Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • t33
    • By t33 8th Sep 17, 1:49 PM
    • 38Posts
    • 6Thanks
    t33
    Wax paper
    • 8th Sep 17, 1:49 PM
    Wax paper 8th Sep 17 at 1:49 PM
    A long while ago I was given a lot of wax paper when a family member closed down a food shop. My stock has finally run out and have been looking around for some to buy.

It seems that it has largely become a novely/craft item from what I can make out and perhaps seen as a bit old fashioned - well, I like old fashioned and it is excellent to store cheese etc in the fridge, lasts a long time and no sweatiness you get with plastic, it's also good for packed sandwiches etc. I'm also trying to minimise my use of plastic,

Can't seem to see it in local shops or supermarkets (people look at you as if you are an alien when you ask for it!) so have ordered some online (hate having to do that for such ordinary items!) but the quality seems poor, stiff and not as flexible and tears easily and generally not as nice to use as my inherited stuff which I don't know the brand of btw.

Does anyone use it and could recommend something good, something with, dare I say it, old fashioned quality?

Thank you
Page 1
    • AElene
    • By AElene 8th Sep 17, 6:46 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 211 Thanks
    AElene
    • 8th Sep 17, 6:46 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 6:46 PM
    You could probably substitute baking paper for waxed paper? Might be easier than trying to buy a product that's not easily obtainable now.
    Ælene
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 8th Sep 17, 8:01 PM
    • 7,609 Posts
    • 25,616 Thanks
    Primrose
    • 8th Sep 17, 8:01 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 8:01 PM
    Could you use the inner bags of breakfast cereals like Kelloggs Cornflakes. is this waxed paper or very similar? If so, I'd ask your neighbours to save them for you!
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 8th Sep 17, 10:19 PM
    • 22,930 Posts
    • 88,454 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    • 8th Sep 17, 10:19 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 10:19 PM
    You could try making waxed cloth wraps? Melt beeswax or grate it, sprinkle over clean, pretty cloth, warm through in oven on non stick tray, use brush to ensure it's evenly covered, allow to cool and it moulds to your hands' warmth. Use until it stops wrapping, then rewax. (Rinse it with cool water in between uses - hot, soapy water will take the wax out).
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • jackyann
    • By jackyann 9th Sep 17, 7:36 AM
    • 3,102 Posts
    • 6,038 Thanks
    jackyann
    • 9th Sep 17, 7:36 AM
    • 9th Sep 17, 7:36 AM
    Try seeing if freezer paper will do for you. It is thinner than wax paper because it is only coated on one side.
    Google it, and you'll find suppliers popping up. It is very popular for craft projects, especially quilting / applique as the waxy side will adhere lightly to fabric, but the other side won't.
    I personally prefer it to wax paper, which I find too thick, but you have to work out the best way to do your package folds because you won't get the same adherence.
    Oh, and I agree with the cereal packet idea, but as we have porridge mostly, I only occasionally get some paper (which also doesn't have the same adherence but good keeping qualities)
    • t33
    • By t33 9th Sep 17, 5:58 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    t33
    • 9th Sep 17, 5:58 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 5:58 PM
    Thanks for replies, as varied as usual on the friendly OS board.

No, baking paper is completely different with a different use.
    The breakfast cereal bags is a good idea but not feasible in the long run, not sure also if it is much much thicker than what I'm looking for, though along the same lines. I too am a porridge and toast person.
    Jojo you get the prize for move inventive idea! Much too ambitious for me though.
    Jackyann the freezer paper looks very like it, but with a plastic side rather than wax. Worth looking into.
    In the meantime, I was talking to a neighbour who immediately said it was Deli Wrap 'like they have in Subway for takeaway food', never been to Subway so would anyone know if that would suit?

Sorry, I think I started this off perhaps with the wrong name of the product, but I wasn't really sure.

Thanks again
    • Artytarty
    • By Artytarty 10th Sep 17, 12:41 PM
    • 2,111 Posts
    • 4,605 Thanks
    Artytarty
    • 10th Sep 17, 12:41 PM
    • 10th Sep 17, 12:41 PM
    http://www.deliwraps.co.uk/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=8

This site seems to cover most needs, you didn't say what you want to wrap but it seems there's a paper for everything!
    Norn Iron Club member 473
    • t33
    • By t33 11th Sep 17, 6:53 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    t33
    • 11th Sep 17, 6:53 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 6:53 PM
    Thanks Artytarty that looks interesting too will look into it.
    • lily117
    • By lily117 11th Sep 17, 7:18 PM
    • 526 Posts
    • 635 Thanks
    lily117
    • 11th Sep 17, 7:18 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 7:18 PM
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wax-Paper-for-food-cheese-/182746219048?var=&hash=item2a8c860228:m:mtlfQslTpr WMAt6VoyvuxlA
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,783Posts Today

6,839Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin