Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ShaneJMullan
    • By ShaneJMullan 8th Sep 17, 11:01 AM
    • 5Posts
    • 6Thanks
    ShaneJMullan
    deletedeletedeletedeletedeletedeletedeletedeletede letedeletedelete
    • 8th Sep 17, 11:01 AM
    deletedeletedeletedeletedeletedeletedeletedeletede letedeletedelete 8th Sep 17 at 11:01 AM
    deletedeletedeletedeletedeletedeletedeletedeletede letedeletedeletedeletedeletedeletedelete
    Last edited by ShaneJMullan; 20-09-2017 at 1:19 PM.
Page 2
    • tom9980
    • By tom9980 8th Sep 17, 3:39 PM
    • 1,228 Posts
    • 3,681 Thanks
    tom9980
    Thanks to, most of you, for your helpful responses and discussion. Some of the posters could have been less sarcastic and unwelcoming with their responses, but moving on...
    I did originally look up the manual online and i drained it with pots to catch the water, after unscrewing the skirting boards and turning it off at the fuse - this didn't work.
    The 'engineer' was supposed to come round on x date so I assumed the clothes would be fine anyway as he would fix it and get the door open. After waiting all day and chasing the letting agents, he didn't turn up (no suprise). He then came 2 days later and couldnt get the door open OR fix the error code to actually fix the machine. If the engineer couldn't do it then I'm at a loss to know how I'm supposed to magically understand how, just because I am an 'adult'. Come on..
    Originally posted by ShaneJMullan
    None of this was in your OP, it makes you look like yet another MSE troll.

Your option is to WRITE to your Landlord asking for the repair.
    “In order to change, we must be sick and tired of being sick and tired.”
    • LEJC
    • By LEJC 8th Sep 17, 3:44 PM
    • 9,015 Posts
    • 56,791 Thanks
    LEJC
    I genuinely don't want to come across as sarcastic or patronising but I wonder if this would have been dealt with differently if the OP was the homeowner rather than the tenant....
    at that point it's no one but yourself to blame and no letting agent or LL to fall back on.
    Just yourself to sort out....or would the blame be passed then to the engineer......

sometimes things break...it seems we live in a very blame culture these days of needing to find out from whom or if compensation can be claimed.....
    Last edited by LEJC; 08-09-2017 at 3:50 PM.
    frugal October...£45.59 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!
    Jan £41.60/£40
    Feb £54.58/£40...gave up this month 15/2
    Mar £37.02/£40...lots of help via a gift card and vouchers
    May
    2017 toiletries 131 out 101 in ...£14.92 spend
    • sleepymans
    • By sleepymans 8th Sep 17, 3:50 PM
    • 604 Posts
    • 891 Thanks
    sleepymans
    Seriously??? NO...SUCK IT UP!
    Goddess
    • freeisgood
    • By freeisgood 8th Sep 17, 4:30 PM
    • 480 Posts
    • 733 Thanks
    freeisgood
    OP I get your predicament, don't get some of the responses on this thread! We are talking about hundreds of pounds worth of clothing even if only 20 items at £20 each to replace. Why should the OP "suck it up" !

But could you claim ruined clothes on contents insurance?
    Last edited by freeisgood; 08-09-2017 at 4:33 PM.
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 8th Sep 17, 4:42 PM
    • 2,579 Posts
    • 2,522 Thanks
    cjdavies
    We have had to take time off work multiple times for an engineer to show up, who never does, and left multiple times for phone calls back which never happen.
    The 'engineer' was supposed to come round on x date so I assumed the clothes would be fine anyway as he would fix it and get the door open. After waiting all day and chasing the letting agents, he didn't turn up (no suprise). He then came 2 days later and couldnt get the door open OR fix the error code to actually fix the machine. .
    The above should have been been in the opening post, as they don't match each other.
    • ShaneJMullan
    • By ShaneJMullan 8th Sep 17, 6:22 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    ShaneJMullan
    To clarify.. we have been told 6 dates (for the hot water as well as the washing machine) where the guy didn't turn up. The 2 times he did turn up weren't even on the dates where we were told, he just turned up and we happened to be in. (Probably fixing various problems the other tenants are having in this building - from what I've heard there is a lot).. I don't see how it doesn't match up, I just kept it as short as I could to save everyone from reading an essay.
    At the end of the day, our rent isn't cheap on this place and as the white goods are integrated and included in our building, one would expect the service to work. Can anyone say they think it's fine to buy a service and not actually get the service??
    I've been called a MSE troll, and yet half the posters are trolling this thread.. seems I won't stick around these forums for very long. Is this poor culture normal on this forum?
    • k3lvc
    • By k3lvc 8th Sep 17, 6:49 PM
    • 1,831 Posts
    • 2,867 Thanks
    k3lvc
    At the end of the day, our rent isn't cheap on this place and as the white goods are integrated and included in our building, one would expect the service to work. Can anyone say they think it's fine to buy a service and not actually get the service??
    I've been called a MSE troll, and yet half the posters are trolling this thread.. seems I won't stick around these forums for very long. Is this poor culture normal on this forum?
    No-one's querying whether the service should work - they're querying your claim for compensation as you've decided it's someone elses responsibility to open the machine however long it takes. I'd bet that within 5 mins of you providing model details and a pic someone could tell you how to open it - sure there might be a mess for YOU to sort but sometimes that's life.

Responses to you are probably such as they are due to the inability of a new generation of snowflakes to sort out the simplest of problems and seek to blame someone else
    • freeisgood
    • By freeisgood 8th Sep 17, 6:52 PM
    • 480 Posts
    • 733 Thanks
    freeisgood
    Totally agree Shane.

But as it was an unpredictable occurrence such as a pipe leak ruining paintwork/furniture or an acid battery leaking ruining a carpet ( latter happened to us,) think its one for your household insurance here.

Also from experience renting...landlords do not tend to like their tenants tampering with white goods or other things in the house but prefer to get professionals in. I tend to leave well alone and get the landlord to deal with it. (what if OP did something to the machine while trying to get the door open and then ended up being accused of breaking the machine and then being asked to buy a new one? Not worth it )
    Last edited by freeisgood; 08-09-2017 at 6:58 PM.
    • ripplyuk
    • By ripplyuk 8th Sep 17, 6:55 PM
    • 1,613 Posts
    • 1,514 Thanks
    ripplyuk
    I think you've every right to be annoyed. A full wash load of clothes will cost a lot to replace. I'm assuming this is reasonably expensive stuff, not cheap tat/worn out. I'm also surprised at the amount of responses here advising you to DIY. As a tenant, I would not want to be unscrewing things/removing skirting/worktops etc, for fear of being accused of causing damage by the landlord or agent, and then billed for it.

The problem is that if you're going to claim off anyone, it has to be the Landlord, not the agent. Does the landlord know about what has happened? If not, I would definitely contact them. Or the agent will tell them a very different story! Possibly one that makes you look like a 'problem tenant'. Also, do you want to stay in this property after the fixed term? Some landlords will evict over the slightest hassle, usually encouraged by the agent who is thinking of the extra tenant finding fees.

It might be a lot less hassle to just buy more clothes or claim off your contents insurance.
    • Narkynewt
    • By Narkynewt 8th Sep 17, 7:18 PM
    • 101 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    Narkynewt
    Predictable isn't it.
    Originally posted by seashore22
    Judgemental much, you 2?
    • seashore22
    • By seashore22 8th Sep 17, 7:23 PM
    • 541 Posts
    • 1,057 Thanks
    seashore22
    Judgemental much, you 2?
    Originally posted by Narkynewt
    No, just world weary and I have to say that the op's subsequent posts haven't changed my mind.

I would also add that my post was at least offering some advice to the op (Google). Do you have anything that would help them with their problem?

Have you looked up anything useful on the internet yet op? Youtube would be a start.
    Last edited by seashore22; 08-09-2017 at 7:27 PM.
    • macman
    • By macman 8th Sep 17, 7:30 PM
    • 41,290 Posts
    • 16,954 Thanks
    macman
    Washing machines for domestic use have been cold fill only for about ten years now...
    Most modern machines have an emergency drain hose behind a small hatch on the front panel. Once you drain the water to a safe level, the door will unlock.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • tom9980
    • By tom9980 8th Sep 17, 7:32 PM
    • 1,228 Posts
    • 3,681 Thanks
    tom9980
    To clarify.. we have been told 6 dates (for the hot water as well as the washing machine) where the guy didn't turn up. The 2 times he did turn up weren't even on the dates where we were told, he just turned up and we happened to be in. (Probably fixing various problems the other tenants are having in this building - from what I've heard there is a lot).. I don't see how it doesn't match up, I just kept it as short as I could to save everyone from reading an essay.
    1. I don't understand why a washing machine engineer would be visiting all the other tenants too? sounds like a general maintenance man to me, really not sure why you are calling him an engineer.

2. Read what i wrote again. "None of this was in your OP, it makes you look like yet another MSE troll." so no i didnt call you a troll, it is however very common for the argumentative types who troll to drip feed information to those who give their time to give free advice and opinion.

So once again i urge you to WRITE to your landlord. I would also suggest telling us the make and model of the washing machine and the error code, someone will help.
    Last edited by tom9980; 08-09-2017 at 7:35 PM.
    “In order to change, we must be sick and tired of being sick and tired.”
    • elsien
    • By elsien 8th Sep 17, 7:37 PM
    • 15,061 Posts
    • 37,715 Thanks
    elsien

Responses to you are probably such as they are due to the inability of a new generation of snowflakes to sort out the simplest of problems and seek to blame someone else
    Originally posted by k3lvc
    And chucking insults around by calling new posters snowflakes isn't a great way to welcome people to the forums.
    The OP may have missed some relevant information from their first post, but given that a presumably qualified engineer has failed to get into the machine then a YouTube video isn't likely to be any more successful is it?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 8th Sep 17, 11:19 PM
    • 4,747 Posts
    • 6,676 Thanks
    deannatrois
    OP, as long as its been a week, it isn't too late to try and rescue the clothes. Google your machine, and 'won't open' .., just in case there are instructions on there that will help. You lose nothing by trying and could rescue your clothes. You might have had an engineer who didn't know what they were doing (it can happen).

As long as you don't have to take the back off or do something major, you will be ok. If the worst comes to the worst, tell us what the model is and we'll look it up and give you links (I will be happy to). I remember once having a machine that refused to wash, asked someone thinking it was a major repair, and was told to check a filter. At that time I didn't even know this could cause problems or where it was. But felt a bit of an idiot as it was actually a very easy thing to fix and now always put problems into google in case there's something I can do quite easily. More often than not there is or at least you will know what the problem is if you get an idiot engineer come round.

Then take your clothes round to a friend's or a launderette, wash them a couple of times with a good washing substance like Ariel that gets rid of stains and see what you can rescue. Its a lot less trouble than writing letters to the LL and waiting months for a helpful reply, if you ever get one.

You can also post the same thing herehttp://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39
    Last edited by deannatrois; 08-09-2017 at 11:22 PM.
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 9th Sep 17, 7:05 AM
    • 15,811 Posts
    • 39,523 Thanks
    FBaby
    So let's assume that indeed, there was no way you could have opened the door of the machine (which is clearly identified as included in the rental, with repairs the responsibility of the LL), evidenced by the fact that the engineer himself couldn't open it (odd, but never mind!).

A full wash load of clothes will cost a lot to replace.
    Now even assuming that somehow, you managed to get the LL to agree to compensate (because the rental agent certainly won't) rather than them telling you to use your household insurance, then good luck agreeing to the value of the damage!

The average load will have a couple of trousers/skirts, some shirts, maybe a jumper or two, nightwear and many socks and underwear. Most of these can be expected not to be new. So how are you going to work out what each items are worth taking into account W&T?

You would have to have a very naive LL to agree to give you anything more than £50. Is that value worth stressing him (from his perspective) and giving yourself a bad name so early in the rental period?
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 9th Sep 17, 8:56 AM
    • 29,787 Posts
    • 17,813 Thanks
    getmore4less
    What's the model No?
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 9th Sep 17, 9:14 AM
    • 3,767 Posts
    • 2,351 Thanks
    csgohan4
    Contents insurance will they cover stuff like this?
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land"
    • societys child
    • By societys child 9th Sep 17, 9:58 AM
    • 4,546 Posts
    • 4,845 Thanks
    societys child
    And chucking insults around by calling new posters snowflakes isn't a great way to welcome people to the forums.
    The OP may have missed some relevant information from their first post, but given that a presumably qualified engineer has failed to get into the machine then a YouTube video isn't likely to be any more successful is it?
    Originally posted by elsien
    Doesn't sound like the "engineer" was qualified at all, just some odd job man.

• G_M
    • By G_M 9th Sep 17, 10:40 AM
    • 41,077 Posts
    • 47,206 Thanks
    G_M
    So let's assume that indeed, there was no way you could have opened the door of the machine (which is clearly identified as included in the rental, with repairs the responsibility of the LL), evidenced by the fact that the engineer himself couldn't open it (odd, but never mind!).
    T
    Originally posted by FBaby
    As you rghtly say: "Let's assume...."

Just because a washing machine is provided by the landlord does not mean the landlord necessarily has to repair/maintain it. It's not included in his statutory repairing obligations (but might be covered by contractual obligations if the contract says so).

As for damage caused by the wm, that is slightly different, but would still be a veery uncertain legal claim.

Have you as yet reported the problem properly as advised? In writing to the LL at the correct address?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,330Posts Today

6,063Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin