Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Smallfry1
    • By Smallfry1 8th Sep 17, 9:07 AM
    • 11Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Smallfry1
    Neighbours new business
    • 8th Sep 17, 9:07 AM
    Neighbours new business 8th Sep 17 at 9:07 AM
    Our next door but one neighbour has started a home dog boarding business. Our houses are a terrace with small courtyard gardens and shared access. The dogs are a complete nuisance. They bark incessantly and foul their yard which stinks. Our neighbours are nice people but totally self centred and thoughtless, their immediate neighbours have had lots of issues which the couple have refused to sort out costing them lots of money. I'm hoping to sell my home in the next couple of years so am wary of making waves but it's making it intolerable living here and I think will make it difficult to sell, we've tried the tea and cake approach and that hasn't worked, what can I do?
Page 3
    • tiz
    • By tiz 9th Sep 17, 12:05 PM
    • 95 Posts
    • 110 Thanks
    tiz
    Licensed dog walker and "cash in hand" boarder ... Someone reported her (not me) but she said she was looking after the dogs for friends, not charging for the a service so that was that. I know she charges.
    Originally posted by Soot2006
    Report her again. That excuse only works once. Not being licensed also invalidates her insurance (presuming she's got some) which means if anything happens even if it's not her fault the dogs owners have no recourse. It also means she hasn't had the inspection that checks for things like fire safety and evacuation plan for the dogs.
    • tiz
    • By tiz 9th Sep 17, 12:14 PM
    • 95 Posts
    • 110 Thanks
    tiz
    And a quick check suggests that councils do not really distinguish between the two in considering whether to grant a licence.

So it looks like a licence would still be needed but I suspect no planning permission assuming the business is small enough in terms of impact on the property to be considered as ancillary to the residential use of the house.
    Originally posted by GrumpyDil
    They do, you want to looks at the Model Condition for Home Boarding (Dogs) rather than the Model Conditions for Dog Boarding, which covers kennels.

The exact conditions vary between councils and some conditions will be the same whether its a kennels or a home boarding e.g. the requirement for vaccinations but there is a lot of differences between the two. In fact having any form of kennel like structure or separate accommodation to your home generally means you are not able to get a home boarding licence - it specifically only applies to dogs being kept in a domestic dwelling like a family pet would normally live.

Generally no planning permission is needed. However part of the licensing process does involve assessing how many dogs can be boarded (sometimes this may be limited to just one). Also the provision for waste disposal.
    • staffie1
    • By staffie1 9th Sep 17, 12:30 PM
    • 1,599 Posts
    • 1,291 Thanks
    staffie1
    OP don't get embroiled in all this. Put your house on the market and get out of it - don't wait 2 years when all this will be in writing and will have to be declared.
    If you will the end, you must will the means
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 9th Sep 17, 12:39 PM
    • 23,526 Posts
    • 89,339 Thanks
    Davesnave

Generally no planning permission is needed. However part of the licensing process does involve assessing how many dogs can be boarded (sometimes this may be limited to just one). Also the provision for waste disposal.
    Originally posted by tiz

Thanks for clarifying all this.

So there can be a middle ground, where the situation is assessed and a licence granted for an appropriate size of enterprise.

Sounds very sensible.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

118Posts Today

2,076Users online

Martin's Twitter