Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Smallfry1
    • By Smallfry1 8th Sep 17, 9:07 AM
    • 11Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Smallfry1
    Neighbours new business
    • 8th Sep 17, 9:07 AM
    Neighbours new business 8th Sep 17 at 9:07 AM
    Our next door but one neighbour has started a home dog boarding business. Our houses are a terrace with small courtyard gardens and shared access. The dogs are a complete nuisance. They bark incessantly and foul their yard which stinks. Our neighbours are nice people but totally self centred and thoughtless, their immediate neighbours have had lots of issues which the couple have refused to sort out costing them lots of money. I'm hoping to sell my home in the next couple of years so am wary of making waves but it's making it intolerable living here and I think will make it difficult to sell, we've tried the tea and cake approach and that hasn't worked, what can I do?
Page 1
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 8th Sep 17, 9:25 AM
    • 13,987 Posts
    • 37,983 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    • 8th Sep 17, 9:25 AM
    • 8th Sep 17, 9:25 AM
    Perhaps the Council:
    - Environmental Health Department re noise and smell.

Perhaps the Council:
    - Are they due to pay business rates on their house now, instead of ordinary Council Tax? Worth finding out

Perhaps HMRC;
    - Are they paying tax on their extra income?

I expect at least one of these ideas are "things they havent thought of".
    #MeToo

Why should our needs override the needs of all other living species? What makes us so special? (Brigit Strawbridge)
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 8th Sep 17, 9:27 AM
    • 28,549 Posts
    • 72,712 Thanks
    Mojisola
    • 8th Sep 17, 9:27 AM
    • 8th Sep 17, 9:27 AM
    Our next door but one neighbour has started a home dog boarding business. Our houses are a terrace with small courtyard gardens and shared access.
    Originally posted by Smallfry1
    Have they got a licence? It doesn't sound like a suitable place to run a dog boarding business from.
    www.gov.uk/animal-boarding-establishment-licence
    • kinger101
    • By kinger101 8th Sep 17, 9:53 AM
    • 3,942 Posts
    • 5,392 Thanks
    kinger101
    • 8th Sep 17, 9:53 AM
    • 8th Sep 17, 9:53 AM
    I might also be inclined to call the RSPCA. I think they'd take rather a dim view on the conditions in which the dogs are being kept.
    • comeandgo
    • By comeandgo 8th Sep 17, 10:12 AM
    • 1,868 Posts
    • 2,512 Thanks
    comeandgo
    • 8th Sep 17, 10:12 AM
    • 8th Sep 17, 10:12 AM
    I might also be inclined to call the RSPCA. I think they'd take rather a dim view on the conditions in which the dogs are being kept.
    Originally posted by kinger101
    I don't think they would, though may take action if licence needed and business does not have one.
    • tiz
    • By tiz 8th Sep 17, 10:14 AM
    • 98 Posts
    • 111 Thanks
    tiz
    • 8th Sep 17, 10:14 AM
    • 8th Sep 17, 10:14 AM
    Check with your local council whether they have a licence. The council should have been out and inspected as part of the licence process and set a limit for how many dogs they can board at once in the space they have.
    • CIS
    • By CIS 8th Sep 17, 10:18 AM
    • 10,074 Posts
    • 5,755 Thanks
    CIS
    • 8th Sep 17, 10:18 AM
    • 8th Sep 17, 10:18 AM
    Check with your local council whether they have a licence. The council should have been out and inspected as part of the licence process and set a limit for how many dogs they can board at once in the space they have.
    Originally posted by tiz
    Usually where licensing is needed a local authority would contact near neighbours if they'd had an application to allow for any objections to be made.

Craig
    I no longer work in Council Tax Recovery as I'm now a self employed Council Tax advisor and consultant with my own Council Tax consultancy business. My views are my own reading of the law and you should always check with the local authority in question.
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 8th Sep 17, 10:23 AM
    • 23,480 Posts
    • 13,652 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 8th Sep 17, 10:23 AM
    • 8th Sep 17, 10:23 AM
    Are they permitted to run a business from a residential premises?
    • Mutton Geoff
    • By Mutton Geoff 8th Sep 17, 10:24 AM
    • 960 Posts
    • 1,007 Thanks
    Mutton Geoff
    • 8th Sep 17, 10:24 AM
    • 8th Sep 17, 10:24 AM
    Start to keep a diary of the times of the disturbances. Possibly some recordings as well. You may well need them later.
    Compensations/Refunds from Banks & Institutions - £4,165 | Stooz Profits - £7,636 | Quidco - £3,963

All with a big thank you to Martin and MSE.com from Mutton Geoff!
    • Smallfry1
    • By Smallfry1 8th Sep 17, 10:38 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Smallfry1
    Thank you for all your advice, I will check with their immediate neighbours but I don't think anyone has been consulted. I'm not concerned for the welfare of the animals as they are nice people and I'm sure wouldn't mistreat them in anyway. I'm just worried that if I take any of the suggested actions I will have to declare it when I sell. Can I do any anonymously?
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 8th Sep 17, 10:52 AM
    • 28,549 Posts
    • 72,712 Thanks
    Mojisola
    Our houses are a terrace with small courtyard gardens and shared access.

The dogs are a complete nuisance.
    They bark incessantly and foul their yard which stinks.

it's making it intolerable living here and I think will make it difficult to sell
    I'm just worried that if I take any of the suggested actions I will have to declare it when I sell.
    Who is going to buy your house if the situation isn't dealt with?

Asking for information doesn't constitute a neighbour dispute.
    • Smallfry1
    • By Smallfry1 8th Sep 17, 11:04 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Smallfry1
    This is true, I shall make some enquiries with the council. Thank you
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 8th Sep 17, 11:06 AM
    • 28,549 Posts
    • 72,712 Thanks
    Mojisola
    It's worrying that people would be willing to leave their dogs in this situation. Are the neighbour's charges very cheap?
    • Smallfry1
    • By Smallfry1 8th Sep 17, 11:11 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Smallfry1
    I have no idea what they charge, she is a dof walker so presumably gets her clients from that business.
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 8th Sep 17, 11:20 AM
    • 1,916 Posts
    • 5,263 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    It's worrying that people would be willing to leave their dogs in this situation. Are the neighbour's charges very cheap?
    Originally posted by Mojisola
    Its quite common for people to leave their dogs living in a home situation rather than in a kennel. My dog walker offers the same service in her own home. Usually its just a case of adding one or two extra dogs to the ones that already live there rather than keeping lots in cages/runs etc. as you would see at a boarding kennel.

The problem for the neighbours is that the training and behaviour of the dogs will be variable, and they are in a strange place so possibly more likely to bark than usual anyway.
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 8th Sep 17, 11:23 AM
    • 28,549 Posts
    • 72,712 Thanks
    Mojisola
    Our houses are a terrace with small courtyard gardens and shared access.

The dogs are a complete nuisance. They bark incessantly and foul their yard which stinks.
    Its quite common for people to leave their dogs living in a home situation rather than in a kennel. My dog walker offers the same service in her own home.
    Originally posted by Red-Squirrel
    I do the same but the home boarders have always had reasonably big gardens which were kept clean.
    • Soot2006
    • By Soot2006 8th Sep 17, 11:24 AM
    • 1,202 Posts
    • 1,203 Thanks
    Soot2006
    You don't happen to live on the other side of my neighbours do you?

Licensed dog walker and "cash in hand" boarder ... Someone reported her (not me) but she said she was looking after the dogs for friends, not charging for the a service so that was that. I know she charges. Thankfully she doesn't have dogs all day every day as she is still a dog walker so is generally out and about but if she has boarders it's like barkfest day and night for a while.
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 8th Sep 17, 11:27 AM
    • 28,549 Posts
    • 72,712 Thanks
    Mojisola
    Start to keep a diary of the times of the disturbances. Possibly some recordings as well. You may well need them later.
    Originally posted by Mutton Geoff
    Licensed dog walker and "cash in hand" boarder ... Someone reported her (not me) but she said she was looking after the dogs for friends, not charging for the a service so that was that.
    Originally posted by Soot2006
    Having a diary and recording of dogs could help the OP disprove that if the neighbour tries the same story.
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 8th Sep 17, 11:29 AM
    • 1,916 Posts
    • 5,263 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    I do the same but the home boarders have always had reasonably big gardens which were kept clean.
    Originally posted by Mojisola
    They should be keeping the yard clean of course, and if the smell is affecting the neighbours it would be reasonable to knock on and ask them to sort it, but I don't think not having a big garden is a dealbreaker on treating the dogs properly. If the neighbour works as a dog walker I assume they are being walked and getting exercise.
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 8th Sep 17, 11:31 AM
    • 28,549 Posts
    • 72,712 Thanks
    Mojisola
    They should be keeping the yard clean of course, and if the smell is affecting the neighbours it would be reasonable to knock on and ask them to sort it, but I don't think not having a big garden is a dealbreaker on treating the dogs properly.

If the neighbour works as a dog walker I assume they are being walked and getting exercise.
    Originally posted by Red-Squirrel
    It isn't - but the fact that the dogs are barking so much would worry me and suggest that they aren't happy.

If the dogs are being kept in a small garden, they will need extra exercise and playtime. If they are just put out in the courtyard to entertain themselves, I wouldn't want to pay someone for that.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

285Posts Today

1,467Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin