Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Callum
    • By MSE Callum 8th Sep 17, 1:41 PM
    • 17Posts
    • 7Thanks
    MSE Callum
    0 WOW
    MSE News: Shopping at Tesco this month? Your bill may be rounded up for charity
    • 8th Sep 17, 1:41 PM
    0 WOW
    MSE News: Shopping at Tesco this month? Your bill may be rounded up for charity 8th Sep 17 at 1:41 PM
    If you shop at Tesco over the next month, you may be asked if you want to round up your bill to the nearest 10p to raise money for Diabetes UK and the British Heart Foundation...
    Read the full story:
    'Shopping at Tesco this month? Your bill may be rounded up for charity'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Luke; 18-09-2017 at 4:36 PM.

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 1
    • jon81uk
    • By jon81uk 8th Sep 17, 1:53 PM
    • 758 Posts
    • 481 Thanks
    jon81uk
    • 8th Sep 17, 1:53 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 1:53 PM
    The self checkout clearly asked if I wanted to round my total up.
    • Caddyman
    • By Caddyman 8th Sep 17, 2:59 PM
    • 203 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    Caddyman
    • 8th Sep 17, 2:59 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 2:59 PM
    Not had this issue with Tesco myself and I only visited my local Tesco Extra yesterday where I spent £26.44 on general guff. Looking at my receipt as I type, nothing on there anywhere indicating anything to do with charitable donations. I certainly wasn't 'Urged' by any Tesco staff to contribute anything, so this is all news to me.

On a similar theme, I have recently bought several items from Screwfix, selected and paid for online prior to collection from my local store. During the checkout process, there is a clear option to 'round up' to the nearest pound or whatever for donation to charity. I have quite gladly done so the last couple of times.
    • Ken68
    • By Ken68 8th Sep 17, 3:09 PM
    • 6,265 Posts
    • 3,969 Thanks
    Ken68
    • 8th Sep 17, 3:09 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 3:09 PM
    Tesco would do well to stop selling foodstuffs that lead to Diabetes and Heart trouble.
    • Gryphon005
    • By Gryphon005 8th Sep 17, 3:12 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    Gryphon005
    • 8th Sep 17, 3:12 PM
    Diabetes UK & British HF are really shills for Big Pharma
    • 8th Sep 17, 3:12 PM
    Whilst I admire the efforts of the Tesco staff members in their bid to raise money for what they believe are good causes, I question whether Diabetes UK and the BHF are appropriate choices.

Both charities are dominated by representation from the large pharmaceutical companies and their tame lapdogs from the medical establishment, both academic and practising.

The charities are used as a money-laundering operation to disguise funding for research that is sympathetic to Big Pharma's commercial aims, so that it's not explicit which company actually paid for the study.

Neither of these charities has the health of their individual (patient) members at heart (!), but their agenda is to keep the patients "ill but well enough to take ever increasing amounts of medication".

Sorry, Tesco staff, but you've been had, as have all those who have donated, for the greater good of the greedy pharmaceutical industry.
    • mjm3346
    • By mjm3346 8th Sep 17, 3:48 PM
    • 34,483 Posts
    • 222,187 Thanks
    mjm3346
    • 8th Sep 17, 3:48 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 3:48 PM
    They should concentrate on lowering prices and not trying to use customers money to fund their PR stunts.
    • Paul_Herring
    • By Paul_Herring 8th Sep 17, 5:43 PM
    • 6,154 Posts
    • 2,825 Thanks
    Paul_Herring
    • 8th Sep 17, 5:43 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 5:43 PM
    Tesco says you should take your receipt back to the store and they'll refund you.
    Presuming you have a receipt. The staff in my local Tesco ask you if you want a receipt.
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    o I am humble
    o You are attention seeking
    o She is Nadine Dorries
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 8th Sep 17, 8:19 PM
    • 7,138 Posts
    • 13,049 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    • 8th Sep 17, 8:19 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 8:19 PM
    Sainsburys has the option for customers to round up or donate a straight.£1, £5 for Comic/Sports Relief and Royal British Legion.
    The staff don't ask the customers.

I think Tesco staff have to ask
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 8th Sep 17, 8:28 PM
    • 59,946 Posts
    • 350,393 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 8th Sep 17, 8:28 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 8:28 PM
    I always say no to any such request.... I don't wish to be mugged by the middle classes so they can be seen to have made a large donation to a charity. I'd rather slide £5 in the collecting box of my choice, when I choose, than to round up 10p in an automated "lip service" charity giving promotional exercise by smug middlers.
    • boliston
    • By boliston 8th Sep 17, 8:37 PM
    • 2,385 Posts
    • 1,961 Thanks
    boliston
    I had a sneaky thing like this when paying for a meal by credit card today - it was only asking for a few pence but was sort of unexpected so i clicked "no" as I felt slightly annoyed to be "ambushed" in this way.
    • Contessa
    • By Contessa 8th Sep 17, 10:03 PM
    • 965 Posts
    • 1,376 Thanks
    Contessa
    This has happened to me the last two times I've shopped in Tesco. Both times at the scan as you shop checkout-and both times pointed out by the assistant.

The first cost me an extra 2p and the second 3p. In my experience this is entirely voluntary, and pointed out if there is an assistant there, and if not, then the transaction will not proceed until the customer has ticked the yes or no box.

I realise I'm fortunate enough not to miss a couple of pennies here and there, and that many people do indeed need every penny they have.

I believe someone working in a bank years ago stole thousands of pounds from customers by rounding up the debits (into his own account) by 1 or 2 pennies a time. I don't think Tesco are stealing from customers, although I do think that people are more likely to agree to donate the extra if it is pointed out by an assistant.
    • VoucherMan
    • By VoucherMan 9th Sep 17, 7:09 AM
    • 2,385 Posts
    • 4,874 Thanks
    VoucherMan
    I can find very little mention of this, other than a few news pages. I assume a big retailer like Tesco will be at least matching these charitable contributions.

Or was my first cynical assumption that they get other people to donate, then try and take the credit themselves, correct?
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 9th Sep 17, 8:19 AM
    • 17,632 Posts
    • 44,900 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I always say no to any such request.... I don't wish to be mugged by the middle classes so they can be seen to have made a large donation to a charity. I'd rather slide £5 in the collecting box of my choice, when I choose, than to round up 10p in an automated "lip service" charity giving promotional exercise by smug middlers.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    This ^^^^ 100%.

I give to a few charities for personal reasons.
    These 2 are not on my list.
    If I'm paying for my shopping, I want to pay for what I've bought and not be bothered by someone (or a self service till) asking me questions.
    • Paul_Herring
    • By Paul_Herring 9th Sep 17, 10:02 AM
    • 6,154 Posts
    • 2,825 Thanks
    Paul_Herring
    I believe someone working in a bank years ago stole thousands of pounds from customers by rounding up the debits (into his own account) by 1 or 2 pennies a time.
    Originally posted by Contessa
    Gus Gorman. And it was back in 1983.
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    o I am humble
    o You are attention seeking
    o She is Nadine Dorries
    • blackandwhitebunny
    • By blackandwhitebunny 9th Sep 17, 11:50 AM
    • 484 Posts
    • 4,132 Thanks
    blackandwhitebunny
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    I completely agree with this and also think that TESCO is pressurizing people, some of whom may be on a very limited income to donate to charities without realising that some of their money will go towards supporting very large salaries. The BHF pays two people above £170 000pa and 50 people above £60 000pa. If they can pay that they don't need my pennies.
    I was off to conquer the world but I got distracted by something sparkly

• richardw
    • By richardw 9th Sep 17, 1:32 PM
    • 18,100 Posts
    • 7,429 Thanks
    richardw
    Shop at Aldi or Lidl, give half the saving to your favourite charity and the other half to you. It's a lose-lose for Tesco.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • mjm3346
    • By mjm3346 9th Sep 17, 1:36 PM
    • 34,483 Posts
    • 222,187 Thanks
    mjm3346
    I can find very little mention of this, other than a few news pages. I assume a big retailer like Tesco will be at least matching these charitable contributions.

Or was my first cynical assumption that they get other people to donate, then try and take the credit themselves, correct?
    Originally posted by VoucherMan
    I really hope not as that just means a customer who donates is paying twice and even those who don't donate directly are still paying as the customer is where "Tesco money" comes from so the customer is paying for it anyway.
    • sheils6
    • By sheils6 9th Sep 17, 2:49 PM
    • 15,020 Posts
    • 104,045 Thanks
    sheils6
    Hadn't heard about this. Just checked my bill and Tesco rounded my bill up without asking! Only 7p but annoyed I wasn't asked.
    Sept Wins : - A "Yougurt" £1 GfK Media x2 £96 Quidco
    • robin58
    • By robin58 9th Sep 17, 3:06 PM
    • 1,791 Posts
    • 1,828 Thanks
    robin58
    Sounds like some staff can't be bothered to ask. They are just thinking to themselves, either by the look 'thier rich enough to afford it' or the person won't complain over a few pennies.

As for Tesco say's you can get a refund in store, who is going to go up to customer services and ask for a few pennies refund, with everybody looking at them.

Also by some of the comments on here, it seems that Tesco aren't promoting the 'round your bill up' very well but leaving it up to the cashiers to promote and possibly get the abuse for it.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!!
    • mjm3346
    • By mjm3346 9th Sep 17, 5:18 PM
    • 34,483 Posts
    • 222,187 Thanks
    mjm3346
    Anyone overcharged (which is what it is) could report it to trading standards, enough complaints and I suspect they would at least "have a word".
    Tesco should be required to get customers who are happy to be robbed in this way to initial the receipt so there can be no question about it and only allow the customer to instigate the transaction in the first place not allow it to be the cashiers suggestion.

Also "Giving" this way, like collection tins, is one of the least efficient ways to donate.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

154Posts Today

1,419Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin