Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • frugalmacdugal
    • By frugalmacdugal 8th Sep 17, 7:08 AM
    • 6,157Posts
    • 5,283Thanks
    frugalmacdugal
    Kitchen skills?
    • 8th Sep 17, 7:08 AM
    Kitchen skills? 8th Sep 17 at 7:08 AM
    Hi,

just watching MasterChef from the other night, been watching for years.

So, somebody comes from their kitchen, used to making mac cheese, spag bol, for husband and kids, no fancy presentation.

Next day they are in top London Restaurant, serving 100 folk or so?

Then, as things progress, they're using fancy gadgets that they have probably never heard of before, putting wee dots of stuff on the plate.

Methinks it's a bit 'made for telly'.

Could you go from home kitchen to top London kitchen?
    Y'all take care now.
Page 1
    • kaya
    • By kaya 8th Sep 17, 8:14 AM
    • 2,346 Posts
    • 2,725 Thanks
    kaya
    • 8th Sep 17, 8:14 AM
    • 8th Sep 17, 8:14 AM
    easily so long as you have the intelligence to follow instructions , remember they only make one well tried and tested dish as directed by the chef but as you said its telly not real life so there's a lot of practicing and tutoring we don't see, copy one and try it yourself but you need top quality ingredients and the correct temperatures to make it a success
    • frugalmacdugal
    • By frugalmacdugal 8th Sep 17, 8:32 AM
    • 6,157 Posts
    • 5,283 Thanks
    frugalmacdugal
    • 8th Sep 17, 8:32 AM
    • 8th Sep 17, 8:32 AM
    Hi,

easily so long as you have the intelligence to follow instructions , remember they only make one well tried and tested dish as directed by the chef but as you said its telly not real life so there's a lot of practicing and tutoring we don't see, copy one and try it yourself but you need top quality ingredients and the correct temperatures to make it a success
    Originally posted by kaya
    aye, but the programme makes it look as though they have been flung into a top notch restaurant on second day, and folks are paying top notch prices for the stuff, though again I would think that the restaurant is allowing itself to be 'used', cheap advertising?
    Y'all take care now.
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 8th Sep 17, 12:49 PM
    • 3,241 Posts
    • 6,715 Thanks
    Murphybear
    • 8th Sep 17, 12:49 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 12:49 PM
    Hi,

So, somebody comes from their kitchen, used to making mac cheese, spag bol, for husband and kids, no fancy presentation.

Then, as things progress, they're using fancy gadgets that they have probably never heard of before, putting wee dots of stuff on the plate.

Originally posted by frugalmacdugal
    The restaurants they use for this programme are very high end and expensive. If I were a customer I would not like the idea of "amateur/celebrity" chefs cooking my lunch/dinner without a massive discount on the price
    • colinw
    • By colinw 8th Sep 17, 1:36 PM
    • 50,660 Posts
    • 138,388 Thanks
    colinw
    • 8th Sep 17, 1:36 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 1:36 PM
    Hi,

I sometimes grate cheese on top of me Beans on Toast, I don't use many of those smears on the plate things unless they have not washed properly in the dish washer.
    • andygb
    • By andygb 8th Sep 17, 3:59 PM
    • 11,876 Posts
    • 25,620 Thanks
    andygb
    • 8th Sep 17, 3:59 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 3:59 PM
    I sometimes grate cheese on top of me Beans on Toast, I don't use many of those smears on the plate things unless they have not washed properly in the dish washer.
    Originally posted by colinw

No, no, no Colin, it is far more than that:

Les haricots blanc dans un sauce tomate gratinee sur pain artisanale.

Never undersell yourself mate.
    • andygb
    • By andygb 8th Sep 17, 4:01 PM
    • 11,876 Posts
    • 25,620 Thanks
    andygb
    • 8th Sep 17, 4:01 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 4:01 PM

No, because I would end up thumping someone when they threw perfectly good food in the bin. I hate food waste
    • colinw
    • By colinw 8th Sep 17, 4:06 PM
    • 50,660 Posts
    • 138,388 Thanks
    colinw
    • 8th Sep 17, 4:06 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 4:06 PM
    No, no, no Colin, it is far more than that:

Les haricots blanc dans un sauce tomate gratinee sur pain artisanale.

Never undersell yourself mate.
    Originally posted by andygb
    I like it!
    • AElene
    • By AElene 8th Sep 17, 7:02 PM
    • 69 Posts
    • 355 Thanks
    AElene
    • 8th Sep 17, 7:02 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 7:02 PM
    I cook because I have to, I'd hate to do it as a job! I think even people who like cooking don't always like working in a kitchen environment.
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 8th Sep 17, 7:34 PM
    • 1,794 Posts
    • 2,214 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    I didn't learn to cook as a child. My mum was a dreadful cook - she just didn't have the patience. If the recipe said '2 hours on low', it would get 1 hour on high - if it was lucky. Good job my dad could cook the basics, or we'd have starved to death.

I did have cookery lessons at school - but they were limited to basic cakes and other sweet stuff.

When I got married, I taught myself to cook using a Good Housekeeping instruction manual - and have never looked back.
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 8th Sep 17, 8:15 PM
    • 7,343 Posts
    • 13,495 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    My cooking skills come from watching relatives cooking, tv programmes and YouTube clips
    • Callie22
    • By Callie22 8th Sep 17, 9:27 PM
    • 2,901 Posts
    • 7,911 Thanks
    Callie22
    Really top restaurants have kitchens that are incredibly hierarchical and minutely divided - so you have sections for different things (like sauces, desserts, meat and so on) where staff start at the bottom and work their way up. It's entirely feasible for a reasonably capable amateur to come into a professional kitchen and do ok - as long as you do what you're told and work clean then you can manage. I don't watch these programmes (having worked in kitchens I don't really get or enjoy competitive cookery shows ...) so I'd imagine it's all exaggerated for TV, but in reality a junior chef would only be working on a small part of a meal and everything would be checked on the pass before it goes out, so if they make a mess it'd be replaced before being served anyway
    Save
    • Vickimichelle
    • By Vickimichelle 10th Sep 17, 12:43 AM
    • 1,576 Posts
    • 5,913 Thanks
    Vickimichelle
    I love cooking & I'm a pretty good cook but I'm terrible under pressure so no I couldn't cook in a top restaurant. I get flustered enough having other people round for dinner.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

179Posts Today

1,761Users online

Martin's Twitter