Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jovi79
    • By Jovi79 8th Sep 17, 11:31 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Jovi79
    PPI Advice and Help
    • 8th Sep 17, 11:31 AM
    PPI Advice and Help 8th Sep 17 at 11:31 AM
    Hi - New to the forum, but needing some advice with 3 PPI Claims

1. Amazon Credit Card - I had a credit card, taking out through Amazon, I have no idea if I had PPI on this, I have no paperwork for it, do I contact Amazon to check?
    2. New Look Store Card - I had a New Look Store Card from 1998 - 2004, I've had Santander contact me and offer me £6.00 (six pounds) in PPI Compensation - for the use of the card in 2004 - as I stopped actually using the card in December 2003, and paid it off in 2004, they've stated they have no records prior to this, unfortunately neither do I, so can not prove is was used regular before then, but the £6 seems a bit of an insult to me - Is there anything else I can do?
    3. MBNA - I know I had an MBNA Credit card in the late 90's early 00's, but have no record of the account etc, but when I contacted them, they just stated I didn't have PPI, they didn't give me any of the account details, where do I go from here?
    I will say I successfully claimed for a flexi loan I had with HSBC, receiving just over £1000

Thanks in advance for any help
Page 1
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 8th Sep 17, 11:38 AM
    • 19,293 Posts
    • 9,398 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 8th Sep 17, 11:38 AM
    • 8th Sep 17, 11:38 AM
    You can ask Amazon if you had PPI on their card, but your other finance appears to have been too long ago for you to do anything about without comprehensive documentary evidence from your own archive.

Sorry.
    • Jovi79
    • By Jovi79 8th Sep 17, 11:49 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jovi79
    • 8th Sep 17, 11:49 AM
    • 8th Sep 17, 11:49 AM
    I thought there was no time limit on how far back the claims can go?
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 8th Sep 17, 11:50 AM
    • 19,293 Posts
    • 9,398 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 8th Sep 17, 11:50 AM
    • 8th Sep 17, 11:50 AM
    Originally posted by Jovi79
    There isn't, but if neither you nor the Banks have any records then the complaint is dead before it begins.

Again, sorry.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 8th Sep 17, 12:28 PM
    • 89,502 Posts
    • 54,963 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 8th Sep 17, 12:28 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 12:28 PM
    There is not time limit. However, that does not mean companies retain data that far back. The FCA position was to suggest a retention period of 6 years data but companies were allowed to vary that. Since the PPI issue, companies have been told to retain old data where there could be PPI.

Data also does not get destroyed all in one go. For example, a company may decide to retain 6 years rolling transactions but all records on point of sale on an open account. However, once the account is closed, they may decide to destroy all data other than the fact you had a card 6 years after the closure date.

So, yes, there is no time limit but that does not mean records will exist on old stuff.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
    • -taff
    • By -taff 8th Sep 17, 5:20 PM
    • 7,344 Posts
    • 4,766 Thanks
    -taff
    • 8th Sep 17, 5:20 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 5:20 PM
    1. New Look Store Card - I had a New Look Store Card from 1998 - 2004, I've had Santander contact me and offer me £6.00 (six pounds) in PPI Compensation - for the use of the card in 2004 - as I stopped actually using the card in December 2003, and paid it off in 2004, they've stated they have no records prior to this, unfortunately neither do I, so can not prove is was used regular before then, but the £6 seems a bit of an insult to me - Is there anything else I can do?
    No

1. MBNA - I know I had an MBNA Credit card in the late 90's early 00's, but have no record of the account etc, but when I contacted them, they just stated I didn't have PPI, they didn't give me any of the account details, where do I go from here?

Send them a SAR and £10 if you don't believe them
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

760Posts Today

6,067Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin