Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 8th Sep 17, 9:50 AM
    • 3,064Posts
    • 7,099Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    FTB - when to sign up for utilities
    • 8th Sep 17, 9:50 AM
    FTB - when to sign up for utilities 8th Sep 17 at 9:50 AM
    Posting on behalf of son - but only as I'm an mse and he's not (yet!)

He's just about to exchange for his first home, completing shortly afterwards, and is looking at energy/broadband suppliers etc but is undersure as to when he should sign up.

The house isn't on a water meter so that would just be a case of phone up the water company and setting up an account

I know when I've switched I've been given a date for switching in the future but as it's a long time since I moved homes I can't remember the procedure for moving.
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - JD Williams
Page 1
    • kinger101
    • By kinger101 8th Sep 17, 9:59 AM
    • 3,942 Posts
    • 5,392 Thanks
    kinger101
    • 8th Sep 17, 9:59 AM
    • 8th Sep 17, 9:59 AM
    Normally, you'd phone up on the day and takeover the accounts for that house with the existing supplier(s). These should be listed on the TA6. If you want someone other than the existing supplier, arrange it with that supplier afterwards. It usually takes a couple of weeks for the transfer, but new supplier would liaise with existing supplier.

Do nothing before completion.
    • gingercordial
    • By gingercordial 8th Sep 17, 10:10 AM
    • 1,030 Posts
    • 1,014 Thanks
    gingercordial
    • 8th Sep 17, 10:10 AM
    • 8th Sep 17, 10:10 AM
    The existing suppliers will offer him various tariffs to stay when he first calls up to give them his details. It's fine for him to say that he wants to look into the options. In that case he will go onto their standard variable tariff in the meantime, which is expensive but won't matter too much for a few weeks. He can then arrange to switch to whoever he wants to go with permanently, or if the existing supplier's offers are better he can just call again to move onto one of those.

How to find who is the existing supplier: https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/consumers/household-gas-and-electricity-guide/connections-and-moving-home/who-my-gas-or-electricity-supplier
    • gingercordial
    • By gingercordial 8th Sep 17, 10:20 AM
    • 1,030 Posts
    • 1,014 Thanks
    gingercordial
    • 8th Sep 17, 10:20 AM
    • 8th Sep 17, 10:20 AM
    As for broadband, he should wait until exchange and then see how long he has until completion. You can start the process before moving in but it takes roughly two weeks for the new supplier to take over and you don't want that date to arrive before the current people move out or they will lose their own connection, and also there's likely to be a router delivered to the house in your son's name, so if there's a long gap he should wait until a fortnight out.

If he has less than two weeks between exchange and completion he may just have to order it on exchange then live without internet for a few days after completion until the new service goes live.
    • Car1980
    • By Car1980 8th Sep 17, 11:14 AM
    • 233 Posts
    • 112 Thanks
    Car1980
    • 8th Sep 17, 11:14 AM
    • 8th Sep 17, 11:14 AM
    Ring them after exchange and tell them the date you complete.
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 8th Sep 17, 9:51 PM
    • 3,064 Posts
    • 7,099 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    • 8th Sep 17, 9:51 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 9:51 PM
    Thanks all.....he's keen to sort things out so I'll tell him to do his homework re suppliers & sign up only when he gets the keys
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

• shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 8th Sep 17, 10:05 PM
    • 1,419 Posts
    • 1,865 Thanks
    shortcrust
    • 8th Sep 17, 10:05 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 10:05 PM
    I moved in on a Friday, took readings straight away and called them all on the Monday.

I think you have to initially sign up with existing supplies for gas and electric but you can switch right away.
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 18th Sep 17, 8:54 PM
    • 3,064 Posts
    • 7,099 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    • 18th Sep 17, 8:54 PM
    • 18th Sep 17, 8:54 PM
    Could I ask one more question please - though I think this could be a little more tricky!

Son signed the paperwork today with the intention of exchanging tomorrow & completing Wednesday but after coming back from the solicitors, he rang the insurance company to start the buildings/contents policy.

The insurance co have informed him that in 2015 a claim was made for flooding - though what I think they mean that there was a leak causing nearly £2k worth of damage as the property is on a hill lol.

However on the property information form the no bid has been ticked in relation to any insurance claims & the insurance co said, that because of this claim the premium would double for son.

He's yet to hear from the sellers (we think it's a probate sale) but is there anything that he should be considering ?

(The survey did state that there were signs of a historic leak by the tank but there was no current damp etc)

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

15Posts Today

4,362Users online

Martin's Twitter