Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • CharlieChazz
    • By CharlieChazz 8th Sep 17, 10:28 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    CharlieChazz
    Showing Documents
    • 8th Sep 17, 10:28 AM
    Showing Documents 8th Sep 17 at 10:28 AM
    I was pulled over today for a routine check in my van and I didn't have my documentation with me (license and insurance) so I have to take them to a station to be checked. Was just wondering what the check is? Do they just look at the dates and make sure everything is as it should? Do they take copies of everything? Just don't get the point of the inconvenience of going to the station
Page 2
    • Nodding Donkey
    • By Nodding Donkey 8th Sep 17, 4:02 PM
    • 2,437 Posts
    • 2,055 Thanks
    Nodding Donkey
    If a producer was issued rather than checks being done on the computer then maybe there was an IT problem at the time.

Or you failed the attitude test.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 8th Sep 17, 4:13 PM
    • 3,206 Posts
    • 3,242 Thanks
    DoaM
    How about driving licences? If you don’t have yours with you, can the police access the DVLA’s database, pull out the photo on John Smith’s licence, verify it’s him, etc? Or are they not this technologically advanced?
    Originally posted by SouthLondonUser
    So how many John Smith licences should they be expected to look through before they find the right one? 10? 100? 1,000? 10,000? Are you thinking they'd take a photo of the driver and use a facial recognition algorithm?
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • SouthLondonUser
    • By SouthLondonUser 8th Sep 17, 4:40 PM
    • 331 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    SouthLondonUser
    How many motorists can there be with the same name, born on the same day in the same place, and resident at the same address??
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 8th Sep 17, 5:20 PM
    • 238 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    So how many John Smith licences should they be expected to look through before they find the right one? 10? 100? 1,000? 10,000? Are you thinking they'd take a photo of the driver and use a facial recognition algorithm?
    Originally posted by DoaM
    They don't look, the computer will find it.
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 8th Sep 17, 5:22 PM
    • 238 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    Yes, but as onomatopoeia99 has already pointed out there is a statutory defence if you produce them within seven days as specified in section 164(8) of the Road Traffic Act 1988.
    Originally posted by Car 54
    I've never said there wasn't but thanks anyway.
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 8th Sep 17, 11:39 PM
    • 2,587 Posts
    • 2,532 Thanks
    cjdavies
    Car is insured, doesn't mean I'm entitled to drive it though.
    • Alter ego
    • By Alter ego 9th Sep 17, 9:14 AM
    • 2,077 Posts
    • 1,987 Thanks
    Alter ego
    Indeed they do, one of the reasons is that you are driving a motor vehicle on a road.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/52/part/VII/crossheading/powers-of-constables-and-other-authorised-persons/enacted
    Originally posted by wgl2014
    Thanks, that is RTA 1988. Sadly I pre-date that.
    Ignore me if you like, it's not the real me anyway.
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 9th Sep 17, 9:43 AM
    • 2,237 Posts
    • 1,435 Thanks
    Car 54
    Thanks, that is RTA 1988. Sadly I pre-date that.
    Originally posted by Alter ego
    Do you also pre-date the Road Traffic Act 1930?

And haven't you read the Highway Code since 1988?

• Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 9th Sep 17, 9:44 AM
    • 1,373 Posts
    • 912 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    Yes, but as onomatopoeia99 has already pointed out there is a statutory defence if you produce them within seven days as specified in section 164(8) of the Road Traffic Act 1988.
    Originally posted by Car 54
    There being a statutory defence doesn't stop it being an offence, though, much like passing a traffic light at amber is an offence with a statutory defence if it was not safe to stop. In fact the fact there is a statutory defence rather defines the fact that it is an offence, otherwise, why would there be a statutory defence?
    • SouthLondonUser
    • By SouthLondonUser 9th Sep 17, 10:17 AM
    • 331 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    SouthLondonUser
    And what is the point of this pedantry?
    The fact remains you have a week to show your documents. I believe most people will be interested in this practical point.
    Then, by all means, let the pedants and the legal scholars obsessed over these other details with no practical impact...
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 9th Sep 17, 11:05 AM
    • 1,373 Posts
    • 912 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    And what is the point of this pedantry?
    The fact remains you have a week to show your documents. I believe most people will be interested in this practical point.
    Then, by all means, let the pedants and the legal scholars obsessed over these other details with no practical impact...
    There is a point as there is a time limit to the statutory defence. The offence is already complete. You only have a statutory defence for 7 days, and it only counts once you have complied within that time framework.

The law is full of pedantry and it's important to understand that to have any stab at a defence. Not just this offence, but others too.
    • SouthLondonUser
    • By SouthLondonUser 9th Sep 17, 11:42 AM
    • 331 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    SouthLondonUser
    How does your statement change any of what's been said?
    You have 7 days to show your documents. That's the key bit.
    • JP1978
    • By JP1978 9th Sep 17, 3:45 PM
    • 291 Posts
    • 220 Thanks
    JP1978
    I was pulled over today for a routine check in my van and I didn't have my documentation with me (license and insurance) so I have to take them to a station to be checked. Was just wondering what the check is? Do they just look at the dates and make sure everything is as it should? Do they take copies of everything? Just don't get the point of the inconvenience of going to the station
    Originally posted by CharlieChazz
    So it would be OK for everyone to drive with no licence and insurance and just say its not on them knowing that the police wont ask you to produce at a station?
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 9th Sep 17, 5:04 PM
    • 238 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    How does your statement change any of what's been said?
    You have 7 days to show your documents. That's the key bit.
    The key bit is you failed to produce on demand.
    • Muscle750
    • By Muscle750 9th Sep 17, 5:33 PM
    • 876 Posts
    • 267 Thanks
    Muscle750
    And when told "anything you do say may be used in evidence etc you must reply "Please dont slap me again officer"
    Seriously thou the plod should in this day and age be able to pull your photo etc off the dvla database. What would they do if you couldnt find it ?
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 9th Sep 17, 5:46 PM
    • 238 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    And when told "anything you do say may be used in evidence etc you must reply "Please dont slap me again officer"
    Seriously thou the plod should in this day and age be able to pull your photo etc off the dvla database. What would they do if you couldnt find it ?
    Originally posted by Muscle750
    Prosecute for failing to produce same as they've always done.
    • SouthLondonUser
    • By SouthLondonUser 9th Sep 17, 5:49 PM
    • 331 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    SouthLondonUser
    The key bit is you failed to produce on demand.
    Originally posted by Warwick Hunt
    ? So what? You still have 7 days to show it, as everyone has - correctly - been saying
    • mark5
    • By mark5 9th Sep 17, 9:05 PM
    • 1,186 Posts
    • 801 Thanks
    mark5
    Used to get them on a regular basis in my teens, it was usually straightforward but you could get the occasional jobsworth on the counter who would double check every thing.

Anything slightly dodgy and you always went in to produce outside office hours!
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 9th Sep 17, 9:32 PM
    • 238 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    ? So what? You still have 7 days to show it, as everyone has - correctly - been saying
    Not in all cases but I'm sure you're well aware of that.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,739Posts Today

8,746Users online

Martin's Twitter