Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dalehitchy
    • By dalehitchy 8th Sep 17, 1:11 PM
    • 52Posts
    • 38Thanks
    dalehitchy
    Repainting doors?
    • 8th Sep 17, 1:11 PM
    Repainting doors? 8th Sep 17 at 1:11 PM
    So all the doors in the house I just bought are yellowing and or don't look up to scratch. Some of them have small holes (they seem to have put hooks on just about every wall and door at one point.

I'd contrnplate buying new doors but that's a lot of money and all of them are different sizes which is extra work. How do I go about repainting them? They have a gloss finishing. Do I need to sand over once, use polyfiller for any holes and remaint. Do I need to take off all the old paint?
Page 1
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 8th Sep 17, 1:35 PM
    • 1,515 Posts
    • 1,811 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    • 8th Sep 17, 1:35 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 1:35 PM
    If the paint is sound, just fill in the holes and give the whole lot a rub down.

Use a quality undercoat and top coat (gloss or satin, your choice).

I favour Johnstone's trade paint.
    • Grenage
    • By Grenage 8th Sep 17, 1:36 PM
    • 1,204 Posts
    • 1,121 Thanks
    Grenage
    • 8th Sep 17, 1:36 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 1:36 PM
    Give the doors a light sand and fill, then use a foam roller with satinwood or gloss. It's easier if you remove the doors, but certainly not necessary.
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 8th Sep 17, 2:00 PM
    • 1,515 Posts
    • 1,811 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    • 8th Sep 17, 2:00 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 2:00 PM
    A roller is fine if the doors are flat/smooth, but a brush is better for panelled doors.

I've never removed doors to paint them - just ensure that the floor is well protected.

And.... if your doors are yellow, your architraving and skirting boards will be as well..... and once you've done all that, you'll realise that your ceilings are looking a bit dingy, and that your walls could do with a freshen up........
    Last edited by Silvertabby; 08-09-2017 at 2:12 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

117Posts Today

1,173Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin