Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kingfisherblue
    • By kingfisherblue 8th Sep 17, 10:07 AM
    • 7,348Posts
    • 15,765Thanks
    kingfisherblue
    Care work questions
    • 8th Sep 17, 10:07 AM
    Care work questions 8th Sep 17 at 10:07 AM
    Paid care workers - can you be required to work every day for seventeen days? I know that the employer has to give 24 hours of uninterrupted break in every seven days, or 48 hours uninterrupted break in every fourteen days. The situation is that some of the shifts are very short, so might finish at 11am one day, but the following day start at 11am - so technically there is a twenty four hour period in between, but not a full day off. (Hope that makes sense!)

My daughter is currently in this position with a new employer. She cannot plan anything as rotas come out daily (so today, she will receive the rota for next Saturday, tomorrow, she will receive the rota for Sunday 17th - they are sent out eight days ahead). There is then a requirement to take extra calls if staff are absent - which is fair enough, as clients still need care. Obviously sometimes this information is given on a daily basis. The rota can be spread through the day, with an odd half hour or an hour off - not usually enough time to pop home for a cuppa, never mind do anything else. She might work, for example, 7am-10.30, then 11am-11.30, 12.30-2pm, 2.45-5.15, 5.45-7.15. On other days, it might be 7am-9.30, 11-12, 1.30-3.30, 4-6.30. Each day is different - these are just examples. Occasionally, she will have two to four hours off during the day.

This is a 35 hour a week contract, not zero hours.

Also, am I correct in thinking that my daughter should be paid for travel time to her first client's home and from her final client's home, as she does not have a base for work on these days? This link suggests that she should be:

https://www.unison.org.uk/care-workers-your-rights/

Thanks for any help and clarification.
Page 1
    • ceegee
    • By ceegee 8th Sep 17, 6:10 PM
    • 792 Posts
    • 488 Thanks
    ceegee
    • 8th Sep 17, 6:10 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 6:10 PM
    I can only speak from personal experience of a particular care agency, but they are a law unto themselves. Despite being one of their most reliable carers eg doing my work well and being on-call from 6.30 am until 10.30 pm 7 days a week, having to sort out things which many shoddy colleagues hadn't done, not getting paid for travel time between clients and often there being not enough travel time between clients or a gap (unpaid) of up to an hour between clients..........the agency couldn't care less about their staff.

I hope your daughter does not work for this particular agency, but from what I know, most of them are on a par. It is a thankless, exhausting and grossly underpaid "job". My agency couldn't care less about it's carers. I think their attitude was that if you don't like it, well you can leave. Terrible.

I am sorry to have to give such a negative reply, but they really can do whatever they want, it seems.
    "Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow........"
    • lauradora
    • By lauradora 8th Sep 17, 6:50 PM
    • 1,295 Posts
    • 4,311 Thanks
    lauradora
    • 8th Sep 17, 6:50 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 6:50 PM
    Until recently I was a care manager.....

In short it sounds like this situation with the rotas has gone unchecked for a long time as the short answer is No.......

The manager needs to ensure that a rota is displayed in a reasonable time....

They will argue that a week is reasonable but I would not. CQC say that 4 weeks is a reasonable amount of time to let staff know what shifts they are expected to work.

Also yes the minimum is 2 hours and are companies...all not just one...will use this to their absolute advantage...I'm sorry but that's the care industry all over.

For what its worth home care are the worst of a horrible lot. If this is a career choice I would suggest maybe looking at alterative companies working in residential??

I hope I have been of some help....I'm sorry I cannot be a ray of sunshine for you

I want rid of my debt and my fat in 2015!
    DFW nerd no 844

• kingfisherblue
    • By kingfisherblue 8th Sep 17, 7:59 PM
    • 7,348 Posts
    • 15,765 Thanks
    kingfisherblue
    • 8th Sep 17, 7:59 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 7:59 PM
    Thank you both for your answers. Unfortunately we are aware that care work is one of the most difficult sectors to work in, and one of the least regulated. My daughter has tried working in a residential home, but hated it - she prefers working in the community.

Her first job (with an agency) was ok, and her second job in a retirement village was great - but no progression, hence why she left. She is now considering returning to the village, and putting any progression on hold until her daughter is a lot older.

It would still be interesting to know whether the 24 hours can be counted as described in my OP, or whether a full day off is the legal requirement. If anyone can point me in the right direction for further information, I would be interested (ACAS weren't any help - they kept saying that she should have 24 hours uninterrupted break a week, but couldn't tell me whether working every day, but with the hours I mentioned, was allowed).

On the positive side, she has applied for another job today with the local council.
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 8th Sep 17, 8:14 PM
    • 4,058 Posts
    • 6,566 Thanks
    sangie595
    • 8th Sep 17, 8:14 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 8:14 PM
    24 hours is a day. The law doesn't stipulate that a day must start at midnight and end the following one. Many people have "odd" patterns of work, and don't have normal days as your would count them.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 8th Sep 17, 8:23 PM
    • 15,300 Posts
    • 38,403 Thanks
    elsien
    • 8th Sep 17, 8:23 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 8:23 PM
    Having worked as a care manager, in your daughter's position I would be looking elsewhere if possible. It may be strictly within the letter of the law, but I do think not giving people days off so they can have a proper break is poor practice and not designed to keep staff in the long term. And although I know many people only get the rota at short notice, again, people deserve to have more notice so they can actually have a life.
    Has she discussed it with her manager? It may be a temporary staff shortage, in which case it may get better, or it may just be how they work. In which case they wouldn't see me for dust.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • kingfisherblue
    • By kingfisherblue 12th Sep 17, 2:11 PM
    • 7,348 Posts
    • 15,765 Thanks
    kingfisherblue
    • 12th Sep 17, 2:11 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 2:11 PM
    UPDATE:

I asked my daughter to check to see if she had had a twenty four hour break each week, but the longest time without a client was eighteen hours - finishing at 11am one day, and starting at 7am the next. She actually has a full 24 hour break this weekend - by which time she will have worked eighteen days without a single 24 hours uninterrupted break.

She has queried this with the office, but they didn't seem bothered. They suggested that she reduce her hours to part time, but within a couple of hours, had extended her next shift by more calls. One shift this week is fourteen hours.

She has handed in her notice, and has explained why. The manager has asked her to stay, but she has refused. She and her partner can afford for her to be off for a few weeks until she has another job - one is already in the pipeline, with fixed shifts.

Thanks to everyone who commented.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

868Posts Today

6,572Users online

Martin's Twitter