Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • purpleroad
    • By purpleroad 8th Sep 17, 9:35 AM
    • 51Posts
    • 3Thanks
    purpleroad
    Back pay unpaid NI payments and up other pension?
    • 8th Sep 17, 9:35 AM
    Back pay unpaid NI payments and up other pension? 8th Sep 17 at 9:35 AM
    Am 43 and was abroad for a long time so haven't kept up to date with NI payments- shall back pay 4 years I can still back pay? I have missed a fair few years? Think it's £600 a year. Worth it?

I was in the workbased government pension and then went self employed and so carried it on am paying £70 a month- is it enough?

Also the (government) workbased pension my company employed a financial advisor for the investments. Myself and company paid in £1700 and it was £2200 so good (medium risk). However, now I am not working in that company anymore so as market conditions change how do I know if these investments will stay good? What to do?

Basically I have years of no NI contributions and no private pension whatsoever.
Page 1
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 8th Sep 17, 10:11 AM
    • 22,868 Posts
    • 13,226 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 8th Sep 17, 10:11 AM
    • 8th Sep 17, 10:11 AM
    Have you obtained a new state pension statement and checked your position regarding having worked overseas?

https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension

https://www.gov.uk/new-state-pension/living-and-working-overseas

https://www.royallondon.com/Global/documents/GoodWithYourMoney/TOPPING-UP-YOUR-STATE-PENSION-GUIDE.pdf

no private pension whatsoever.
    I don't quite understand what you mean.

You returned from abroad, worked for a company with a DC pension scheme into which you were auto enrolled - you and your company contributed to the scheme - you have left the company but continue to contribute so you do have a private pension?

You are receiving annual statements?

Whether you are contributing enough is another matter.
    • purpleroad
    • By purpleroad 9th Sep 17, 9:10 AM
    • 51 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    purpleroad
    • 9th Sep 17, 9:10 AM
    • 9th Sep 17, 9:10 AM
    Have you obtained a new state pension statement and checked your position regarding having worked overseas?

https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension

https://www.gov.uk/new-state-pension/living-and-working-overseas

https://www.royallondon.com/Global/documents/GoodWithYourMoney/TOPPING-UP-YOUR-STATE-PENSION-GUIDE.pdf

I don't quite understand what you mean.

You returned from abroad, worked for a company with a DC pension scheme into which you were auto enrolled - you and your company contributed to the scheme - you have left the company but continue to contribute so you do have a private pension?

You are receiving annual statements?

Whether you are contributing enough is another matter.
    Originally posted by xylophone

Yes, I have checked my state pension statement and have missed a lot of years. Can still back pay 4 years.

I was auto enrolled by my old company into that pension scheme that the government set up 4 years ago or so. Work based pension or something. When I finished at this company and went self employed I had the option of continuing with the company- Aviva so I decided to pay into it. obviously nobody matches what I pay in because I am working for myself. I guess this is a private pension.
    • p00hsticks
    • By p00hsticks 9th Sep 17, 9:56 AM
    • 5,589 Posts
    • 5,133 Thanks
    p00hsticks
    • 9th Sep 17, 9:56 AM
    • 9th Sep 17, 9:56 AM
    Yes, I have checked my state pension statement and have missed a lot of years. Can still back pay 4 years.
    Originally posted by purpleroad
    But how many years does it say you need to reach the maximum ?
    How much longer do you intend to continue working ?
    And will that be in this country ?

At 43 you won't reach State Pension age until 67 at least - so if you intend on carrying on working in the UK until then that's another 23/4 years of NI payments
    • purpleroad
    • By purpleroad 12th Sep 17, 10:49 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    purpleroad
    • 12th Sep 17, 10:49 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 10:49 PM
    I missed a lot of years.

No idea if I will be in the UK

is it worth back paying those 4 years?
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 12th Sep 17, 10:58 PM
    • 22,868 Posts
    • 13,226 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 12th Sep 17, 10:58 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 10:58 PM
    Have you read the third link in post 2?
    • p00hsticks
    • By p00hsticks 13th Sep 17, 10:32 AM
    • 5,589 Posts
    • 5,133 Thanks
    p00hsticks
    • 13th Sep 17, 10:32 AM
    • 13th Sep 17, 10:32 AM

As before - no one can say without knowing what you currently have built up and what your intentions are for the future - read the links that xylophone has posted to step you through the points.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 13th Sep 17, 12:31 PM
    • 17,001 Posts
    • 11,182 Thanks
    molerat
    • 13th Sep 17, 12:31 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 12:31 PM
    As above.

I have 8 missing years available to buy and DWP will quite happily allow me to pay something around £5.5K for them but I know that 7 of them will give me absolutely no benefit whatsoever. (apart from the warm fuzzy feeling of donating around £5K to HM Treasury).
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • purpleroad
    • By purpleroad 19th Sep 17, 11:31 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    purpleroad
    • 19th Sep 17, 11:31 PM
    • 19th Sep 17, 11:31 PM
    I am 43 yrs old. I have 12 full years of contributions.

I was abroad for 11 yrs

23 yrs to contribute until 2040

16 yrs when I didn't contribute enough.

I can back pay 2005-2009. Roughly 4 or 5 years. Should I pay it? It's £690 a year.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 20th Sep 17, 7:48 AM
    • 17,001 Posts
    • 11,182 Thanks
    molerat
    How much is your current amount - years are irrelevant, it is the £ that matters pre 2016. How much is your forecast amount ?
    • purpleroad
    • By purpleroad 20th Sep 17, 7:57 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    purpleroad
    How much is your current amount - years are irrelevant, it is the £ that matters pre 2016. How much is your forecast amount ?
    Originally posted by molerat

You can get your State Pension on 20 February 2041. Your forecast is
    £159.55 a week
    £693.76 a month, £8,325.09 a year

should I backpay ?
    • molerat
    • By molerat 20th Sep 17, 11:24 PM
    • 17,001 Posts
    • 11,182 Thanks
    molerat
    Originally posted by molerat
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,918Posts Today

8,276Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin