Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Hurley
    • By Hurley 8th Sep 17, 12:37 PM
    • 1,379Posts
    • 414Thanks
    Hurley
    Keeping your existing number.
    • 8th Sep 17, 12:37 PM
    Keeping your existing number. 8th Sep 17 at 12:37 PM
    Hi all.

I currently have my home phone and BB with Virgin media. I'm in the last thirty days of my contract and am thinking of moving to a new provider.

I've not decided on a new provider yet, so just want to know how long do I have to decide before I lose my number?

My contract expires October 7th, if I signed up to say Plusnet on the last day of September, would that be too late to keep my existing number?

I just want to know how long I can spend waiting on offers from other providers before I have to sign up to one.

Thanks for any help.
Page 1
    • Alter ego
    • By Alter ego 8th Sep 17, 12:39 PM
    • 2,156 Posts
    • 2,058 Thanks
    Alter ego
    • 8th Sep 17, 12:39 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 12:39 PM
    Your service from present provider should continue till you cancel. Phone contracts are usually a minimum period.
    Ignore me if you like, it's not the real me anyway.
    • Hurley
    • By Hurley 8th Sep 17, 12:42 PM
    • 1,379 Posts
    • 414 Thanks
    Hurley
    • 8th Sep 17, 12:42 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 12:42 PM
    Your service from present provider should continue till you cancel. Phone contracts are usually a minimum period.
    Originally posted by Alter ego
    Thanks for the quick reply Alter ego.

Yeah my 12 months are up with Virgin on October 7th. What I want to know is if I don't sign up to another provider until October 6th for example, would I lose my number as it may take longer than a day for the new provider to port the number over?
    • littleboo
    • By littleboo 8th Sep 17, 12:45 PM
    • 539 Posts
    • 240 Thanks
    littleboo
    • 8th Sep 17, 12:45 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 12:45 PM
    Your service wont cease on the 7th October, all that happens is your minimum term ends and you will be on a rolling contract, probably 30 days. Any discounts you have had may also end
    • Alter ego
    • By Alter ego 8th Sep 17, 12:47 PM
    • 2,156 Posts
    • 2,058 Thanks
    Alter ego
    • 8th Sep 17, 12:47 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 12:47 PM
    No you should not, your service will not stop at end of contract. You just cannot cancel before Oct 7th. You can cancel anytime after.
    Ignore me if you like, it's not the real me anyway.
    • Hurley
    • By Hurley 8th Sep 17, 12:50 PM
    • 1,379 Posts
    • 414 Thanks
    Hurley
    • 8th Sep 17, 12:50 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 12:50 PM
    Sorry, I've not made myself clear.

I intend to cancel now, so my services end on October 7th.

I am hoping Virgin come back with a better deal, if not then I will go with another provider.

This is why I'm concerned with how much time I have to play with as I don't want to lose the family number.
    • lee111s
    • By lee111s 8th Sep 17, 2:04 PM
    • 2,858 Posts
    • 1,946 Thanks
    lee111s
    • 8th Sep 17, 2:04 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 2:04 PM
    If yoi want to keep the number then you need to place an order with the new provider first, advising them that you want the number and it's currently with Virgin.
    • Inner Zone
    • By Inner Zone 8th Sep 17, 2:20 PM
    • 1,859 Posts
    • 1,021 Thanks
    Inner Zone
    • 8th Sep 17, 2:20 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 2:20 PM
    All assuming Virgin will release the number. Think the OP needs to find out if it is possible.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 8th Sep 17, 2:28 PM
    • 1,262 Posts
    • 555 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 8th Sep 17, 2:28 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 2:28 PM
    All assuming Virgin will release the number. Think the OP needs to find out if it is possible.
    Originally posted by Inner Zone
    Is there any possibility that they wouldn't? Genuine question as I've never had Virgin.
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 8th Sep 17, 2:51 PM
    • 7,541 Posts
    • 8,008 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    If this is Virgin Cable then it's possible that it might not be technically possible to transfer the number into another provider.

All providers have to allow transfer out, but not all providers will allow transfer in.

Also, if transferring from Virgin Cable to an Openreach-based provider, you may have to wait for Openreach to install a new line to your house.

An alternative is to get your new Openreach-based broadband up and running on a new number, then port the old number to a Voice over IP provider so ending the Virgin service.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • Hurley
    • By Hurley 8th Sep 17, 3:13 PM
    • 1,379 Posts
    • 414 Thanks
    Hurley
    Well the number was originally from BT then I transferred it to Virgin.

I have a BT socket at my house.

I thought it would be as simple as asking my new provider to keep my existing number and activate my old BT line?
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 8th Sep 17, 4:03 PM
    • 2,433 Posts
    • 651 Thanks
    AndyPK
    alot of the providers websites said they can't transfer my virgin number, except talktalk.

However, TT are so incompetent that it wouldn't surprise me they said they couldn't at the last minute
    • Hurley
    • By Hurley 8th Sep 17, 4:14 PM
    • 1,379 Posts
    • 414 Thanks
    Hurley
    I just spoke to an adviser on their live chat and he said you can transfer it out it was transferred in from another provider. But not if it was originally a VM number.

So it looks like I'm OK, but he seemed unsure.

I just need to know how much time I've got, guess I'll have to ask each individual company.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 8th Sep 17, 4:40 PM
    • 9,837 Posts
    • 4,050 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    Hi all.

I currently have my home phone and BB with Virgin media. I'm in the last thirty days of my contract and am thinking of moving to a new provider.

I've not decided on a new provider yet, so just want to know how long do I have to decide before I lose my number?

My contract expires October 7th, if I signed up to say Plusnet on the last day of September, would that be too late to keep my existing number?

I just want to know how long I can spend waiting on offers from other providers before I have to sign up to one.

Thanks for any help.
    Originally posted by Hurley

Is VM not like all the other ISPs ?? Contract does not end but moves to a rolling 30 day contract ( possibly at full price )
    • iniltous
    • By iniltous 8th Sep 17, 4:57 PM
    • 1,394 Posts
    • 486 Thanks
    iniltous
    If you just 'quit' VM , giving notice to quit so that the service ends around the same time as your minimum term with VM ends, without first approaching another provider that will provider you a line and import the number, then the chances are VM will just cease your service, the number will revert to the number range holder (BT) and in effect be lost .
    Whatever new provider you chose , unless you specify on the application that you want to import the 'working' ( not a soon to be ceased number from VM ) you will probably just get any old number, you would then have a struggle to get the required number back.
    It's seems to me you are perhaps approaching this the wrong way, if you want to stay with VM but want a better deal, call them , as you are in the last month of your minimum term, say you want to stay but they need to offer a better deal.

If they don't offer a deal or the deal isn't good enough for you to stay, say 'OK' don't accept anything and say you will be looking else where, but don't say ' cease my line'
    Then pick a new provider , ensure they accept that importing the number from VM is essential and start the ball rolling, that 'new' company asking for the number in effect serves VM with your notice to quit.
    It may not be possible to time the change of provider to be exactly on the day your minimum term expires with VM, if you go a couple of weeks past, all that will happen is you pay for those days at VM's 'list price'
    Last edited by iniltous; 08-09-2017 at 5:15 PM.
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 8th Sep 17, 5:30 PM
    • 2,433 Posts
    • 651 Thanks
    AndyPK
    I thought I read the VM number still needs to be active to port it.

i.e give vm the 4 weeks notice.
    sign up and arrange for install on week 3 to give a 1 week overlap just incase something goes wrong
    • phillw
    • By phillw 8th Sep 17, 6:40 PM
    • 912 Posts
    • 544 Thanks
    phillw
    Yeah the number needs to be active with VM to keep it. I didn't cancel until after my ADSL was live, so I paid for two providers for a month but I wanted to keep the number. Which was lucky I did, because a week later it still hadn't switched. I had to complain and then it took them another week.

The same problem happened when I switched to VM as when I left.
    • Hurley
    • By Hurley 8th Sep 17, 7:50 PM
    • 1,379 Posts
    • 414 Thanks
    Hurley
    If you just 'quit' VM , giving notice to quit so that the service ends around the same time as your minimum term with VM ends, without first approaching another provider that will provider you a line and import the number, then the chances are VM will just cease your service, the number will revert to the number range holder (BT) and in effect be lost .
    Whatever new provider you chose , unless you specify on the application that you want to import the 'working' ( not a soon to be ceased number from VM ) you will probably just get any old number, you would then have a struggle to get the required number back.
    It's seems to me you are perhaps approaching this the wrong way, if you want to stay with VM but want a better deal, call them , as you are in the last month of your minimum term, say you want to stay but they need to offer a better deal.

If they don't offer a deal or the deal isn't good enough for you to stay, say 'OK' don't accept anything and say you will be looking else where, but don't say ' cease my line'
    Then pick a new provider , ensure they accept that importing the number from VM is essential and start the ball rolling, that 'new' company asking for the number in effect serves VM with your notice to quit.
    It may not be possible to time the change of provider to be exactly on the day your minimum term expires with VM, if you go a couple of weeks past, all that will happen is you pay for those days at VM's 'list price'
    Originally posted by iniltous
    OK, this makes sense.

The reason I wanted to cancel is because Virgin's offers have been naff thus far. I thought if I cancel I may get a phone call or two offering something better.

I think it makes sense just to keep them on, sign up to another provider and do it that way like you say. It's too much hassle cancelling and trying to get a new provider in time as if there is an issue or a delay with the order then it's a ticking clock to the cancellation date and possibly losing the number.

Thanks for all the suggestions everybody.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

79Posts Today

2,578Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin