Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • danez
    • By danez 8th Sep 17, 11:45 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    danez
    0 WOW
    Is there any chance of getting my money back from these tickets?
    • 8th Sep 17, 11:45 AM
    0 WOW
    Is there any chance of getting my money back from these tickets? 8th Sep 17 at 11:45 AM
    I booked plane tickets to go thailand in december but can no longer go due to personal reasons. They simply said to me that it's non refundable and that's the end of it, I'm now down £1k. I also asked could someone buy the tickets off me, and change the name on them to them? They said I couldn't do that either.
    So that's it for me then is it? Or is there any way I can recoup my losses.
    Thanks for rading.
Page 1
    • richardw
    • By richardw 8th Sep 17, 11:54 AM
    • 18,111 Posts
    • 7,438 Thanks
    richardw
    • 8th Sep 17, 11:54 AM
    • 8th Sep 17, 11:54 AM
    Why can't you go?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • dj1471
    • By dj1471 8th Sep 17, 12:28 PM
    • 831 Posts
    • 552 Thanks
    dj1471
    • 8th Sep 17, 12:28 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 12:28 PM
    Why and which airline? Travel insurance?

You should be able to claim back the Air Passenger Duty but ultimately non-refundable means just that, though there are sometimes allowances made for extenuating circumstances at the airline's descretion.
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 8th Sep 17, 2:06 PM
    • 2,679 Posts
    • 1,793 Thanks
    jpsartre
    • 8th Sep 17, 2:06 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 2:06 PM
    So that's it for me then is it? Or is there any way I can recoup my losses.
    Originally posted by danez
    Assuming you have no travel insurance that covers your situation, the only thing to hope for is a schedule change or cancellation to your booked flights that will allow you to cancel for a full refund. Of course, this assumes that you haven't cancelled your tickets already.
    • Heliflyguy
    • By Heliflyguy 8th Sep 17, 3:50 PM
    • 763 Posts
    • 360 Thanks
    Heliflyguy
    • 8th Sep 17, 3:50 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 3:50 PM
    Are you able to re-book for a later date, what would that cost?
    • danez
    • By danez 8th Sep 17, 6:18 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    danez
    • 8th Sep 17, 6:18 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 6:18 PM
    Why can't you go?
    Originally posted by richardw
    Change in circumstances where I booked to go with someone I am no longer seeing. I know this is not a valid reason for a refund unfortunately
    • danez
    • By danez 8th Sep 17, 6:20 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    danez
    • 8th Sep 17, 6:20 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 6:20 PM
    Why and which airline? Travel insurance?

You should be able to claim back the Air Passenger Duty but ultimately non-refundable means just that, though there are sometimes allowances made for extenuating circumstances at the airline's descretion.
    Originally posted by dj1471
    BA. Yeah they mentioned getting some tax refund but its only around £160 i think but that's all that was offered.
    Assuming you have no travel insurance that covers your situation, the only thing to hope for is a schedule change or cancellation to your booked flights that will allow you to cancel for a full refund. Of course, this assumes that you haven't cancelled your tickets already.
    Originally posted by jpsartre
    Yeah that's a good point. I have'nt cancelled them yet. I got insurance through BA themselves.
    Are you able to re-book for a later date, what would that cost?
    Originally posted by Heliflyguy
    Yeah I can actually that was an option. Although I'm not too keen on going by myself!
    • richardw
    • By richardw 8th Sep 17, 7:37 PM
    • 18,111 Posts
    • 7,438 Thanks
    richardw
    • 8th Sep 17, 7:37 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 7:37 PM
    Hi Danez, Welcome to MSE and many thanks for the further information.

Thailand is great for all kinds of holiday, many of the regulars on this forum have visited and could offer tips if you decide to go on your own as planned or at a later date. Please do ask if you want further advice. It's likely you would meet other tourists and still have an enjoyable trip.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • alwaysskint96
    • By alwaysskint96 8th Sep 17, 9:05 PM
    • 869 Posts
    • 571 Thanks
    alwaysskint96
    • 8th Sep 17, 9:05 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 9:05 PM
    Id go alone Thailand is probably the easiest country in the world for swolo travellers
    • mattyprice4004
    • By mattyprice4004 10th Sep 17, 5:08 PM
    • 3,475 Posts
    • 2,877 Thanks
    mattyprice4004
    You're not down 1k though, you have the tickets you booked and paid for.

It's not their fault you can't go, all they're obliged to refund is the APD which they've offered.

Just gotta suck it up, and next time weigh up the cost of relevant insurance against the risks.
    • Ballard
    • By Ballard 10th Sep 17, 5:53 PM
    • 1,578 Posts
    • 1,341 Thanks
    Ballard
    Just gotta suck it up, and next time weigh up the cost of relevant insurance against the risks.
    Originally posted by mattyprice4004
    Although I agree that taking insurance is a must as soon as the holiday is booked it wouldn't have mattered in this case as they've just decided not to go.

I would suggest that going on the holiday alone is pretty easy and that you should seriously consider it. Alternatively, if you've got a friend who could join you then perhaps they can pay to get the name changed and join you. It will still have cost you but at least you'd still get a holiday.
    I got a letter from the government the other day. I opened it and read it. It said they were suckers.
    • boliston
    • By boliston 10th Sep 17, 6:15 PM
    • 2,385 Posts
    • 1,961 Thanks
    boliston
    I would still go, just without the other person - there is no way i would waste a trip of a lifetime. If I go on holiday with my partner we spend a lot of time apart when we get there as I often like to see and do totally different things.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,707Posts Today

8,669Users online

Martin's Twitter