Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Anna_Tina
    • By Anna_Tina 8th Sep 17, 11:04 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Anna_Tina
    Incident in the ferry boat. Need help
    • 8th Sep 17, 11:04 AM
    Incident in the ferry boat. Need help 8th Sep 17 at 11:04 AM
    Hello,

I hope I am posting this thread in the right place.
    Nearly 2 months ago I travelled to Europe by car and had to use the ferry boat to Calais.
    When we reached France and had to disembark, we were told to wait before getting in our car. Then the platform of the boat where the first few cars were lowered down. My car was at the edge of the platform and it kind of push my car at the front which ended up scratching the car at the front. They put a piece of wood in front of my tyre to stop it from sliding down but from what I saw they wrongly placed it which resulted to this incident.
    A supervisor came and was trying to blame me for not putting my handbrake or that there was something with it, which wasn't true at all as I had a full car service before leaving the UK. After arguing for another half hour or so, I was told to leave and that the supervisor would be dealing with the other driver who said the car belonged to his company and he had to report the incident. So I thought we came to an agreement that I wasn't to be blamed for this incident in any way and that the ferry boat is taking liability. I also did not take any details of the other driver or pictures of the incident.
    Yesterday my car insurance company sent me an email and told me that an accident claim was filed against me by the other driver.
    I am very confused and upset as all of this wasn't my fault. I was not in the car at that time. I wasnt informed that the platform will lower down with all cars on it. They failed to secure my car properly with that piece of wood so how can I be blamed.
    I already filed sent all documents required to my car insurance including the accident report form. Even I need to pay anything to the third party, I decided I won't and will go to court if I need to.
    Any advice or help will be very much appreciated. Thank you
Page 1
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 8th Sep 17, 11:16 AM
    • 33,248 Posts
    • 17,191 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 8th Sep 17, 11:16 AM
    • 8th Sep 17, 11:16 AM
    You won't have to pay anything directly to the third party.

Your insurer will deal with any payments to the third party.

If your insurer accepts liability then this will be a fault claim meaning loss of some NCD if unprotected and none awarded for the current policy year.

So future premiums will be affected and you must disclose this incident to any new insurer you go to for quotes
    • bugslet
    • By bugslet 8th Sep 17, 11:20 AM
    • 5,686 Posts
    • 27,934 Thanks
    bugslet
    • 8th Sep 17, 11:20 AM
    • 8th Sep 17, 11:20 AM
    Was the wood placed in front of the car before departure or after they noticed it had moved forward?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,737Posts Today

9,187Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @GabbyLogan: @MartinSLewis you are just brilliant. Love the format, great pairing with Angelica ????

• Hi folks. Thanks for watching.am shattered. Hope you enjoyed the show. Must admit can't remember any of it right no? https://t.co/zPn8xwVKqv

• Anthony here (Martin's tweet-double), signing off now. The next voice you hear will be Martin's. Thanks all and goodnight. #MartinLewis

• Follow Martin