Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Smallfry1
    • By Smallfry1 8th Sep 17, 9:07 AM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Smallfry1
    Neighbours new business
    • 8th Sep 17, 9:07 AM
    Neighbours new business 8th Sep 17 at 9:07 AM
    Our next door but one neighbour has started a home dog boarding business. Our houses are a terrace with small courtyard gardens and shared access. The dogs are a complete nuisance. They bark incessantly and foul their yard which stinks. Our neighbours are nice people but totally self centred and thoughtless, their immediate neighbours have had lots of issues which the couple have refused to sort out costing them lots of money. I'm hoping to sell my home in the next couple of years so am wary of making waves but it's making it intolerable living here and I think will make it difficult to sell, we've tried the tea and cake approach and that hasn't worked, what can I do?
Page 2
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 8th Sep 17, 12:15 PM
    • 1,634 Posts
    • 4,397 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    It isn't - but the fact that the dogs are barking so much would worry me and suggest that they aren't happy.

If the dogs are being kept in a small garden, they will need extra exercise and playtime. If they are just put out in the courtyard to entertain themselves, I wouldn't want to pay someone for that.
    Originally posted by Mojisola
    This is all speculation though. Lots of people have dogs and live in terraced houses with yards, in itself there is no reason why this would mean anything untoward, just from that info its impossible to know if they are properly looked after or not, just as its impossible to know if a dog that lives in a big house with a huge garden is being properly looked after.

Dog mess in the yard is not a good sign, that needs to be sorted. I admit I don't always clear up after mine immediately if its raining or dark etc. but with more than 1 dog in a relatively small space it really needs to be picked up as soon as it is deposited!
    • Smallfry1
    • By Smallfry1 8th Sep 17, 1:01 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Smallfry1
    I just want to clarify that I don't think the dogs are being mistreated in any way, if I did there would be no question of me reporting it. The smell comes from the sheer number of dogs fouling a small area. It is cleared once a day but is put in a normal residential bin that is only emptiedo fortnightly so smells especially in the warmer weather. The dogs bark lots but I agree they are in a strange place and there are lots of them so not their fault I just don't feel it's fair on us to have to put up with the noise and smell. When we do move I will definitely be looking for a more self contained property. Previously we have been very lucky with considerate neighbours and didn't realise what an effect inconsiderate neighbours can have.
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 8th Sep 17, 1:17 PM
    • 1,634 Posts
    • 4,397 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    I'm not sure you can complain about dog waste that is bagged up and put in a bin! Your neighbours could have 5 of their own dogs and you'd have the same issue, or several children in nappies.

How many dogs are we talking about?
    Last edited by Red-Squirrel; 08-09-2017 at 1:20 PM.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 8th Sep 17, 1:36 PM
    • 13,454 Posts
    • 36,651 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Having a diary and recording of dogs could help the OP disprove that if the neighbour tries the same story.
    Originally posted by Mojisola
    Agreed.

I've certainly found that when I challenged someone about doing cash in hand work at one point - they were apparently "doing favours for friends". Yeh....right....
    If there's "4 tendencies" type of people (Gretchen Rubin) = yep....Questioner type here
    - Meets an expectation only if they believe it's justified and resists anything arbitrary or ineffective
    • leslieknope
    • By leslieknope 8th Sep 17, 1:39 PM
    • 249 Posts
    • 349 Thanks
    leslieknope
    our dog is always barking. he's happy, really well treated (too well i think sometimes), we have a large garden and is walked often. yet whenever he's happy r wants to play, he barks. trying to train him not to but he has that little dog complex... i apologise to the neighbours. some dogs just want to watch the world and bark!

as for the smell, we have one of these: http://www.kedronnaturalproducts.co.uk/model-3000-suitable-for-two-large-or-up-to-four-small-dogs.html might be something to suggest to them? it's a much nicer way to dispose of dog waste and it's a little more eco friendly too!
    CCCC #33: £42/£240
    DFW: £4355/£4405
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 8th Sep 17, 1:41 PM
    • 8,234 Posts
    • 4,898 Thanks
    teddysmum
    Two years ago, I did a home visit for a rescue whose dog a lady who boarded dogs wanted to adopt.

Her rural premises were beautifully clean and secure with the house laid out in a dog friendly manner. You couldn't tell which of the boarders were her own two dogs and any newcomers were vetted to make sure they got on with the others.

She said she was sure that I would find the premises in good order, as she had to have (annual ?) inspections in order to run her business.
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 8th Sep 17, 3:59 PM
    • 3,109 Posts
    • 3,840 Thanks
    bouicca21
    I am not currently a dog owner, but if I were to get another dog and needed a dog walker and doggy day care, I'd be expecting my dog to be good and tired after the walks (plural) and thus not bored and barking at all.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 8th Sep 17, 4:55 PM
    • 23,147 Posts
    • 88,509 Thanks
    Davesnave
    our dog is always barking. he's happy, really well treated (too well i think sometimes), we have a large garden and is walked often. yet whenever he's happy r wants to play, he barks. trying to train him not to but he has that little dog complex... i apologise to the neighbours. some dogs just want to watch the world and bark!
    Originally posted by leslieknope
    You sound like the typical dog owner who, having failed to control their pet, psycho-analyses it and make excuses based on the mumbo-jumbo they produce.

Can you imagine the late, great, Barbara Woodhouse, turning to the camera in the 1980s and saying, "Sorry, this one is just too small to learn any discipline!"
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • parking_question_chap
    • By parking_question_chap 8th Sep 17, 5:17 PM
    • 1,396 Posts
    • 1,209 Thanks
    parking_question_chap
    If its as significant as you state, they might need planning permission.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 8th Sep 17, 5:25 PM
    • 3,578 Posts
    • 2,659 Thanks
    sheramber
    https://www.gov.uk/animal-boarding-establishment-licence
    • leslieknope
    • By leslieknope 8th Sep 17, 5:41 PM
    • 249 Posts
    • 349 Thanks
    leslieknope
    i never said that he was too small to learn discipline or that i wasn't teaching him... he's prone to barking, which i am teaching him not to. he's a puppy. puppies bark and some more than others. they take time to learn things. doesn't mean they're unhappy.
    CCCC #33: £42/£240
    DFW: £4355/£4405
    • zagubov
    • By zagubov 8th Sep 17, 5:58 PM
    • 14,766 Posts
    • 126,129 Thanks
    zagubov
    I take it mortgage companies and home and contents insurance agencies don't need to give approval for such changes of use of a residential premises?
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 8th Sep 17, 6:15 PM
    • 23,147 Posts
    • 88,509 Thanks
    Davesnave
    i never said that he was too small to learn discipline or that i wasn't teaching him... he's prone to barking, which i am teaching him not to. he's a puppy. puppies bark and some more than others. they take time to learn things. doesn't mean they're unhappy.
    Originally posted by leslieknope
    You described him as a dog, when 'puppy' would have set the context.

Yes, you're right; some breeds bark much more than others and puppies need firm, calm and consistent teaching.

Any dog in a strange place, like a dog-sitter's back yard, might bark for a variety of reasons, like nervousness, excitement or an expression of sociability; it's hard to say. What we can be sure of is that the concrete and stone around will create echoes and make it doubly noisy for neighbours.

I don't expect your neighbours will be too concerned if you've explained the situation to them.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • sleepymans
    • By sleepymans 8th Sep 17, 6:25 PM
    • 604 Posts
    • 891 Thanks
    sleepymans
    Dogs!! Hmmmmm
    Complete nightmare mostly.................good luck with trying to sell
    Goddess
    • kinger101
    • By kinger101 9th Sep 17, 8:57 AM
    • 3,817 Posts
    • 5,212 Thanks
    kinger101
    I don't think they would, though may take action if licence needed and business does not have one.
    Originally posted by comeandgo
    The licence is needed and they wouldn't have one as one wouldn't be granted based on the description of the above premises. There is an animal welfare issue if steps haven't been taken to prevent spread of infectious disease.
    Last edited by kinger101; 09-09-2017 at 9:00 AM.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 9th Sep 17, 9:17 AM
    • 23,147 Posts
    • 88,509 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Someone who tried to set up a business similar to this in my area went through the correct channels and, unsurprisingly, their application received a huge number of objections. It was turned down. That was for a detached property with a good amount of space, but surrounded by other residences.

I can imagine what would happen in this case, were an application to be made retrospectively.

Kennels, whether day-only or overnight, ought to be situated away from other people's houses. It's common-sense.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 9th Sep 17, 9:55 AM
    • 29,803 Posts
    • 17,818 Thanks
    getmore4less
    Your local council planning site should have the record of any licence application or one in progress.

here is an example
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 9th Sep 17, 10:32 AM
    • 1,634 Posts
    • 4,397 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel

Kennels, whether day-only or overnight, ought to be situated away from other people's houses. It's common-sense.
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    This is home boarding though, totally different to kennels. Like the difference between a childminder and a nursery school.
    • GrumpyDil
    • By GrumpyDil 9th Sep 17, 10:45 AM
    • 75 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    GrumpyDil
    This is home boarding though, totally different to kennels. Like the difference between a childminder and a nursery school.
    Originally posted by Red-Squirrel
    And a quick check suggests that councils do not really distinguish between the two in considering whether to grant a licence.

So it looks like a licence would still be needed but I suspect no planning permission assuming the business is small enough in terms of impact on the property to be considered as ancillary to the residential use of the house.
    • Tygermoth
    • By Tygermoth 9th Sep 17, 11:27 AM
    • 1,273 Posts
    • 2,576 Thanks
    Tygermoth
    Our dog goes to a fabulous doggy daycare with a lovely lady (ex vet nurse) the house, and long small garden is immaculate. She has a set number of dogs per day outlined by the council licence.

They are all vetted to get on - have a chill out area, crated spaces, sofas and access via a porch from the house to the garden and the dogs free roam - with her on hand. We get updates during the day and a webcam if we want to check in.... (not that they are in often she takes them on days out all the time - parks, seaside and lakes)

This being said i was amazed she had a licence only because she is a small mid terrace in a heavily urban area. Rows and rows of old terraces - back to back. The dogs do bark (not mine, I may add!) and charge about quite often which can make a surprising amount of noise - also her van and cars with the on street parking - the dog owners coming to drop off or pick up their dogs must cause issues (but she's noted on the council website, fully insured and her checks are excellent)

So apparently you can get a licence for that type of setup - i would have expected her neighbours to have objected (who wouldn't) but its seems that she was still licenced.

It maybe however there is a lack of this service locally especially quality, qualified genuinely animal focused - rather than money making.
    Last edited by Tygermoth; 09-09-2017 at 11:43 AM.
    Please note I have a cognitive disability - as such my wording can be a bit off, muddled, misspelt or in some cases i can miss out some words totally...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

221Posts Today

1,545Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @iiSteveJonesii: @MartinSLewis After watching you talk this morning about me burning £300 I got on a comparison site tonight & sure enou?

• In or near York? This Wed the @itvmlshow Roadshow" will be at the York Food & Drink Festival - do come and say hi; St Sampsons Square 11-4.

• It's the subtle poetry and lyricism of tweets like this that I find so endearing https://t.co/XhSKBCGyXe

• Follow Martin