Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ShaneJMullan
    • By ShaneJMullan 8th Sep 17, 11:01 AM
    • 5Posts
    • 6Thanks
    ShaneJMullan
    Can I invoice LL/agent for clothes stuck in washing machine?
    • 8th Sep 17, 11:01 AM
    Can I invoice LL/agent for clothes stuck in washing machine? 8th Sep 17 at 11:01 AM
    Hi Guys,

I'll try to keep it short. We moved into a newly built flat in August. For the first 2 weeks we were left without hot water due to an installation problem with the immersion boiler.

In this time we did not use the integrated washing machine (we assumed the washing machine needs to take hot water from the hot water tank).

So when we had the hot water fixed, we tried our first load of clothes in the washing machine, last Friday. 2 minutes into the cycle and the machine stopped, and showed with an error code - The error code is something to do with the chip not communicating with the motor.

This has left us with a washing machine full with 5/6kg of wet clothing. The door is jammed shut due to the error code. Realistically all the clothes inside are now going mouldy/growing mildew and won't be usable now. It has been a week (3 in total) now with our letting agent not seeming to care. We have had to take time off work multiple times for an engineer to show up, who never does, and left multiple times for phone calls back which never happen.

My partner and I are both working professionals and struggling to wash all our clothes in the tiny sink every day. And the clothes left in the washing machine are not cheap!

Can we reasonably expect to invoice our letting agents for the clothes that have been ruined by their inability to fix it?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. We have never experienced letting agents like this before..

Shane
Page 1
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 8th Sep 17, 11:11 AM
    • 4,642 Posts
    • 9,299 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 8th Sep 17, 11:11 AM
    • 8th Sep 17, 11:11 AM
    If you switched it off at the wall would the door not open (with a bucket ready?)
    Survey Earnings 2017 - £163
    • LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 8th Sep 17, 11:14 AM
    • 23,824 Posts
    • 50,460 Thanks
    LandyAndy
    • 8th Sep 17, 11:14 AM
    • 8th Sep 17, 11:14 AM
    If you switched it off at the wall would the door not open (with a bucket ready?)
    Originally posted by marliepanda

I think it should but the socket for an integrated machine may be a bit tricky to locate. Mine is right at the back of an adjacent cupboard.
    • comeandgo
    • By comeandgo 8th Sep 17, 11:15 AM
    • 1,790 Posts
    • 2,383 Thanks
    comeandgo
    • 8th Sep 17, 11:15 AM
    • 8th Sep 17, 11:15 AM
    You shut it off, get the drainage hose out of the back of the machine and put it low on the ground and drain water into a basin. When all the water is out the door will open.
    • rach_k
    • By rach_k 8th Sep 17, 11:21 AM
    • 1,005 Posts
    • 1,705 Thanks
    rach_k
    • 8th Sep 17, 11:21 AM
    • 8th Sep 17, 11:21 AM
    No, I don't think you can. I think an adult can be reasonably expected to switch the machine off, drain the water and then remove the clothes within a day or two. In fact, I would go as far as to say that if the machine has any issues due to the mould, you would now be responsible for fixing that.
    • PField
    • By PField 8th Sep 17, 11:38 AM
    • 77 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    PField
    • 8th Sep 17, 11:38 AM
    • 8th Sep 17, 11:38 AM
    A new build apartment means it must have complied with recent building control requirement so there must be an isolated switches for all build in appliances, normally on a seperate panel somewhere, if the main plug is behind the appliance.
    Otherwise the mains plug may be inside one of the cupards.
    • seashore22
    • By seashore22 8th Sep 17, 11:49 AM
    • 530 Posts
    • 1,033 Thanks
    seashore22
    • 8th Sep 17, 11:49 AM
    • 8th Sep 17, 11:49 AM
    I have to say that I'm struggling with the idea that two professional adults have been waiting a week for someone else to sort out their washing machine.

A few seconds doing a google search threw up numerous hacks on how to do this.

If in doubt google.

No one is responsible for the spoilt clothes, only you op.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 8th Sep 17, 12:00 PM
    • 41,046 Posts
    • 47,150 Thanks
    G_M
    • 8th Sep 17, 12:00 PM
    If (seems unlikely) the plug/isolator cann be found or reached, the main Consumer Unit will do the same job. Either trip the relevant fuse or switch the enire lot off for a couple of minutes,..........

A quick search of utube shows dozens of vids on opening the door.

I assume you've written a formal letter to the landlord at the proper address reporting the issue?

Is the washing machine covered by warranty? Contacted the manufacturer?
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 8th Sep 17, 12:00 PM
    • 2,739 Posts
    • 6,112 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    My partner and I are both working professionals and struggling to wash all our clothes in the tiny sink every day.
    Originally posted by ShaneJMullan

Arrange a service wash ?

Even if you haven't got a launderette nearby there are lots of companies that do it & some even collect / deliver
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - the Argos Card!
    • theartfullodger
    • By theartfullodger 8th Sep 17, 12:03 PM
    • 8,875 Posts
    • 11,728 Thanks
    theartfullodger
    Can I invoice LL/agent for clothes stuck in washing machine?.............
    Yeah, no trouble:

You can also invoice Mother Theresa for having terrible kitten heels and David Davis for not realising he has a "negotiation" to handle, not a "shouting match".

But I doubt any will pay up.

(Well, you did ask...)
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 8th Sep 17, 12:12 PM
    • 3,173 Posts
    • 6,577 Thanks
    Murphybear
    Do you have the instructions for the washing machine? Ours lets you manually release the door when stuck like this.
    • gingercordial
    • By gingercordial 8th Sep 17, 12:18 PM
    • 982 Posts
    • 940 Thanks
    gingercordial
    Do you have the instructions for the washing machine? Ours lets you manually release the door when stuck like this.
    Originally posted by Murphybear
    And a quick Google search for the model number will almost certainly find the instructions if they don't have a paper copy to hand.
    • ToasterScheme
    • By ToasterScheme 8th Sep 17, 12:20 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 65 Thanks
    ToasterScheme
    To be slightly fair to the OP, while it's easy to pull a non-integrated WM out in order to drop the outlet pipe to the ground and drain it - this may be harder to do with a built-in machine.

For example, it may involve removing a couple of screws which fix the machine to the underside of the worktop, and/or removing the kick board if it runs across the adjacent bays.

But you've still just got to get on and do it, I'm afraid.

[Or do these things have front-access drain points, e.g. next to the filter? I've never had a built-in WM, only a dishwasher]
    • Ronaldo Mconaldo
    • By Ronaldo Mconaldo 8th Sep 17, 12:30 PM
    • 4,930 Posts
    • 5,065 Thanks
    Ronaldo Mconaldo
    I just knew that it would be a new poster who posted this thread before I even opened it, just knew it.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 8th Sep 17, 12:46 PM
    • 5,770 Posts
    • 5,527 Thanks
    davidmcn
    For the first 2 weeks we were left without hot water due to an installation problem with the immersion boiler.

In this time we did not use the integrated washing machine (we assumed the washing machine needs to take hot water from the hot water tank).
    An odd assumption to make, as machines are invariably capable of heating the water themselves - if you had tried the machine earlier then either you'd have discovered the defect two weeks earlier or perhaps had two weeks of incident-free laundry.
    • seashore22
    • By seashore22 8th Sep 17, 12:49 PM
    • 530 Posts
    • 1,033 Thanks
    seashore22
    I just knew that it would be a new poster who posted this thread before I even opened it, just knew it.
    Originally posted by Ronaldo Mconaldo
    Predictable isn't it.
    • Jemima09
    • By Jemima09 8th Sep 17, 12:55 PM
    • 150 Posts
    • 112 Thanks
    Jemima09

[Or do these things have front-access drain points, e.g. next to the filter? I've never had a built-in WM, only a dishwasher]
    Originally posted by ToasterScheme
    both of my built in one have had drainage points on the front of them, although behind the kickboards, so you do have to pull them off (although kickboards are usually just attached with clips..)

admittedly, with my first machine that died, I didn't actually discover that it had a drainage point until after I had tediously drained the machine by cracking the door open and placing a baking tray underneath to catch the water.. then shutting the door again, emptying the tray and repeating.. for a long long time... still quicker than the week these guys have waited though
    Save
    Debt Free and Very Very Proud! - DMP mutual support member 315
    Debts at May 09 (LBM) £20,675 : Dec 13 £ZERO!!

My next challenge is to tackle the other pounds.. 70lb to lose
    Joined SW Jan 15 : 51 / 70 lost
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 8th Sep 17, 1:05 PM
    • 22,853 Posts
    • 13,207 Thanks
    xylophone
    You may not have been left with the manuals (which is annoying) but it is usually possible to google for them

I did this for a relative who moved into an almost new rented flat where no instructions were left for appliances/boiler etc and who needed to sort out the central heating controls.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 8th Sep 17, 1:34 PM
    • 18,405 Posts
    • 14,119 Thanks
    agrinnall
    An odd assumption to make, as machines are invariably capable of heating the water themselves - if you had tried the machine earlier then either you'd have discovered the defect two weeks earlier or perhaps had two weeks of incident-free laundry.
    Originally posted by davidmcn
    Agreed, I believe most washing machines sold these days only have a cold water feed so the lack of hot water wouldn't have been an issue.
    • ShaneJMullan
    • By ShaneJMullan 8th Sep 17, 3:18 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    ShaneJMullan
    Thanks to, most of you, for your helpful responses and discussion. Some of the posters could have been less sarcastic and unwelcoming with their responses, but moving on...
    I did originally look up the manual online and i drained it with pots to catch the water, after unscrewing the skirting boards and turning it off at the fuse - this didn't work.
    The 'engineer' was supposed to come round on x date so I assumed the clothes would be fine anyway as he would fix it and get the door open. After waiting all day and chasing the letting agents, he didn't turn up (no suprise). He then came 2 days later and couldnt get the door open OR fix the error code to actually fix the machine. If the engineer couldn't do it then I'm at a loss to know how I'm supposed to magically understand how, just because I am an 'adult'. Come on..
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,541Posts Today

9,534Users online

Martin's Twitter