Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • CharlieChazz
    • By CharlieChazz 8th Sep 17, 10:28 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    CharlieChazz
    Showing Documents
    • 8th Sep 17, 10:28 AM
    Showing Documents 8th Sep 17 at 10:28 AM
    I was pulled over today for a routine check in my van and I didn't have my documentation with me (license and insurance) so I have to take them to a station to be checked. Was just wondering what the check is? Do they just look at the dates and make sure everything is as it should? Do they take copies of everything? Just don't get the point of the inconvenience of going to the station
Page 1
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 8th Sep 17, 10:42 AM
    • 3,495 Posts
    • 3,553 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 8th Sep 17, 10:42 AM
    • 8th Sep 17, 10:42 AM
    Did you get paperwork from them to also show when you produce your docs? What does that say? To my knowledge they don't take copies of the licence and insurance docs ... merely review them and update their relevant paperwork.

The point is ... they're entitled to check that the van was legally on the road being driven by a licenced driver. If you'd had the docs with you then you wouldn't now have this inconvenience.

They should have been able to determine if the vehicle was insured at the roadside via a MID/PNC check.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 8th Sep 17, 10:54 AM
    • 2,437 Posts
    • 1,623 Thanks
    EssexExile
    • 8th Sep 17, 10:54 AM
    • 8th Sep 17, 10:54 AM
    I used to specify a different police station every time in my teenage years. I got to see a lot of Essex that way.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • HogMan
    • By HogMan 8th Sep 17, 11:33 AM
    • 80 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    HogMan
    • 8th Sep 17, 11:33 AM
    • 8th Sep 17, 11:33 AM
    I had an accident a few years ago and ended up having to take my insurance & MOT certificates down to the local police station.
    They just coped details by hand on to triplicate paper and then gave the cerificates and a copy of the paper back to me.
    Thought at the time seemed very old fashioned given that all the records are now centally available on various systems.
    • Mutton Geoff
    • By Mutton Geoff 8th Sep 17, 11:35 AM
    • 957 Posts
    • 1,002 Thanks
    Mutton Geoff
    • 8th Sep 17, 11:35 AM
    • 8th Sep 17, 11:35 AM
    In many countries, it would be illegal to be driving without important docs on you. Think ourselves lucky we still have "producers".
    Compensations/Refunds from Banks & Institutions - £4,165 | Stooz Profits - £7,636 | Quidco - £3,963

All with a big thank you to Martin and MSE.com from Mutton Geoff!
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 8th Sep 17, 12:06 PM
    • 10,233 Posts
    • 7,152 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 8th Sep 17, 12:06 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 12:06 PM
    I was pulled over today for a routine check in my van and I didn't have my documentation with me (license and insurance) so I have to take them to a station to be checked. Was just wondering what the check is? Do they just look at the dates and make sure everything is as it should? Do they take copies of everything? Just don't get the point of the inconvenience of going to the station
    Originally posted by CharlieChazz
    Isn't it obvious, they just want to make sure you are who you say you are and have all the documents you say you have, simple as that. Do you think they should just take your word for it!
    • Joe Horner
    • By Joe Horner 8th Sep 17, 12:27 PM
    • 4,142 Posts
    • 3,626 Thanks
    Joe Horner
    • 8th Sep 17, 12:27 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 12:27 PM
    Thought at the time seemed very old fashioned given that all the records are now centally available on various systems.
    Originally posted by HogMan
    The insurance & MOT will be available to them, and do will the licence details for the name you give. But without seeing your licence that name might be your mate who owns the car and has it insured for himself only.
    • HogMan
    • By HogMan 8th Sep 17, 12:44 PM
    • 80 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    HogMan
    • 8th Sep 17, 12:44 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 12:44 PM
    In my case I had my (photo) licence with me which the police checked at the scene. The producer was only for the MOT and insurance documents both of which are now held electronically. For someone to take 10 minutes writing down details from documents that they could easily scan seemed at little backward.
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 8th Sep 17, 2:05 PM
    • 603 Posts
    • 309 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    • 8th Sep 17, 2:05 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 2:05 PM
    In many countries, it would be illegal to be driving without important docs on you. Think ourselves lucky we still have "producers".
    Originally posted by Mutton Geoff
    It's illegal here too, he's comitted the offence of failing to produce the document on demand at the time of the stop.
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 8th Sep 17, 2:06 PM
    • 603 Posts
    • 309 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    Isn't it obvious, they just want to make sure you are who you say you are and have all the documents you say you have, simple as that. Do you think they should just take your word for it!
    Originally posted by neilmcl
    The time to establish that was at the time.
    • facade
    • By facade 8th Sep 17, 2:15 PM
    • 2,905 Posts
    • 1,483 Thanks
    facade
    What is this thing called a "Police Station" to which you refer?

I challenge you to find one that is open round here. (If you succeed in that task, then you can find a me a "Bank" as well)

We used to have loads, and loads of Policemen (and women too) , haven't seen a Policeman out and about for years.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 8th Sep 17, 2:17 PM
    • 603 Posts
    • 309 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    What is this thing called a "Police Station" to which you refer?

I challenge you to find one that is open round here. (If you succeed in that task, then you can find a me a "Bank" as well)

We used to have loads, and loads of Policemen (and women too) , haven't seen a Policeman out and about for years.
    Originally posted by facade
    Where's round here?
    • Alter ego
    • By Alter ego 8th Sep 17, 2:18 PM
    • 2,167 Posts
    • 2,081 Thanks
    Alter ego
    I was pulled over today for a routine check in my van
    Originally posted by CharlieChazz
    I thought police had to have a reason to pull you over? Not just routine.
    Ignore me if you like, it's not the real me anyway.
    • wgl2014
    • By wgl2014 8th Sep 17, 2:21 PM
    • 362 Posts
    • 206 Thanks
    wgl2014
    Originally posted by Alter ego
    Indeed they do, one of the reasons is that you are driving a motor vehicle on a road.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/52/part/VII/crossheading/powers-of-constables-and-other-authorised-persons/enacted
    Last edited by wgl2014; 08-09-2017 at 2:23 PM. Reason: Link added
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 8th Sep 17, 2:23 PM
    • 9,599 Posts
    • 10,759 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    Originally posted by Alter ego
    No.
    The police have the right to stop anyone driving a motor vehicle on a road in the UK and ask for proof of their name and address and MOT and insurance for the vehicle concerned.
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 8th Sep 17, 2:36 PM
    • 3,537 Posts
    • 7,761 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    It's illegal here too, he's comitted the offence of failing to produce the document on demand at the time of the stop.
    Originally posted by Warwick Hunt
    To which there is a statutory defence that they were produced at a nominated police station within seven days.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • HogMan
    • By HogMan 8th Sep 17, 2:36 PM
    • 80 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    HogMan
    It's illegal here too, he's comitted the offence of failing to produce the document on demand at the time of the stop
    That is not correct.
    In the UK can be asked to show your documents but if you do not have them you will be given a HORT1.
    The HORT1 document (aka 7 day producer) requires you to produce your documents within 7 days at a police station of your choice. Failure to produce after that time is an offence.
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 8th Sep 17, 2:43 PM
    • 603 Posts
    • 309 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    That is not correct.
    In the UK can be asked to show your documents but if you do not have them you will be given a HORT1.
    The HORT1 document (aka 7 day producer) requires you to produce your documents within 7 days at a police station of your choice. Failure to produce after that time is an offence.
    Originally posted by HogMan
    No, it's an offence to fail to produce them on demand.
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 8th Sep 17, 3:03 PM
    • 2,407 Posts
    • 1,566 Thanks
    Car 54
    No, it's an offence to fail to produce them on demand.
    Yes, but as onomatopoeia99 has already pointed out there is a statutory defence if you produce them within seven days as specified in section 164(8) of the Road Traffic Act 1988.
    • SouthLondonUser
    • By SouthLondonUser 8th Sep 17, 3:45 PM
    • 336 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    SouthLondonUser
    As others have said, can’t the police check insurance and MOT electronically? I have just done my MOT and the guy confirmed they send the details electronically; he couldn’t really say if they send it to the DVLA or the police, but they definitely send something electronically.

How about driving licences? If you don’t have yours with you, can the police access the DVLA’s database, pull out the photo on John Smith’s licence, verify it’s him, etc? Or are they not this technologically advanced?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,952Posts Today

7,833Users online

Martin's Twitter