Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search

Results: Whad you do when tesco try to round up bills

Yes

6.25% • 1 votes

No

75.00% • 12 votes

Walk away from th store without purchasing

18.75% • 3 votes

You may not vote on this poll

16 votes in total.

• FIRST POST
    • MSE Callum
    • By MSE Callum 8th Sep 17, 1:41 PM
    • 65Posts
    • 27Thanks
    MSE Callum
    0 WOW
    MSE News: Shopping at Tesco this month? Your bill may be rounded up for charity
    • 8th Sep 17, 1:41 PM
    0 WOW
    MSE News: Shopping at Tesco this month? Your bill may be rounded up for charity 8th Sep 17 at 1:41 PM
    If you shop at Tesco over the next month, you may be asked if you want to round up your bill to the nearest 10p to raise money for Diabetes UK and the British Heart Foundation...
    Read the full story:
    'Shopping at Tesco this month? Your bill may be rounded up for charity'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Luke; 18-09-2017 at 4:36 PM.

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 2
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 9th Sep 17, 6:46 PM
    • 7,544 Posts
    • 8,021 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    Tesco checkouts asking for WRONG AMOUNT to round up
    Check the amounts carefully!!!

On the (scan as you shop) checkout it asked if I wanted to round up by 0.04p for charity.

Clearly this isn't possible, as checkouts don't work in hundredths of a penny. The amount should be 4p or £0.04.

This isn't just nit-picking -- the checkout is asking for your consent for one amount, then deducting another amount.

Assuming this bug is present on all checkouts - or at least all self-scan or scan as you shop checkouts - then EVERY charity 'donation' has been taken from customers' funds without consent.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 10th Sep 17, 7:38 AM
    • 18,317 Posts
    • 46,883 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Self service till at Tesco Metro 'asked' if I wanted to round up.
    I declined.

Probably going to do a big shop at our local Tesco Extra today, I'll be listening for the question.
    • Caddyman
    • By Caddyman 10th Sep 17, 9:45 AM
    • 265 Posts
    • 156 Thanks
    Caddyman
    I've just mentioned this to my wife. She tells me, the 'rounding up' has only come to her attention when paying at self service tills. She went into the same Tesco Extra as I did and paid for her goods at self service and told me the option to donate was clearly displayed on the payment screen. Whether this is the same with 'Scan as you shop', I don't know. All I know is, when I bought my stuff the other day, I went through a till with an operative and the subject never cropped up and my bill wasn't 'rounded up'.
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 10th Sep 17, 11:51 AM
    • 7,544 Posts
    • 8,021 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    She went into the same Tesco Extra as I did and paid for her goods at self service and told me the option to donate was clearly displayed on the payment screen.
    Originally posted by Caddyman
    Was it the correct amount though?
    • Caddyman
    • By Caddyman 10th Sep 17, 1:23 PM
    • 265 Posts
    • 156 Thanks
    Caddyman
    Was it the correct amount though?
    Originally posted by Owain Moneysaver
    Lol! Such suspicion!

Yes, we've both checked the receipt this morning. It is entirely correct.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 10th Sep 17, 2:08 PM
    • 18,317 Posts
    • 46,883 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Lol! Such suspicion!

Yes, we've both checked the receipt this morning. It is entirely correct.
    Originally posted by Caddyman
    It's not suspicion though.

Owain has pointed out that the message shown on the self-service till screen is factually incorrect:

Check the amounts carefully!!!

On the (scan as you shop) checkout it asked if I wanted to round up by 0.04p for charity.

Clearly this isn't possible, as checkouts don't work in hundredths of a penny. The amount should be 4p or £0.04.

This isn't just nit-picking -- the checkout is asking for your consent for one amount, then deducting another amount.

Assuming this bug is present on all checkouts - or at least all self-scan or scan as you shop checkouts - then EVERY charity 'donation' has been taken from customers' funds without consent.
    Originally posted by Owain Moneysaver
    I didn't notice when I used the tills yesterday but I'll look next time.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 10th Sep 17, 2:31 PM
    • 18,317 Posts
    • 46,883 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Just checked our till receipt from earlier.

It came to £xx.30 so no rounding up to be done.
    • HornetSaver
    • By HornetSaver 10th Sep 17, 5:22 PM
    • 2,147 Posts
    • 3,444 Thanks
    HornetSaver
    If Sainsburys or Asda came up with this idea I'd be on board with it.

I object to Tesco doing it because of the plastic bag hike - they should be donating the extra revenue to this particular charitable cause, and use an innovative scheme like this at some point in the future when aforementioned source of revenue tails or levels off.

As an aside, Tesco's 10p bags are of no better quality than Sainsbury's 5p or Asda's 6p ones, and I challenge Tesco to demonstrate how they're better for the environment either.
    I'm standing by my pre-referendum prediction: "Brexit will lead to a recession"

forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=70662330
    • jenniewb
    • By jenniewb 11th Sep 17, 2:04 AM
    • 12,233 Posts
    • 11,535 Thanks
    jenniewb
    If Sainsburys or Asda came up with this idea I'd be on board with it.

I object to Tesco doing it because of the plastic bag hike - they should be donating the extra revenue to this particular charitable cause, and use an innovative scheme like this at some point in the future when aforementioned source of revenue tails or levels off.

As an aside, Tesco's 10p bags are of no better quality than Sainsbury's 5p or Asda's 6p ones, and I challenge Tesco to demonstrate how they're better for the environment either.
    Originally posted by HornetSaver
    I totally agree! If they just took a look at their profits from the sale of their bags I'm sure they'd find the money somewhere without needing to ask the customers to fit the bill.

I don't like their having selected the charity, they could at least ask all their clubcard holders who they would possibly like to donate from and then ask a more personalised question perhaps even offering two or three options as to where they might want to donate as well as even if they want to donate at all.
    • jon81uk
    • By jon81uk 11th Sep 17, 10:05 AM
    • 774 Posts
    • 502 Thanks
    jon81uk
    Originally posted by HornetSaver
    The bag itself is no better for the environment, but by charging more, fewer people will use a bag and should start re-using them. Its got nothing to do with the bag being better for the environment, its all to do with the charge putting people off from using them.

Of course they could have just started charging 10p for the thin bags.
    • horsechestnut
    • By horsechestnut 11th Sep 17, 10:30 AM
    • 1,399 Posts
    • 2,732 Thanks
    horsechestnut
    I only noticed this when I got home. (Only 8p) I certainly wasn't asked and nowhere does it say which charities are involved. As someone else commented, it would be better if we could chose our own charity, like M&S Sparks card. Or rotate local charities on a monthly basis. The effect would be much grater and boost the local economy and well being.
    They do have a collecting point near the exit where you can put tokens that are given at the checkout, specifically for local charities rotated on a monthly basis, and I have noticed that people do put odd pennies in this, eventhough it isn't the idea. So I feel that people would be much happier to give to local charities.
    • Frogletina
    • By Frogletina 11th Sep 17, 10:51 AM
    • 2,914 Posts
    • 10,619 Thanks
    Frogletina
    It may be only pennies, but it penalises people who shop more frequently, and for fewer items, even if they don't object.

Those who do a large shop once a month will pay out very little, whereas my ex, who although has alzheimers, has a habit of going out daily and would probably say yes every time.

Also those who shop on behalf of others, carers etc, may be inadvertently paying extra out which would be wrong as they would not be authorised to do so.

frogletina
    Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman
    The heart asks for pleasure first

SPC 8 #441 £1567.31 SPC 9 #441 £1014.64 SPC 10 #441 £1164.13
    • lindsayb
    • By lindsayb 11th Sep 17, 11:19 AM
    • 410 Posts
    • 2,863 Thanks
    lindsayb
    Just noticed while going through my receipts that the "charity round up" was applied to my bill but i was not asked if I would like to donate.

Although its only a few pence i am annoyed i was not asked and it was assumed by the checkout assistant to just add this on!
    • alfred64
    • By alfred64 11th Sep 17, 3:25 PM
    • 3,671 Posts
    • 3,695 Thanks
    alfred64
    They can round my bill DOWN and donate the difference themselves.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 11th Sep 17, 3:39 PM
    • 18,317 Posts
    • 46,883 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I think all those people who say their bill was rounded up without being asked should email Tesco Customer Service to complain.

If they get inundated with thousands of complaints about being overcharged by very small amounts, they may rethink their staff training about this initiative.

Although Tesco say:
    A Tesco spokesperson told us : "No money should be taken without someone's consent. If money has been taken without someone's consent we would rectify this and refund the money."

If your bill was rounded up without your permission Tesco says you should take your receipt back to the store and they'll refund you.
    why should customers be inconvenienced by having to return to store and possibly queue to get this money back?

Clog their Customer Services team up.

I've been to Tesco today and used the self-service till.
    No rounding up as my bill was £xx.20.
    • Paul_Herring
    • By Paul_Herring 11th Sep 17, 4:10 PM
    • 6,179 Posts
    • 2,905 Thanks
    Paul_Herring
    why should customers be inconvenienced by having to return to store and possibly queue to get this money back?
    Demand that they round the refund up.

To the nearest pound, for (a) not providing the service promised (at the till) and (b) inconvenience (for having to claim it back?)

Just a thought...
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    o I am humble
    o You are attention seeking
    o She is Nadine Dorries
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 11th Sep 17, 9:23 PM
    • 7,544 Posts
    • 8,021 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    Demand that they round the refund up.
    Originally posted by Paul_Herring
    It should at least be "double the difference".

And the difference should come out of Tesco's own money, not the charity donation pot.
    • robin58
    • By robin58 11th Sep 17, 10:19 PM
    • 1,968 Posts
    • 2,025 Thanks
    robin58
    Just a thought.

Considering Tesco are collecting this money for the charities, via Tesco's own systems, do they get the tax break for charity donations before they pass the money on?
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!!
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 12th Sep 17, 7:46 AM
    • 15,497 Posts
    • 126,325 Thanks
    JackieO
    I do my best not to go anywhere near a Tescos anymore and am happy to buy from Lidls or Aldis.

I donate to the charity of my choice and considering the amount of junk food that is sold in Tescos asking folk to donate to a diabetes charity i think is a bit thick to be honest.
    have no wish to be pressured into feeling tight, because I also dislike the chuggers in the High Street and to me this is very little better.

I donate to the Mcmillan appeal and to the Sally Army and they are the ones who get my charity cash and no others
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 12th Sep 17, 7:54 AM
    • 18,317 Posts
    • 46,883 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I do my best not to go anywhere near a Tescos anymore and am happy to buy from Lidls or Aldis.

I donate to the charity of my choice and considering the amount of junk food that is sold in Tescos asking folk to donate to a diabetes charity i think is a bit thick to be honest.
    have no wish to be pressured into feeling tight, because I also dislike the chuggers in the High Street and to me this is very little better.

I donate to the Mcmillan appeal and to the Sally Army and they are the ones who get my charity cash and no others
    Originally posted by JackieO
    I also donate to a few charities of my choice.

I dislike being asked to donate money to any charity.

Rattling a collecting tin under my nose at the entrance to a supermarket or in the street is certain to get you a very pointed glare.

If I were a Tesco employee it would make me uncomfortable to be told I have to ask every customer whose bill is not £xx.x0 if they want to 'round up'.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,547Posts Today

9,973Users online

Martin's Twitter