspection by the authorities.

And as workers for a demolition firm they have no excuse for not knowing the dangers involved, or what the correct working methods should be.
    Originally posted by EachPenny
    I agree, very poor and unprofessional. The chap doing the work said he doing it as a favour to the owner (for free), and the asbestos level was so low, there was no risk to anyone. I disagreed with him, but it is typical of the new neighbor. They now started building a massive full house width, approx. 3/4 m depth conservatory - they gone down route of no planning permission as we were not told, plus a full width dorma in the loft.
    • comeandgo
    • By comeandgo 25th Sep 17, 11:30 AM
    • 1,868 Posts
    • 2,512 Thanks
    comeandgo
    Are you sure there is no planning permission? Our council stopped telling near neighbours of planning a few years ago, it's now just in the local papers or stuck on a lamppost close by.
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 25th Sep 17, 6:31 PM
    • 2,957 Posts
    • 5,406 Thanks
    EachPenny
    I agree, very poor and unprofessional. The chap doing the work said he doing it as a favour to the owner (for free), and the asbestos level was so low, there was no risk to anyone. I disagreed with him, but it is typical of the new neighbor. They now started building a massive full house width, approx. 3/4 m depth conservatory - they gone down route of no planning permission as we were not told, plus a full width dorma in the loft.
    They might have, or think they have, permitted development rights. But probably not.

Are you sure there is no planning permission? Our council stopped telling near neighbours of planning a few years ago, it's now just in the local papers or stuck on a lamppost close by.
    Originally posted by comeandgo
    It is easy for the OP to find out if there is. Just search the name of the relevant council online with the word 'planning' as well. One of the results should be a planning application online search facility. Put the address into that and it will show you details of all planning applications for whatever period of time the council have put theirs online.
    • mutley74
    • By mutley74 25th Sep 17, 8:23 PM
    • 3,711 Posts
    • 1,255 Thanks
    mutley74
    They might have, or think they have, permitted development rights. But probably not.

It is easy for the OP to find out if there is. Just search the name of the relevant council online with the word 'planning' as well. One of the results should be a planning application online search facility. Put the address into that and it will show you details of all planning applications for whatever period of time the council have put theirs online.
    Originally posted by EachPenny
    The local planning office told me that one can build an extension, single storey up to 3m if semi, and 4m for detached. No planning required to develop a full size dorma.
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 25th Sep 17, 8:56 PM
    • 2,957 Posts
    • 5,406 Thanks
    EachPenny
    The local planning office told me that one can build an extension, single storey up to 3m if semi, and 4m for detached. No planning required to develop a full size dorma.
    That does depend though on whether the property has PD rights (some have it specifically excluded, others are within zones (e.g. conservation areas) where PD is removed in whole or part from all properties).

It also depends on what other development has been carried out on the 'original house' and also the position of the extension relative to the boundaries of the property.

Likewise, whether you need to apply for planning consent for roof alterations will depend on the exact circumstances, and there are specific volumetric limits on PD rights.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

285Posts Today

1,467Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin