Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • LeonRefresh
    • By LeonRefresh 8th Sep 17, 11:16 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    LeonRefresh
    Second Home Land Tax/Gifting property to relative (Scotland)
    • 8th Sep 17, 11:16 AM
    Second Home Land Tax/Gifting property to relative (Scotland) 8th Sep 17 at 11:16 AM
    Hi,

I'm hoping for some advice around 2nd home stamp duty/Land tax (Scotland Freehold).

At the moment I own a flat outright mortgage free 60k approx value. I intend on buying a new main residence at a value of 190k.

I would stand to have to pay substantial 2nd home land tax on the new property (£6k almost) unless I dispose of my original main residence.

My question is - I really want to keep the flat in the family and was intending on gifting it to my mum who already has a rental portfolio of 3 houses, this will be added to bolster her retirement income. As this will be a gift I will not be receiving any funds in exchange for the flat (simply amending the title deeds/landregistry and handing them over) will there be any Land Tax payable by my mum? I presume not as this is based upon the purchase price? I will be staying in the flat rent free until I move to my new main residence. I would retain it in my name and let her manage it and keep the income if it wasn't for the Land Tax!!

I will have no financial interest in the flat any more so presume no implications for me in terms of second home land tax when I exchange on my new property? Also presume that no capital gains would be due as no profit turned/Flat was main residence?

Hope there is relevant information here for anyone to tell me if there is anything glaring here that could land me in trouble - intentions aren't underhand but I can see it might look like some sort of avoidance if it was looked at through a cynical eye!!

(New thread posted as exxisting land registry thread is Wales/England only).

Thanks in advance.
Page 1
    • Keep pedalling
    • By Keep pedalling 8th Sep 17, 11:29 AM
    • 3,559 Posts
    • 3,831 Thanks
    Keep pedalling
    • 8th Sep 17, 11:29 AM
    • 8th Sep 17, 11:29 AM
    Two potencial issues with this, the first is that addining more to your mother's estate could make it subject to 40% IHT. The second is that you mother may end up leaving it to a toy boy, or the local cats home.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,070Posts Today

4,551Users online

Martin's Twitter