Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search

Results: Whad you do when tesco try to round up bills

Yes

6.25% • 1 votes

No

75.00% • 12 votes

Walk away from th store without purchasing

18.75% • 3 votes

You may not vote on this poll

16 votes in total.

• FIRST POST
    • MSE Callum
    • By MSE Callum 8th Sep 17, 1:41 PM
    • 64Posts
    • 27Thanks
    MSE Callum
    0 WOW
    MSE News: Shopping at Tesco this month? Your bill may be rounded up for charity
    • 8th Sep 17, 1:41 PM
    0 WOW
    MSE News: Shopping at Tesco this month? Your bill may be rounded up for charity 8th Sep 17 at 1:41 PM
    If you shop at Tesco over the next month, you may be asked if you want to round up your bill to the nearest 10p to raise money for Diabetes UK and the British Heart Foundation...
    Read the full story:
    'Shopping at Tesco this month? Your bill may be rounded up for charity'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Luke; 18-09-2017 at 4:36 PM.

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 4
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 15th Sep 17, 8:59 AM
    • 18,291 Posts
    • 46,813 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Not necessarily. At least one customer card scheme allows you to pick the charity you want to give to from a long list of charities.

You do have to register an interest into donating to the charity of your choices before you go in to shop though.

So it would be only, do want to round up. Even this could be done away with if you oped in into this on your card before you shop.
    Originally posted by robin58
    Well, the self service tills in our local Tesco Metro were backed up when I went in.
    I usually pop in at the same time several times a week to check if they've got any bargains and the queues were twice as long as normal.

The 'do you want to round up?' screen pops up and people have to read it and opt in or out before moving on to the 'pay' screen..
    I was aware of this and can read & digest information pretty quickly but it did put extra seconds on the time I spent at the till.
    Multiply that by a large volume of customers and you get queues.
    • Paul_Herring
    • By Paul_Herring 21st Sep 17, 10:17 AM
    • 6,178 Posts
    • 2,905 Thanks
    Paul_Herring
    In other Tesco rounding-up news, it appears Tesco are prevaricating by taking ages to sort out why, on Sunday, they decided to round up the price of my Times by an additional 20p, despite my having a voucher for the full price of the paper...

https://twitter.com/xas7wcrg9e/status/909360185612922881

Can't help being somewhat cynical about the reason for this, given this thread...
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    o I am humble
    o You are attention seeking
    o She is Nadine Dorries
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 21st Sep 17, 10:42 AM
    • 18,291 Posts
    • 46,813 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Is that your real address on Twitter?
    • surreysaver
    • By surreysaver 27th Sep 17, 2:17 PM
    • 2,342 Posts
    • 1,316 Thanks
    surreysaver
    I didn't know anything about this rounding-up business until I got home and saw it on my receipt. Some poor sod in Tesco Customer Services will be at the receiving end my my letter-writing skills tomorrow.
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
    • Ken68
    • By Ken68 27th Sep 17, 5:21 PM
    • 6,284 Posts
    • 3,988 Thanks
    Ken68
    Not everywhere then...went to Tesco this pm , paid by contactless £22.54, no round up, just a note to say that is was cheaper than Asda,Morrisons and Sainsbury by £3.98.
    And a chance to win £1,000 by visiting Tescoviews.com
    • MikeArcher
    • By MikeArcher 28th Sep 17, 12:47 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    MikeArcher
    I've had this just happen to me and after contacting customer services they told me this is not down to staff error but that a "glitch" in their system is automatically adding the donation without consent. They also refused to refund the money unless I went back to that actual store that the error occurred (which would cost me more in petrol than the cost of the refund), when I told them I was unwilling to visit the store, they still refused to refund the money but told me they was happy for me to cancel the whole Visa transaction through the bank for my shopping instead. I don't quite understand the policy, but I'm more than happy to get my shopping for free instead of the 6p they owe me....
    • Paul_Herring
    • By Paul_Herring 28th Sep 17, 10:13 AM
    • 6,178 Posts
    • 2,905 Thanks
    Paul_Herring
    but told me they was happy for me to cancel the whole Visa transaction through the bank for my shopping instead. I don't quite understand the policy, but I'm more than happy to get my shopping for free instead of the 6p they owe me....
    Originally posted by MikeArcher

Which will be the bank trying to apply a chargeback. Which Tesco's will argue against because you did in fact receive your shopping..

Not a lot of joined up thinking happening at Tesco's recently it appears.
    o I am humble
    o She is Nadine Dorries
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 2nd Oct 17, 6:49 AM
    • 6,379 Posts
    • 19,282 Thanks
    Doc N
    Tesco - sneaky as always.

Taking the money from its customers, and then making a charitable donation using their money but reflected in its own accounts to get the glory - thus reducing the need for using shareholders' money.
    • Paul_Herring
    • By Paul_Herring 2nd Oct 17, 8:59 AM
    • 6,178 Posts
    • 2,905 Thanks
    Paul_Herring
    but reflected in its own accounts to get the glory - thus reducing the need for using shareholders' money.
    Originally posted by Doc N
    Ahem.

https://www.ft.com/content/7fe6f710-465d-3bc5-99b2-e95ff6bc068f

Three former senior Tesco executives overstated and “massaged” Tesco’s expected profits by £250m and then “bullied and coerced” less senior staff to falsify the figures, a criminal trial has heard.
    o I am humble
    o She is Nadine Dorries
    • aardvaak
    • By aardvaak 2nd Oct 17, 10:02 PM
    • 4,211 Posts
    • 1,867 Thanks
    aardvaak
    tesco
    Do you allow tesco to round you bill to the next £1 at the quick tills?
    • robin58
    • By robin58 3rd Oct 17, 1:29 AM
    • 1,963 Posts
    • 2,015 Thanks
    robin58
    No I wouldn't.

I personally choose who I give donations to, not who Tesco thinks I should.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!!
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 3rd Oct 17, 7:31 AM
    • 18,291 Posts
    • 46,813 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Do you allow tesco to round you bill to the next £1 at the quick tills?
    Originally posted by aardvaak
    Who said anything about rounding to £1?

The rounding up was to the nearest 10p.

And it's not a case of allowing Tesco to do this, you choose to do it if you wish..
    • aardvaak
    • By aardvaak 3rd Oct 17, 10:26 PM
    • 4,211 Posts
    • 1,867 Thanks
    aardvaak
    What is sneaky about it is the message that comes up looks very like the message asking have you used any bags.

Interestingly following complaints at my local store the round up was removed but reappeared a few days later.
    • Hoogle
    • By Hoogle 21st Oct 17, 11:58 PM
    • 58 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    Hoogle
    I for 1 am fed up with having charity pushed up on me, I have to avoid town center main streets as they often have multiple charities there pressure selling. most the time I go to WH SMiths there is someone at the end of checkout line trying to get you to sign up. And to top it off at least once a week I get teams of people Knocking on my door after 8pm or on Sundays getting me to sign up for some cause.

I donate a lot of money and time to my chosen charities each year I also volunteer my work on people that cant really afford to hire me at my normal fees. If I believe in the possibility of a startup etc I happily do the work from Graphic/Website Design and then give them a link to make a donation to my supported charity in return, Sad thing is no matter what the person can afford if they are given a choice it will be the minimum amount. It breaks my heart sometimes that I do a weeks worth of work to see they pay £5 to my charity choice. Even had it done where they charged back the paypal payment how rude.

I am all for charity but I believe it is our choice to donate what we can when we can to whom we can. I am in no way selfish and I help out charities in ways more than money donations. In fact probably 30% of my work is at no monies to me. I am not Tight I promise.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

186Posts Today

1,287Users online

Martin's Twitter