Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ian_ian
    • By ian_ian 8th Sep 17, 10:24 AM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    ian_ian
    SCS Law letter
    • 8th Sep 17, 10:24 AM
    SCS Law letter 8th Sep 17 at 10:24 AM
    Hi there,

just wondering if I can get some advice on how best to respond to this letter.

The letter was sent to an address I'm no longer at, so just received it after having it forwarded to me.

Letter outlines the parking fines and requests payment to debtrecoveryplus. It also states it is a letter before claim for the purpose of the practice direction...

Background:

2 parking fines last year. I was a customer of the business car park I parked in. Parking company came along and signs went up and so did cameras. I was found to have parked over the allowed time (photo entering/leaving) twice before I got the first letter through and then stopped parking there. The signs and camera had been up for some time without any fines issued but they started all of a sudden.

I know I should have acted then, but it's too late. I ignored the fines as I felt they were not justified. No POPLA sent. The business that was operating there has changed so can't go back to them.

There was an option to enter your registration number at the business premises if staying longer than the allowed time. I did do this on a few occasions. I can't recall whether it just didn't work on those days. I made use of the business facilities the days I was there but parked longer than allowed.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Last edited by ian_ian; 08-09-2017 at 10:28 AM.
Page 1
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 8th Sep 17, 10:28 AM
    • 33,227 Posts
    • 17,175 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 8th Sep 17, 10:28 AM
    • 8th Sep 17, 10:28 AM
    Everyone is politely asked to read the newbies FAQ thread near the top of the forum before starting a new thread

Go there to see the stage you are now in.

(Debt collectors stage)

You ought to inform the PPC of your correct address otherwise should they continue to court action you may not know about it till too late and have a default ccj registered against you
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 8th Sep 17, 10:30 AM
    • 7,756 Posts
    • 7,847 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 8th Sep 17, 10:30 AM
    • 8th Sep 17, 10:30 AM
    This is all fully covered in the Newbies Sticky - which you should read fully before posting.

Pay particular attention to the LBCC/court posts - treat SCS as an LBCC. DRP however are fully covered by post four - which makes e think this is no more than another worthless debt-goon letter.

The business you visited may have gone but the Landowner may still be the same. It is a bit late in the day TBH but there is still the possibility of a landowner cancelation if you complain strongly enough.
    Last edited by pogofish; 08-09-2017 at 10:34 AM.
    • ian_ian
    • By ian_ian 8th Sep 17, 10:20 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ian_ian
    • 8th Sep 17, 10:20 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 10:20 PM
    Thanks for the replies.
    Having a read of the sticky thread now.

I won't be able to respond to this SCS law letter before the 14 day deadline is up. Main reason is they sent the letter to an old address. If I do write back explaining this, do you think I will have extra time to formulate a rebuttal?

Unfortunately, my understanding is that the parking area also belongs to the new business now.
    • ian_ian
    • By ian_ian 8th Sep 17, 10:27 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ian_ian
    • 8th Sep 17, 10:27 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 10:27 PM
    Also, just to confirm for my peace of mind - only the original issuing parking company can request a court hearing and not debt recovery plus or SCS on their own? That's my understanding of it.
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 8th Sep 17, 10:34 PM
    • 6,333 Posts
    • 8,144 Thanks
    beamerguy
    • 8th Sep 17, 10:34 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 10:34 PM
    Also, just to confirm for my peace of mind - only the original issuing parking company can request a court hearing and not debt recovery plus or SCS on their own? That's my understanding of it.
    Originally posted by ian_ian
    that is correct. The PPC will instruct SCS

DRP cannot instruct anyone as they are powerless
    RBS - MNBA - CAPITAL ONE - LLOYDS

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 8th Sep 17, 11:12 PM
    • 15,432 Posts
    • 24,135 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    • 8th Sep 17, 11:12 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 11:12 PM
    The letter was sent to an address I'm no longer at, so just received it after having it forwarded to me.
    Have you notified the DVLA of your change of address for both your driver's licence and your V5 (log book) - you have to do both separately (there's no internal communication about the change)? Otherwise you are potentially staring down the barrel of a maximum £1,000 real fine that is fully enforceable!
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • ian_ian
    • By ian_ian 8th Sep 17, 11:19 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ian_ian
    • 8th Sep 17, 11:19 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 11:19 PM
    Yep both documents would have been up to date when this last letter was sent.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,124Posts Today

4,823Users online

Martin's Twitter