Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • w00519772
    • By w00519772 8th Sep 17, 10:42 AM
    • 1,125Posts
    • 202Thanks
    w00519772
    Non ADSL Broadband
    • 8th Sep 17, 10:42 AM
    Non ADSL Broadband 8th Sep 17 at 10:42 AM
    My parents bought a new house on a new estate (in the middle of an existing estate) a few years ago. Broadband speeds are very poor using ADSL i.e. 1Mb per second. I believe they have two options:

1) Mobile broadband: What is the difference between mobile broadband (with a Dongle) and Hotspots. Are they the same i.e. the Dongle connects to the hotspot.

2) Is Mobile Broadband suitable for home broadband?

3) Do Sky offer an good Mobile Broadband/Satellite Broadband with TV deals. All the deals I see appear to be for ADSL.

4) Do they have any other options?
Page 1
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 8th Sep 17, 11:47 AM
    • 2,323 Posts
    • 618 Thanks
    AndyPK
    • 8th Sep 17, 11:47 AM
    • 8th Sep 17, 11:47 AM
    1) Mobile BB connects like a smart phone would to the 4G mobile masts
    Hotspots I believe are other peoples WiFi (usually company related)

2) Yes, but can be expensive if downloading films etc

4) Are you saying Fibre isn't available in your area?
    • lee111s
    • By lee111s 8th Sep 17, 11:51 AM
    • 2,839 Posts
    • 1,932 Thanks
    lee111s
    • 8th Sep 17, 11:51 AM
    • 8th Sep 17, 11:51 AM
    Use.this site https://www.dslchecker.bt.com

Use their Phone number if they're a BT customer. If they're with Sky or TalkTalk, use the address checker (simply input their postcode, click proceed and then select their address from the drop down).

Post up a copy of the results.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 8th Sep 17, 12:45 PM
    • 9,609 Posts
    • 3,925 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 8th Sep 17, 12:45 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 12:45 PM
    1) Mobile broadband: What is the difference between mobile broadband (with a Dongle)
    >>Adequate for very light use emails and web browsing .

and Hotspots. Are they the same i.e. the Dongle connects to the hotspot.

>>Hotspot is a WiFi connection that the public can use either free or paid for .

I would be working out why the ADSL is so slow.Other neighbors have the same problem ??
    Or could it be user equipment is at fault .
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 8th Sep 17, 3:59 PM
    • 2,323 Posts
    • 618 Thanks
    AndyPK
    • 8th Sep 17, 3:59 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 3:59 PM
    distance from exchange I guess.

Mine was 1Mbps.

when I go thru the order process some suppliers only guarantee a minimum of 0.9Mbps !
    • Marvqn1
    • By Marvqn1 8th Sep 17, 8:47 PM
    • 339 Posts
    • 214 Thanks
    Marvqn1
    • 8th Sep 17, 8:47 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 8:47 PM
    1. The difference between a dongle and a hotspot is that a dongle connects to a computer via USB, so you have internet access on one computer. With a MiFi device, it creates a WiFi hotspot, so you can connect multiple devices to the internet at the same time. If you want to use the internet on more than one device at the same time, a MiFi is the best option.

2. Yes, it's suitable for home broadband, depending on the signal in your area. Although, if your internet usage is intensive such as watching lots of HD video and downloading games then it will be expensive in comparison to landline broadband.

3. I don't think Sky offers either mobile broadband or Satellite broadband. There is Sky Mobile, but that is for phones.

There is a good site here that explains mobile broadband.

http://www.broadband.co.uk/mobile-broadband
    Last edited by Marvqn1; 08-09-2017 at 8:50 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,060Posts Today

6,526Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin