Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • NittyGritty
    • By NittyGritty 8th Sep 17, 11:55 AM
    • 887Posts
    • 273Thanks
    NittyGritty
    Yet Another Shocker from MSE collective
    • 8th Sep 17, 11:55 AM
    Yet Another Shocker from MSE collective 8th Sep 17 at 11:55 AM
    below says it all lol

how much did EDF pay you MSE to promote their shocking so called cheap collective??

think you should have a MAJOR rethink on how you promote them as clearly they are nowhere near as cheap as you make out,

i guess you put profits before savings for the people nowadays by looks of it

Page 1
    • Bigphil1474
    • By Bigphil1474 8th Sep 17, 12:09 PM
    • 694 Posts
    • 290 Thanks
    Bigphil1474
    • 8th Sep 17, 12:09 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 12:09 PM
    Not sure what your point is - your estimate is for you. If it isn't for you, go elsewhere.
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 8th Sep 17, 12:14 PM
    • 1,652 Posts
    • 1,076 Thanks
    Robin9
    • 8th Sep 17, 12:14 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 12:14 PM
    below says it all lol

how much did EDF pay you MSE to promote their shocking so called cheap collective??

think you should have a MAJOR rethink on how you promote them as clearly they are nowhere near as cheap as you make out,

i guess you put profits before savings for the people nowadays by looks of it

Originally posted by NittyGritty
    Have you put the same consumption figures into a comparison site ?

What estimates do they give ?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 8th Sep 17, 12:33 PM
    • 4,537 Posts
    • 27,330 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • 8th Sep 17, 12:33 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 12:33 PM
    Oh dear!!!!!
    Watching the trail
    of cheap supermarket bags filled with a lfe gone by
    • Bobblehat
    • By Bobblehat 8th Sep 17, 1:08 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    Bobblehat
    • 8th Sep 17, 1:08 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 1:08 PM
    You may or may not have missed my messages on another thread that pointed out that the new EDF collective fix was dearer than what EDF were offering a day or so before the collective fix was announced .... and that cheaper tariff wasn't even a collective fix - it was open to all. This lower EDF tariff disappeared when the collective fix was announced.

My observations were confirmed by other contributors to the thread who also made a note of their EDF projections a couple of days before the collective fix was announced. I think there is some explaining to do by both MSE and EDF.
    • NittyGritty
    • By NittyGritty 8th Sep 17, 1:13 PM
    • 887 Posts
    • 273 Thanks
    NittyGritty
    • 8th Sep 17, 1:13 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 1:13 PM
    "but did get a special cut-rate EDF deal for the first 25,000 switchers - which is the cheapest Big 6 tariff "

id hate to think the price if this was a CUT RATE deal lol

and its deff NOT the cheapest big 6 deal out there either
    • NittyGritty
    • By NittyGritty 8th Sep 17, 1:26 PM
    • 887 Posts
    • 273 Thanks
    NittyGritty
    • 8th Sep 17, 1:26 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 1:26 PM
    what makes it even more laughable is that SP comes in 3rd on the list Estimated new costs £1,181/yr

some way cheaper than EDF collective

what are MSE doing promoting way more expensive deals when they claim its the "cheapest big 6 on the market"

clearly false information, and yes I know MSE will come out and say its for the average user

but come on!! the MASSIVE price and huge unit rates says it all for this MSE EDF Shocking deal/NON deal
    • MSE Dan L
    • By MSE Dan L 9th Sep 17, 11:33 AM
    • 606 Posts
    • 371 Thanks
    MSE Dan L
    • 9th Sep 17, 11:33 AM
    • 9th Sep 17, 11:33 AM
    Hi all

Just stepping into this thread to hopefully provide a little context around the energy comparison results which are being discussed.

I'd like to clarify that the collective fix is definitely cheaper (on Ofgem's average usage figures and across all UK energy regions) than the EDF tariff it had available last week.

Last week the cheapest EDF deal was a tariff named Online Saver Sept18 which was priced at £972 on average (using Ofgem figures). The collective EDF tariff is £915 on average. However for your usage and region is sounds like the previous deal might have worked out cheaper for you.The decision to remove this tariff was taken alone by EDF, it isn't something we have any influence or advance notice on.

The current EDF collective is the cheapest tariff with a big 6 provider, again on average and across all regions. As of today, the next cheapest big 6 tariff is with Npower at an average price of £948 per year. However as we always suggest (and the only way to get this collective deal) is to run a full market comparison via Cheap Energy Club. We have highlighted that our figures are based on average usage in our emails and on the site.

Using the big name filter will allow you to see whether EDF is the best option for you, clearly there will be plenty of scenarios where this isn't the case.

As I've mentioned previously on collective posts, our main aim around our Big Switch Events is to help people switch and save money, whether that is by switching to a collective tariff or any other option available on our results.

I understand it can be disappointing if the collective doesn't offer the savings you might have hoped for, but I really can't agree that the information we've shared on the site is inaccurate.
    Last edited by MSE Dan L; 09-09-2017 at 12:53 PM. Reason: formatting
    • nic_c
    • By nic_c 9th Sep 17, 7:23 PM
    • 908 Posts
    • 547 Thanks
    nic_c
    • 9th Sep 17, 7:23 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 7:23 PM
    The Online Saver tariff is still available, just not in CEC. You cangetb it either from the EDF site or the cashback sites. So if the online tariff was cheaper for anyone, its still available
    • philng
    • By philng 10th Sep 17, 9:34 AM
    • 517 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    philng
    If the other EDF tariff is still available BUT not showing on MSE that makes it even worse. Thought MSE prided itself on showing ALL tariffs?
    This could definitely be misleading.
    • Bobblehat
    • By Bobblehat 10th Sep 17, 10:56 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    Bobblehat
    Thanks nic_c & philng

Today, going through the EDF website, the online saver for me shows an increase of £24pm over the quote that EDF were showing on the MSE CEC list a few days before the collective fix was announced. That's £14pm more than the collective fix quotes (now and same as when it was 1st announced)!!

It seems like the EDF online tariff today is not the same as the EDF online tariff that disappeared earlier in the week. I made sure all KWh and other figures were the same. Yes, I know the results will vary on usage and region, but I am doing a comparison for myself and thought I'd share the results

I double-checked the CEC results today and the Collective fix is still showing £8pm more than the original EDF tariff and is (for me) 28th from cheapest. The EDF online tariff mentioned by nic_c DOES appear in the CEC list at number ... wait for it ..... 88th in the list.

Quite a way off EDF's original tariff from earlier in the week being about number 5 or 6 from the cheapest for me, and £24pm cheaper than now. Come on EDF ..... tell us what's going on!

And yes I still know the results will vary on usage and region.
    Last edited by Bobblehat; 10-09-2017 at 11:57 AM. Reason: omission
    • martinthebandit
    • By martinthebandit 10th Sep 17, 11:04 AM
    • 3,249 Posts
    • 5,498 Thanks
    martinthebandit
    Shock horror, who would have thought that the owners of MSE are in the business of making a profit.
    Politics -
    from the words Poli, meaning many
    and tics meaning blood sucking parasites

(thanks to Kinky Friedman (or Larry Hardman) for the quote}
    • MSE Dan L
    • By MSE Dan L 11th Sep 17, 9:01 AM
    • 606 Posts
    • 371 Thanks
    MSE Dan L
    If the other EDF tariff is still available BUT not showing on MSE that makes it even worse. Thought MSE prided itself on showing ALL tariffs?
    This could definitely be misleading.
    Originally posted by philng
    Hi Philng

Just to clarify, the new Online Saver Oct18 tariff from EDF does show on Cheap Energy Club. It is more expensive than the Online Saver Sep18 tariff which was originally mentioned in this thread. On average Online Saver Oct18 costs over £1,000 per year.

Hope that helps.
    • savetilibleed
    • By savetilibleed 12th Sep 17, 10:25 PM
    • 1,323 Posts
    • 319 Thanks
    savetilibleed
    I am with EDF on MSE collective switch (Simply Fixed Oct 17v2E7) ending in the next few weeks. If I were to chose the presently available collective switch (Simply Fixed Sept 18) would I still get cashback as I would be staying with EDF?
    • nic_c
    • By nic_c 12th Sep 17, 10:56 PM
    • 908 Posts
    • 547 Thanks
    nic_c
    Hi Philng

Just to clarify, the new Online Saver Oct18 tariff from EDF does show on Cheap Energy Club. It is more expensive than the Online Saver Sep18 tariff which was originally mentioned in this thread. On average Online Saver Oct18 costs over £1,000 per year.

Hope that helps.
    Originally posted by MSE Dan L
    Ah, so the conspiracy theorists just need to realise the old tariff had expired, rather than removed because of the MSE deal. I used to be with EDF and they have fixes only on offer for a limited time and will bring out new versioned (named differently by the month) that may have a higher price. Normal practice for them, so just coincidence that it expired when they were offering the MSE tariff
    • FullSwing
    • By FullSwing 13th Sep 17, 11:27 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    FullSwing
    I applied for the Cheap Energy EDF tariff and have just been informed they are putting me on a different tariff because I have a British Gas smart meter which I got because I was on the Cheap Energy British Gas tariff.

Is anybody else having this problem?
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 13th Sep 17, 12:48 PM
    • 4,202 Posts
    • 2,448 Thanks
    Hengus
    I applied for the Cheap Energy EDF tariff and have just been informed they are putting me on a different tariff because I have a British Gas smart meter which I got because I was on the Cheap Energy British Gas tariff.

Is anybody else having this problem?
    Originally posted by FullSwing
    Did you apply for an EDF smart meter tariff (if there is such a thing)? If so, it will not work as the present generation of smart meters are supplier dependent. EDF will treat your smart meter as a dumb meter which you and they will have to read manually.
    • redux
    • By redux 16th Sep 17, 10:49 AM
    • 17,118 Posts
    • 21,685 Thanks
    redux
    The current EDF collective is the cheapest tariff with a big 6 provider, again on average and across all regions.
    Originally posted by MSE Dan L
    It might be true on average across all regions, but I have never seen an MSE collective deal cheapest in my region, having looked at all versions except the first.

As I'm with one of the big 6 providers, and the various MSE deals have never beaten it, then you've never produced the cheapest big 6 provider here.

At the moment your not very exceptional deal is in 40th place here, which really should sound the death knell for the slogan cheaper than the cheapest.

When I've discussed this with MSE staff before, their first hedging comment is it's based on average use. Mine is close to average and I requoted at exactly your defined average. Indeed I checked all supply areas on one of these offers, and MSE's recommended deal was only worthwhile in one more than half of them. When I said this, the staff member here started slagging off my provider, which seems rather unprofessional to me.

Is there any chance that MSE will ever find a decent collective deal in supply areas where it hasn't yet done so?
    • Hoof Hearted
    • By Hoof Hearted 16th Sep 17, 11:09 AM
    • 1,985 Posts
    • 1,860 Thanks
    Hoof Hearted
    I use the MSE energy club but I think you have to plough your own furrow. It has never been cheapest for me and I am quite happy to use smaller suppliers where the deals are much better than the big six. What is the obsession with the big six, anyway? The actions taken after GB Energy's demise ease the worries about going with a smaller company. Currently, I am with Better Energy and Together Energy (gas/electric) and I am more than happy with both.
    Je suis sabot...
    • NittyGritty
    • By NittyGritty 17th Sep 17, 12:44 PM
    • 887 Posts
    • 273 Thanks
    NittyGritty
    i agree the last time an MSE collective WAS the cheapest was well over a year and a half ago

i think MSE is more for profit by taking companys money to promote EXPENSIVE tariffs as clearly the EDF is

its no longer out to save money for people of late

ive switched to Bulb who also gave me £50 credit just for signing up with them!

and yes its in the top 2 in my area, EDF so called collective ....well thats waaaaay down the list

surprised MSE dont promote these companys rather than rake in money by promoting rip off tariffs
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,899Posts Today

3,800Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin